The under-the-radar realities that made Phillips over Najee a smart move and a quick six-pack of notes. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The under-the-radar realities that made Phillips over Najee a smart move and a quick six-pack of notes.

Don't know what Tua got on the AIQ, but it's supposed to be more useful/predictive than the wonderlic, which is essentially worthless (as far as I understand).

Justin Fields is the next QB to make the NFL look really stupid for nitpicking the wrong things imo.

I saw that about Fields. Supposedly his Wonderlic was not particularly high but he dominated the test you mentioned.

The Dolphins definitely should have considered Fields, or any of the quarterbacks, given our draft slotting. It's ridiculous to say we are in position to move on from Tua in a season or two. Why...because we have one extra first round pick in 2023? Yeah, that's worth a bonanza. That type of rationalization sounds great until you apply real world numbers of how much it costs to move up.

Fields has tons of talent but needs a good quarterback coach. That high elbow chicken wing is not nitpicking. It regulates a very vital specific type of throw, the midrange passes that determine whether or not drives continue. The good news for Fields is it's not the worst example I've ever seen and he is comparatively relaxed while doing it.

Contrast to Carson Wentz who somehow was allowed to deteriorate into some of the most ridiculous mechanics I have ever seen, both from a footwork standpoint and especially that chicken wing. With so many moving parts in the wrong directions he had no chance the last couple of seasons:

Agree completely, but with that said.... didn't Tua get an abysmal wonderlic score??? I know that's not the end all be all, but a 13 is brutally terrible.

People said Jameis Winston wasn't that bright and couldn't process quickly/grasp the playbook and he DOUBLED Tua's score with a 27.

I'm a big fan of Tua but even that is concerning.
Marino's wonderlic was 16. That test doesn't prove too much...

I was not happy at the time of the Philips pick as I've had my fill of spending high draft capital on players with significant collegiate injury histories. But I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt because it could be a case of buying low on the highest-rated prospect at his position.

As far as Harris, I would have loved to get him but only at the top of the 2nd or after trading down from 18. That was a bad pick by the Steelers who have many holes, including along that broken offensive line. I'd also hoped all along we'd get a shot at Javonte Williams at the top of the 2nd because I believe he could be Marshawn Lynch 2.0. Oh well, we know how that played out...
Who was your target at 18? I thought Philips was clearly the best player in the board

I was not happy at the time of the Philips pick as I've had my fill of spending high draft capital on players with significant collegiate injury histories. But I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt because it could be a case of buying low on the highest-rated prospect at his position.

As far as Harris, I would have loved to get him but only at the top of the 2nd or after trading down from 18. That was a bad pick by the Steelers who have many holes, including along that broken offensive line. I'd also hoped all along we'd get a shot at Javonte Williams at the top of the 2nd because I believe he could be Marshawn Lynch 2.0. Oh well, we know how that played out...

Is that an iced coffee I see - LOL

I saw that about Fields. Supposedly his Wonderlic was not particularly high but he dominated the test you mentioned.

The Dolphins definitely should have considered Fields, or any of the quarterbacks, given our draft slotting. It's ridiculous to say we are in position to move on from Tua in a season or two. Why...because we have one extra first round pick in 2023? Yeah, that's worth a bonanza. That type of rationalization sounds great until you apply real world numbers of how much it costs to move up.

Fields has tons of talent but needs a good quarterback coach. That high elbow chicken wing is not nitpicking. It regulates a very vital specific type of throw, the midrange passes that determine whether or not drives continue. The good news for Fields is it's not the worst example I've ever seen and he is comparatively relaxed while doing it.

Contrast to Carson Wentz who somehow was allowed to deteriorate into some of the most ridiculous mechanics I have ever seen, both from a footwork standpoint and especially that chicken wing. With so many moving parts in the wrong directions he had no chance the last couple of seasons:

I agree that mechanics are the biggest issue with Fields. When throwing deep or on the run, his motion is more natural, and his overall accuracy was outstanding at Ohio State. Given his physical and mental tools and his accuracy, and given that he has a background as a high-level shortstop, the mechanics imo become nitpicking when you start drafting guys like Lance and Wilson before him (particularly Lance) - or when you pass on him for non-QB's. Teams like Carolina and Denver in particular will come out looking very bad for passing on Fields - unless Denver gets Rodgers.

Tua is no lock to be on the team beyond this year.

With what we've invested in him, only a true Tua hater would hope for him to fail, but we have the ammo to take another QB next year if he flounders.

That's what good Front Offices do, prepare for the future.

QB's can lose a year of availability in one play, and in Miami , that is recent history.

In New England it happened several times and they never missed a beat.

This all points to having a potentially effective backup QB, and the availability to procure one via the draft, trading or FA. Note: FA only works when a good player is available and with QB's, there is no guarantee a competent enough QB will be available.

We live in a time when the RB position has been significantly devalued by many GMs. Some might not like it but that is the reality. Najee Harris could be a big contributor for the Steelers (an old style team that still see it as a key role) but reluctantly, I concede that Miami probably made the correct call in drafting Jaelen Phillips at #18 because good pass rushers are so hard to find. GM Chris Grier appears to value certain positions and the RB role is significantly lower than it used to be, say 10 years ago. Myles Gaskin was drafted in the 7th round and he has way exceeded expectations and still has potential upside. Time will tell whether Grier's decision was smart or not, but I like that he is pretty predictable.

So... no metrics. No opinions sited from actual football professionals. No testimonials from his teammates... just a vague feeling that you have (that you didn't want to draft any linemen)?

Don't use the draft word fever.. metrics!

This is not a problem either.

Only problem is Grier won't be here to draft the next qb.
You're assuming that Ross didn't push the Tua pick.
If he did, why would he punish Grier? Furthermore, Grier has proven, in my opinion, that he is capable of tearing down a team and quickly putting together a decent one.
Sorry, lots of guys miss on QB's. I'm not cutting bait with him yet.

The front office did a great job. We are in prime position to move on from Tua if we have to. I don’t think we need to. But if he stinks for some reason we can definitely move on next year if that’s our choice. No single player is holding us back. This will be a Super Bowl team very very soon

As far as Phillips he’s gonna be our rookie record holder for sacks barring injury. If we can scheme lawson 4 sacks then we can definitely get a ton from Phillips

I tuned out Ryan Clark after he trashed the Dolphins Franchise after coming in for a visit, when he was a F/A; back in the day.

If Phillips can avoid injuries or concussions, he's got the talent to play a huge role in the Miami defense and its season.

Flores knows defense look at what he gets from baker and van ginkel. Van ginkel is a major playmaker huge steal. In limited snaps he blocked a punt, forced an interception on a tip, forced a fumble saving a touchdown, recovered a fumble for a TD and had 5.5 sacks. Stud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom