The under-the-radar realities that made Phillips over Najee a smart move and a quick six-pack of notes. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The under-the-radar realities that made Phillips over Najee a smart move and a quick six-pack of notes.

Marino & Benny R, if memory serves, scored similar to where Tua did. Lets not even get started about V Young.

OTOH, Fitzmagic and Alex Smith nearly aced it. Tannehill IMO is probably around Fitz & Alex.

What am I driving at? The Wonderlic is a reading comprehension test and not suited for all types.

There needs to be something similar to the ASVAB to truly gauge a players mental acumen
I don't know that the ASVAB would be any different. I took it at 16 and got a 136, and I bombed the mechanical or technical portion, whatever it was called, because I didn't take shop in high school.

I don't know that the ASVAB would be any different. I took it at 16 and got a 136, and I bombed the mechanical or technical portion, whatever it was called, because I didn't take shop in high school.
I think we already know what these guy's "vocational aptitude" is.

Playing football.......

The Wonderlic test scores do not translate to the field to the degree that is exaggerated. Danny had a 16, and his on the field IQ was the standard for decades. Peyton Manning had a high score which did translate to the field, but also showed that he needed his brains the last 5 years in the NFL because his body was falling apart.

I believe Tua will surprise us this year. Tbh, it's next year that is the true test Yes, year 2 this year, but the progression from year 2 to 3, where the leadership and field smarts mesh with his physical abilities. If Tua is a franchise and upper tier quarterback, we will know very soon within a season or so.

Dude stop. You discredit PFF then go on to to use it to support your OPINION and your obvious bias.

But since you are so into PFF and need justification from “actual football professionals” try reading the article itself before trying to pick a fight.

“The decision to move Robert Hunt to guard so early in his career is puzzling in this sense: During the final six weeks of the season, Pro Football Focus said he was fifth best of 37 qualifying right tackles.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article251400358.html#storylink=cpy
LOL

Pff is an opinion site run by barely credible nitwits, yet I cited it to show you that even by your standards... and theirs... their analysis didn't agree with their speculation.

Robert Hunt is a Guard. He has Guard feet and struggles to move laterally... which was what ALL the real football people said.

LOL

Pff is an opinion site run by barely credible nitwits, yet I cited it to show you that even by your standards... and theirs... their analysis didn't agree with their speculation.

Robert Hunt is a Guard. He has Guard feet and struggles to move laterally... which was what ALL the real football people said.
If nothing else, he gained valuable experience to swing in a pinch on the most important side of our future line. He also proved to be a competent RT as a rookie.

While moving him to RG is a more natural fit, especially with Eichenberg sliding into RT, he proved his flexibility will make him an invaluable asset to the team in the future.

His value as RG was almost without question. Seeing his ability to shore up the RT when needed really showed the dude is NFL ready even out of position.

If nothing else, he gained valuable experience to swing in a pinch on the most important side of our future line. He also proved to be a competent RT as a rookie.

While moving him to RG is a more natural fit, especially with Eichenberg sliding into RT, he proved his flexibility will make him an invaluable asset to the team in the future.

His value as RG was almost without question. Seeing his ability to shore up the RT when needed really showed the dude is NFL ready even out of position.
Now THAT is fair.

He could play RT in a pinch, even though it isn't his best spot.
Flores and Grier CLEARLY didn't think that his future was at Tackle... especially with a lefty.

Tua is no lock to be on the team beyond this year.

With what we've invested in him, only a true Tua hater would hope for him to fail, but we have the ammo to take another QB next year if he flounders.
Miami doesn’t have any extra meaningful ammo next year. They don’t have it until 2023.

Miami doesn’t have any extra meaningful ammo next year. They don’t have it until 2023.
Yes... and no.

Our #1 in 2022, and both our #1s in '23 would probably be more than anyone else could offer.

If we were making a move for Watson (I hope not), it might not take that much.

The score of 13 was incorrectly leaked. He got a 19. Marino scored a 16.

Winston's 27 is actually pretty solid. If anything his struggles are evidence that the ability to perform algebra equations does not equal football smarts.
He got a 13 on his first try 19 on second

Jaelen Phillips is valuable because he gives the Dolphins a chance to have a viable front on early downs. You can get away with a stationary bully type like Raekwon Davis on early downs if you have clever slithery pass rusher on the outside. Last season teams like the Bills ruthlessly picked apart the Dolphins on early downs, knowing darn well they couldn't play conservative and allow Miami to switch to the third down packages that gave so many teams trouble.

We are going to regress on third down defense in 2021. We are going to regress in interceptions and turnovers. It was vital to add additional key pieces to bolster the areas we figure to improve, like first down pass defense and overall yards per completion.

He's more like a guard than a tackle. But it's been a dilemma because his frame is not ideal for either position.

I have no idea how Hunt's play was touted based on 2020. He gave great effort but was stiff and anything but natural as a tackle, especially when pass blocking.

Besides, rookie linemen who are inserted into the lineup late season have a massive advantage. That is true on either side of the ball but especially with offensive linemen. I have emphasized that countless times since joining this site, and long before that elsewhere. No way you can take those results at face value. The other guys have been battling all season and have hit a wall physically and mentally. That's why it was so easy to predict the Dolphin offensive line to regress last year. Hunt would have done the same thing if he had been out there from day one.

Very impressive of Flores and Co. not to overreact to meaningless short term results at tackle

Back
Top Bottom