The True Test of The Tunsil Trade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The True Test of The Tunsil Trade

After giving it more thought, I have another angle to view this trade that makes me more comfortable. We'd have to re-sign Tunsil to be the highest paid LT in the league in a few years. Of those, this year we don't need him, because we're tanking and do not have our QB yet. Next year we will need him to protect our QB, but we'll still be tanking. Essentially, the rest of his "contract" would be during a time we don't need him. As soon as we need him, we'd have to pay him the highest salary of any OL in the league. Instead of that, we got 3 high draft picks. Looking at it that way … it's more palatable.

Sure, we'll need a LT to protect our rookie QB in 2020 (or RT if he's a left hander like Tua). But, we can use one of those 1sts to get a LT prospect. Even if he doesn't work out, we have someone with whom to build the OL, and by then hopefully Julie'n Davenport will have developed into a serviceable blindside protector. Maybe …. maybe not, but it's worth those draft picks to take the risk.

Seeing as we're giving Jesse Davis some cross-training at LT, he might be able to play there if we draft Tua, because it will not be his blindside. I'm feeling better and better about this trade, despite it being potentially problematic for our young QB in 2020.

To me, the litmus test will be what we do with those picks, and whether we can find a decent blindside protector for our QB allowing him to develop. Wasting Tunsil's best (and cheapest) years isn't worth losing out on those draft picks.
I think getting the left handed Tua goes hand-in-hand with the thinking. Tunsil is soon to be overvalued for us in just the ways you list....elite RTs can be had for typically less than elite LTs in the draft/FA. On top of that I think we got above market value for the trades as-is, on a league-wide basis. So factoring in our specific situation just made the deal impossible to pass up. But it does make getting Tua absolutely imperative.

LOL, how hilarious would it be if we signed Tunsil as a FA. 2 first rounders for a 2 year rental. I'm giddy with the notion since after AFCE and Baltimore, Texans are next on my most hated list.

After giving it more thought, I have another angle to view this trade that makes me more comfortable. We'd have to re-sign Tunsil to be the highest paid LT in the league in a few years. Of those, this year we don't need him, because we're tanking and do not have our QB yet. Next year we will need him to protect our QB, but we'll still be tanking. Essentially, the rest of his "contract" would be during a time we don't need him. As soon as we need him, we'd have to pay him the highest salary of any OL in the league. Instead of that, we got 3 high draft picks. Looking at it that way … it's more palatable.

Sure, we'll need a LT to protect our rookie QB in 2020 (or RT if he's a left hander like Tua). But, we can use one of those 1sts to get a LT prospect. Even if he doesn't work out, we have someone with whom to build the OL, and by then hopefully Julie'n Davenport will have developed into a serviceable blindside protector. Maybe …. maybe not, but it's worth those draft picks to take the risk.

Seeing as we're giving Jesse Davis some cross-training at LT, he might be able to play there if we draft Tua, because it will not be his blindside. I'm feeling better and better about this trade, despite it being potentially problematic for our young QB in 2020.

To me, the litmus test will be what we do with those picks, and whether we can find a decent blindside protector for our QB allowing him to develop. Wasting Tunsil's best (and cheapest) years isn't worth losing out on those draft picks.
Nice post

The big problem with Tunsil is and will be his run blocking ability. Add that to the fact that Watson likes to hang on to the ball way too long and causes a good share of sacks himself, leads me to wonder why they paid what they did for Tunsil. He doesnt seem to be a fit for them

I would have been upset if Miami traded two 1st round picks for Tunsil. I was upset, when they traded for Ricky Williams. And he was much better a player than Tunsil, will ever be. But getting the Haul Miami got in the trade was a big win for them.

IMO both teams got what they wanted, so it was a win-win. The issue with draft picks is they don’t mean much if you can’t draft and Miami has had more misses than hits in the first round for the better part of 2 decades. I imagine it will take 2-4 years to know how well we made out from the trade.

IMO both teams got what they wanted, so it was a win-win. The issue with draft picks is they don’t mean much if you can’t draft and Miami has had more misses than hits in the first round for the better part of 2 decades. I imagine it will take 2-4 years to know how well we made out from the trade.
Because how we drafted under Jimmy Johnson, Rick Spielman, Randy Mueller, Dennis Hickey, Jeff Ireland, et. al. has one iota of bearing on our future drafts.

When we draft a QB and new LT and don't have to pay them **** for 5 years I think we will all understand the trade. These next 2-3 years would have been an absolute waste of Tunsil's potential. I think we did right by him. You have to spin it somehow because on the surface it hurts to lose a guy we all thought would be here for long time.

I get a chubby evertime I think of the next two drafts. Hell weve suffered mediocrity so long I forget what it feels like to have a contender anyways.

What I find downright ridiculous (and hilarious) is that many of the fans griping ad nauseam about the team being bad for the next season or two are largely the same fans that griped ad nauseam that the team was stuck in the mediocre 8-8, 7-9 rut and lacked direction.

Now the team has taken a hard direction since mediocre isn't working and they still complain. Go figure.

Because how we drafted under Jimmy Johnson, Rick Spielman, Randy Mueller, Dennis Hickey, Jeff Ireland, et. al. has one iota of bearing on our future drafts.

Grier has been our GM since 2016. Look at our team now. We have young guys with upside, but where are the impact players? X is pretty much the only one at this point and he was a 2nd rounder.

Grier has been our GM since 2016. Look at our team now. We have young guys with upside, but where are the impact players? X is pretty much the only one at this point and he was a 2nd rounder.
Fair point, I only took issue was "the better part of two decades."

I (and most everyone else) thought Minkah was an impact player. Looks like now that remains to be seen.

He selected Tunsil, who I consider an elite LT. Just snagged 2 firsts and a 2nd (and other considerations) for him and Stills.

While most of his (or anyone else's) drafts are not going to be as good as his 2016 draft (Tunsil, Howard, Drake, Grant), I believe he is a good evaluator of talent, and the addition of Marvin Allen, Reggie McKenzie and Adam Engroff will only help our future evaluation process.

We can allocate Tunsil's future salary to 2-3 decent olineman. People forget that even with Tunsil this line was gonna be bottom of the league. We need 3-4 good lineman. And it helps the tank and gives us three premium picks? It was a no brainer. And has been mentioned, Tua is left handed. The position value would have been neutered.

With this new oline coach I dont think we have to have 9 1st rounder on that line to get a good line. I am shooting for next year to have a just below average line. 15-20th. With Tua that should be good enough until 2021 when we make a run.

Fair point, I only took issue was "the better part of two decades."

I (and most everyone else) thought Minkah was an impact player. Looks like now that remains to be seen.

He selected Tunsil, who I consider an elite LT. Just snagged 2 firsts and a 2nd (and other considerations) for him and Stills.

While most of his (or anyone else's) drafts are not going to be as good as his 2016 draft (Tunsil, Howard, Drake, Grant), I believe he is a good evaluator of talent, and the addition of Marvin Allen, Reggie McKenzie and Adam Engroff will only help our future evaluation process.

Tunsil and X were great draft picks. I have faith Minkah can turn things around. I just can’t call the trade a win for Miami until I see the picks turn into 1-2 impact players.

Tunsil and X were great draft picks. I have faith Minkah can turn things around. I just can’t call the trade a win for Miami until I see the picks turn into 1-2 impact players.
It was a great trade from a draft capital standpoint.

If we don't trade the picks for great players, or select the right players, ouch!

Back
Top Bottom