The Tua-point conversion | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Tua-point conversion

I think we are reading too much into it. The coach did make the qb change that put us in the position to win in the first place and called the plays that got us to tie the game. It could be argued that the coach did not think we could pull it out in OT.

I think this game more than any other will satisfy the inquiries from the league's competitive commity.

But it was obvious we were tanking from the get go. From benching X. Howard, to having Preston Williams returning kicks, to activating Bobby McCain, to starting Mark Walton with Drake and Ballage healthy.

All of these things together would be a huge red flag for the coaching staff if we are not blatantly tanking. We either have coaches that know exactly what they are doing, or a coaching staff that has no idea what they are doing.
Walton played well. Williams did a good job returning kicks. Ballege has been our most ineffective back and got the fewest snaps. An ineffective starting QB was pulled.

Again, its not often. Compare the amount of times teams go for 2 in that situation vs the amount of OT games there are every year...

If it were just the decision to go for 2, I wouldn't think it THAT suspicious, but when you compound it with THAT play call, it does get a bit suspicious considering the circumstances.
How many times is there under 10 seconds left in the game when you can go for two and win?

Bad teams should make the decision to go for two more often than the year do.

how do you know we’re tanking
I saw a Miami team who replaced a QB to try and light a spark and nearly pulled it off
How do you know Tua “has it”
Everything I have seen from Tua says he does. Accurate, mobile, high football IQ.

I saw a Miami team who replaced a QB to try and light a spark and nearly pulled it off

How do you know otherwise?

At this point, nothing is a given. NOTHING. But what is a given? What player in the 2020 NFL draft is the surefire hit going forward?

You have listed precisely THREE examples in about 3 and a half seasons of the NFL. That's 3 in 896 games...
They very well may be the only examples. Find the others. There isn't some plethora of game-ending 2 pt conversions out there... Otherwise there wouldn't be so many OT games in the league.
cite the number of OT games that occurred when a team scored a touchdown with under ten seconds left and a two point conversion would win the game.

Two point conversions have had a 48% success rate in the NFL. One point conversions have had a 94% success rate in the NFL moved the extra points back. So basically you win 48% of the time in this situation if you go for two, 47% if you kick the extra point....basically a wash. You can call the play call bad but saying it was ‘suspicious’ to go got two is tin foil hattery.

If we were "looking to lose" we would have never made it that close to begin with....how do you not see that?

IMO it was more a case of a rookie OC/HC getting a little nervous and calling a poor last play. Their first NFL win on the line playing with the worst talent in the NFL by a wide margin after the Tunsil and Minkah trades

Not to be a downer, but does this play invite scrutiny from the league given all the tank talk? For one, not often does a coach decide to go for 2 to end a game in regular season when the xp would tie it up. That in of itself is suspicious. But then the playcall is even more suspicious. If you wanted to call a play that had the least likely chance of succeeding, it would be a pass play at the goal line that is thrown to a receiver several yards out of the end zone...
And people argue that this is not a tank lol

That play call was atrocious

But no there will be no investigation and there shouldn’t be - what precedent is there to invoke an investigation??

Last edited:
If it wasn't intentional then we should all be absolutely blasting the coaching staff for that play call. Throwing a pass behind the LOS at the goal-line for a game-winning 2-point conversion try with a historically bad OL is near braindead if you are actually trying to win the game.

In any other year, there would be loud cries to fire the entire coaching staff after a loss like that and in that fashion.
Absolutely sabotage - the play was a fail

Thrown behind the LOS and the ball carrier running towards the oncoming tacklers lol

Again, its not often. Compare the amount of times teams go for 2 in that situation vs the amount of OT games there are every year...

If it were just the decision to go for 2, I wouldn't think it THAT suspicious, but when you compound it with THAT play call, it does get a bit suspicious considering the circumstances.
How many of those teams had a combined record of 0 and 9.

Players and coaches don't tank, front offices do. Take a look at our roster and payroll and decide whether we're tanking or not.

I don't think I've turned a game off as quickly as I did when the pass bounced off Drake's hands. I don't think I even saw the ball hit the floor.

I liked the decision to go for two but it's an easy call when there are no consequences to losing.

Back
Top Bottom