The Worst I've Ever Seen The Forum

Discussion in 'Questions and Suggestions Forum' started by danstilldaman, Apr 27, 2018.

1. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

Just curious I never had such a lag problem as I did last night. Been considering joining the VIP, was curious if it was just the forum all together. Or if the VIP forum was better last night. Never experienced a delay like last night, was very disappointed was so excited about not being able to read posts from all the quality posters. I don't post a lot but I do spend probably 3 hours a day minimum reading through the forum.

sinPHIN, rickd13 and killafinz like this.
  2. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I find if the Forum is really busy, you tend to get a lag. (not saying this is what happened last night)

3. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

It still has a pretty bad lag even now. Last night it was nearly impossible. Worst I've seen it in a long time too. Twitter has some good up to the minute stuff also.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

3 hours a day reading forums? lets not become an anti-social generation here. But yes, there was lag....its normal when its busy. Its no biggie, I can wait. People all over the world are waiting for food and water, im sure I can wait just fine for dolphins opinions lol

foozool13 and tay0365 like this.
  5. Phinfan31

Phinfan31 A True Fan Donator

Yeah every year it is like this. Draft day we get like 1000+ people on the website at once and it freezes up for periods of time. Its not meant to handle that kind of traffic. I couldn't even get the website to load for a while.

All good though. It didn't take too long and I was able to get back to reading :)

6. tommyp

tommyp Well-Known Member

sa
    same here

7. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

I live in Illinois don't get much dolphin info in my parts. I coach high school football so this time a year is slower than normal, I may of exaggerated a little but not by much at least the past three weeks. Lol

8. fins1

fins1 Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6 Finheaven VIP

Happens after our pick every year. Not complaining, love the site. I’m sure if everyone donated more there would be no lag.

GT Dolfan and yolli71 like this.
  9. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Yeah, it was terrible lag here..pages either taking forever to load or timing out. But on other fansites (just for fun I was checking in on Browns, Bills and Jest fan forums) the pages were not slow at all and opening right up. And they were packed with people commenting left and right, posting gifs, memes, etc during their picks and after.

They need to either get a better server here or increase the capacity.

rickd13 and miamiron like this.
  10. darefugee

darefugee FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In the IT Security field we call it denial of service (DoS). More people hitting the site with requests than the site's connections can handle. Sometimes bad guys do it intentionally by setting up several machines to pound and pound a website with requests so no one else can get to it.

As you have seen, it can be a very effective technique.

11. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

I watched it with friends last night and couldn’t get a single page to load. I stopped trying so I didn’t add to the overload.

Some heros don’t wear capes.

12. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Hopefully, tonight won't be as bad as last night but what I don't get is how many other fan sites had no issues.....and, despite some here suggesting to donate for better performance, all of those other sites are free and had a lot of logins active with people posting fast & furious with no hiccups.

13. yolli71

yolli71 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree it was bad last night, but that's not the norm. That said, I do think VIP is absolutely worth it. You get the Chamber's Files and J-Off's prospect analysis (similar to TedSlimmjr but much more in-depth.) Plus, it helps keep the lights on for a website we all love. $20 is a few beers at a bar.

Fin Fan in Cali and Bumpus like this.
  14. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly isn't it always like that on draft day?

15. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

there was a lot of people here last night and all trying to post at the same time. That will always make things a little slower. We still had a great time in the VIP chatroom

16. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2 Finheaven VIP

Other teams don't have as many fans or anywhere near as much traffic as Finheaven.

Their websites are like visiting a third world country.

DolfanDuBbZ~ and Bumpus like this.
  17. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Bad guys must come back and hit us year after year... just during the draft and sometimes on game day threads

18. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I believe the forum runs at a loss and is supported by the kindness of our owner and admins. There just isn't the funds for the top tier tech and unlimited data bandwidth needed to keep everything running flawlessly on nights like last night. And even if the biggest websites feel the strain on their biggest days of the year. Look how many absurdly expensive sites collapse on black Friday.

All donations, ad revenue etc goes towards meeting the costs to keep FH running and to improve services on big nights like the draft. So everyone who doesn't run adblock on FH or who donates a few $ really does makes a difference

Fin Fan in Cali and Bumpus like this.
  19. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It happens, sometimes during big games or the draft at the time Miami;s selecting. I figured it was due to a rare high volume usage during those times. During the draft all the Dolphin fans gather at the same time. For me the entire site was slow... I tried the VIP area and the draft fourm and both were just as slow during the problem time. That's why I assumed it was due to high usage and not loading the ads.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Bumpus likes this.
  20. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I would imagine that if you aren't VIP and you have the ads still trying to load it made it worse than it would be. There was some lag last night bc all the people on it at once but i've never really seen it like that before and I'm here regularly.

Pony up the $20 and support the site.....and remove the ads. It's worth it :thumbsup

SCLSU Mud Dogs likes this.
  21. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

I'm sure Our Boys at Finheaven are doing the best that they can. It's obvious to me (even with the Draft approaching days before), that the Site would be simply overrun with hits from everyone. I appreciate all that they do, to keep us informed with the Fins......Draft and otherwise. Thanks Fellas!!! And my Brethren FinBrothers!!!

22. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

I've been here for 10 years so it's usually like that on draft day, but it's understandable because they get a lot of traffic. There's a lot of Dolphin fans even though we haven't been great in a long time.

23. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Here's an idea. If you don't like how it's running, DONATE!

Fin Fan in Cali and NBP81 like this.
  24. SCLSU Mud Dogs

You have zero room to complain about site performance if you don't donate. Simple as that.

emoticon likes this.
  25. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Cool, then go to another site.

#1 Fan likes this.
  26. Dbest

Dbest Well-Known Member

I know a site that has 40,000 members and never lags like this one. I will not donate until it's fixed. Its also this way on game day.

Phinsguy likes this.
  27. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

Ive thought for awhile this place should ditch the “pay to get vip access” thing. Just charge $5 for a four month membership, and include all your vip stuff in the membership. If you have to pay to even have an account it will 1) bring in more revenue than begging people to join VIP will. 2) consistent revenue as accounts must renew every four months. 3) weed out trolls

28. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Well when we all try to visit the site at the same time we create a bottle neck and essentially ddos Finheaven lol ....the servers are not strong enough to direct all the traffic

29. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

so... I guess you can't complain if you aren't part of the solution?

30. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

You guys would have lost your will to live the day we traded for Ricky.

31. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

I’m still having a Lon delay getting on but I get why. Still love you guys!

32. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It happens every year. This is Christmas for this forum. Think of how busy the malls are then. Credit to the staff for continuously working at keeping the server up.

I just kept refreshing Bleacher Report (Dolphins section) and all the tweets were flooding in.

Avigatorx likes this.
  33. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Gee....I didn't expect that well thought out response.

I wasn't comparing to other Dolphins fans sites but fans sites I was checking into for comedy relief (Browns, Bills & Jest) as picks were being made. And it's BS to suggest that "high traffic" causes this anywhere.....the Browns site had over 2000 active logins an the Bills almost as many and those sites had no loading or timing out issues and people were posting fast & furious. Even here tonight I saw about 800 online here and there were still the same problems (even when it lowered to 400-500).

Like many others here I'm sure, Finheaven is my go to and I don't post on other Dolphins boards but it is very frustrating and annoying to not only not be able to post, but be able to view it and/or have a real time back & forth like other fan sites have. I know, I know...then I should become a fan of one of those teams (see...I wrote it for you).

Here's a better idea....fix the problems and have it be like other sites that don't have these issues (and many don't ask for or expect money to run them). Not saying I won't ever contribute....but I'm not gonna pay for the privilege to be annoyed, locked out at important times or unable to view/post when most needed.

34. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Is that the "law of the West" Wild Bill?? LOL - who decides when and if one can or can't complain? You never complain about anything (taxes, gas prices, politics) without being part of the solution?

35. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Here's an idea. The people that run the site consistently put their own money into it to keep it running, including domain, server upkeep, and other housekeeping items.

If YOU want the site to run better, then YOU need to contribute to it.

Again, if you think that this site is too slow for you or doesn't work well enough, you can freeload on another website. You can't complain if you don't contribute. Especially when the folks running it constantly pour their own money into it so people who visit it for free every day can continue to do so.

36. SCLSU Mud Dogs

If you vote and/or pay taxes, you have all the reason to complain about politics. You have to pay for gas, so you absolutely have the right to complain about gas prices.

It'd be like you going over to someone's house for dinner (for free) and complaining that the food didn't meet your standards and saying that other places have better food. Great insight, you're free to eat elsewhere!

Your profile has neither the VIP or donator badge, so I can assume you haven't spent a dime here. You might want to lessen the tone of your demands, bub. Or maybe throw $20 to the site.

37. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

But where's the "being part of the solution" thing.

And no, it's like going to someone's house (for free) and getting a meal vs. not getting a meal at all. I'd be very thankful & appreciative of my hosts after being provided a free meal...not so much if it was offered but never provided.

What "demands" exactly...I'm not demanding (or in a position to demand) anything....just pointing out that other sites run very fluidly with no slowdown (and without constantly passing the hat around) - how exactly do they do it???

So I can "freeload" on a "free" website...thanks. BTW...isn't this a free website? So how exactly does one "freeload" if it's free?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  38. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Like I said in my other post, do you go over to someone's house for dinner and complain about the food?

Freeloading, IE: bitching about the sites performance when you haven't contributed a dime. Sure, if I was on Reddit or USA Today I'd expect flawless servers.

Bitching about a site you visit for free when several other people pour money into it is pompous and disrespectful. If you truly have a problem with how it's running, donate. Simple as that dude.

As of a half hour ago, I just put another $20 down. Might want to consider doing the same. Then maybe you can offer some input.

Wildbill3 likes this.
  39. fish920

fish920 lurker Donator

Finheaven is the premier forum for Miami dolphins fans and the traffic can get overwhelming, if you want to help fix it I recommend donating a lil money to help with running the site.

Love you, finheaven

40. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Good for them. If you are so unhappy here maybe you should save the bandwidth for those who value the service? you clearly have a better option with 40k members!

Fin Fan in Cali likes this.