The Tua-point conversion | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Tua-point conversion

Then why aren't you blasting the hell out of the coaching staff for that ridiculous play call in that situation? That play call was DOA. Such a low percentage play in that situation. Any team with actual playoff aspirations would be getting blasted by everyone and the OC would be on the chopping block the next day.

I’m not arguing that the play call was a good one. It didn’t work. Any play that doesn’t work is the wrong one.

But just because the play didn’t work doesn’t mean they were trying to lose. As I also stated, they also seems to make some sound play calls in driving the field in 2 minutes to score the TD. Why do that if you’re trying to lose? Why make the QB change???

Seems things were going as they wanted (according to you) so why risk turning things the other way??? But they did make the change with time to recover. And they did make some really good plays needed to score.

Because they weren’t trying to purposely lose. I don’t see how you can see that!

The more obvious tank tactic is starting that disaster at QB instead of Fitzpatrick. I’m more and more pissed we wasted two draft picks on that scrub.

You have listed precisely THREE examples in about 3 and a half seasons of the NFL. That's 3 in 896 games...

I listed TWO from just the first 6 weeks of THIS season!!! Now there’s THREE!!

Are you freaking kidding me?! You’re are trying WAY to hard to convince yourself.

Besides, the examples I cited are merely the ones I remember off the top of my head. They aren’t the only examples. SMH.

I’m not arguing that the play call was a good one. It didn’t work. Any play that doesn’t work is the wrong one.

But just because the play didn’t work doesn’t mean they were trying to lose. As I also stated, they also seems to make some sound play calls in driving the field in 2 minutes to score the TD. Why do that if you’re trying to lose? Why make the QB change???

Seems things were going as they wanted (according to you) so why risk turning things the other way??? But they did make the change with time to recover. And they did make some really good plays needed to score.

Because they weren’t trying to purposely lose. I don’t see how you can see that!

I don't think they were purposely trying to lose either, and if they are, they should all be fired. All I said is it may invite scrutiny from the league given the context because it was suspicious...

But if they were trying to lose, replacing Rosen with Fitzpatrick may not have been about actually winning at all, but rather saving Rosen from some serious punishment this game. It's not like they had any evidence Fitzpatrick would light the world on fire or mount any kind of comeback considering his history with the team. Rosen has been far better than Fitzpatrick this season outside of this game.

After Fitz started scoring, its not like they could go back and bench him "for being successful". They would have no choice but to ride with him, and they'd have little control in his overall performance throughout that span, outside of specific situations, like say a goal line 2 pt opportunity, when a very poor play call may limit his chances for success on that final play.

Last edited:
I listed TWO from just the first 6 weeks of THIS season!!! Now there’s THREE!!

Are you freaking kidding me?! You’re are trying WAY to hard to convince yourself.

Besides, the examples I cited are merely the ones I remember off the top of my head. They aren’t the only examples. SMH.

They very well may be the only examples. Find the others. There isn't some plethora of game-ending 2 pt conversions out there... Otherwise there wouldn't be so many OT games in the league.

You have listed precisely THREE examples in about 3 and a half seasons of the NFL. That's 3 in 896 games...

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Just because only 4 examples have been discussed doesn’t mean those are the only valid examples.

You sure like to jump to conclusions and run wild with things.....

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Just because only 4 examples have been discussed doesn’t mean those are the only valid examples.

You sure like to jump to conclusions and run wild with things.....

You put it out there as if it proves your point. The onus is on you to provide a full accounting of such scenarios since you suggest its not rare. If it isn't rare, it shouldn't be difficult to find more than 3 examples (with the 4th being the game we just saw).

They very well may be the only examples. Find the others.

You find the others. I’m not here to do work for you.

3 examples just from the first 6 weeks of THIS season have been cited. If that’s not enough for you to understand that the decision wasn’t unprecedented, I don’t know what else to tell you.

You can continue on living in an ivory tower inventing your own facts. I’m done reasoning with you.

You find the others. I’m not here to do work for you.

3 examples just from the first 6 weeks of THIS season have been cited. If that’s not enough for you to understand that the decision wasn’t unprecedented, I don’t know what else to tell you.

You can continue on living in an ivory tower inventing your own facts. I’m done reasoning with you.

I never said it was unprecedented, I said it was rare, which it is. And funny enough, the only time it's actually led to the team winning that any of us can recall was that Raiders gamble Week 1 vs Saints in 2016. So out of that sample set, 1 in 4 success rate. Not good.

Bottomline, if your team was looking to lose in that situation, the move to do would be to go for 2 and call a horrendous play behind the LOS, instead of going into OT with a fresh opportunity which has a far greater success rate.

I think we are reading too much into it. The coach did make the qb change that put us in the position to win in the first place and called the plays that got us to tie the game. It could be argued that the coach did not think we could pull it out in OT.

I think this game more than any other will satisfy the inquiries from the league's competitive commity.

But it was obvious we were tanking from the get go. From benching X. Howard, to having Preston Williams returning kicks, to activating Bobby McCain, to starting Mark Walton with Drake and Ballage healthy.

All of these things together would be a huge red flag for the coaching staff if we are not blatantly tanking. We either have coaches that know exactly what they are doing, or a coaching staff that has no idea what they are doing.

I thought Mark Walton had a great game.

In a league where the offense has every advantage possible, teams should go for the win in that situation - one play to get two yards- just about every time. They should never call the play that we called...well, maybe against our D...

I'm okay with going for it. BUT, the play called was terrible! That, IMO, was a perfect example of a Gase playcall in a critical situation. Throwing it at or behind the line of scrimmage with an inept o-line was probably Gase's favorite play. Besides, Drake sucks this year... why trust him with the game on the line? I'm beginning to think that the management is actively tanking, due to that playcall and the fact that they refused to build a competent o-line so that they could properly evaluate Rosen. If their plan is to draft another QB with their first pick next year, the smart thing to do would have been to have a competent o-line in place to protect that new QB!

Back
Top Bottom