Theory on Cutler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Theory on Cutler

WaddleWaddle

Club Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here so go easy on me. I'm a huge phins fan and I would be lying if I said I didn't think our season was over when Tannehill went down. I'd also be lying if I said I didn't get excited when all I heard during training camp was how good Cutler looked and how he knows the offense. Here's the thing, I think Cutler is more talented than Moore and its no question, I see why Gase and the players think hes better and I get it. He has an elite arm, he can hit throws most qb's dream of and he shows them this every day in practice. That's the thing though, Cutler knows he wont be touched in practice, he doesnt have to worry about being hit and he can just focus on slinging it. If Cutler had an elite o-line, I bet he would be an amazing qb but that's the issue. Cutler has zero toughness, almost every time he's in shotgun, he starts backpedaling right away and throws a duck off his back foot because he's afraid. Cutler is a better qb than Moore when it comes to talent and possibly even Tannehill but he has absolutely no toughness and because of that, when it comes to game time hes the worst of the three. Do you guys think I'm overthinking this? or does it actually make sense. If it makes sense I hope Gase realizes this too before its too late

toughness is a requirement of playing qb

ask jon gruden about it...he couldn't stop referencing it last Monday night...you got to be tough

we are seeing some qbs around the league who if they take any contact at all go out...Derek carr for example...good qb...kinda soft to date frankly

Hey guys, first time poster here so go easy on me. I'm a huge phins fan and I would be lying if I said I didn't think our season was over when Tannehill went down. I'd also be lying if I said I didn't get excited when all I heard during training camp was how good Cutler looked and how he knows the offense. Here's the thing, I think Cutler is more talented than Moore and its no question, I see why Gase and the players think hes better and I get it. He has an elite arm, he can hit throws most qb's dream of and he shows them this every day in practice. That's the thing though, Cutler knows he wont be touched in practice, he doesnt have to worry about being hit and he can just focus on slinging it. If Cutler had an elite o-line, I bet he would be an amazing qb but that's the issue. Cutler has zero toughness, almost every time he's in shotgun, he starts backpedaling right away and throws a duck off his back foot because he's afraid. Cutler is a better qb than Moore when it comes to talent and possibly even Tannehill but he has absolutely no toughness and because of that, when it comes to game time hes the worst of the three. Do you guys think I'm overthinking this? or does it actually make sense. If it makes sense I hope Gase realizes this too before its too late

What Cutler have you been watching for the last decade? This doesn't sound like Jay at all. Bears fans howled with laughter when we signed him

He certainly has (or had?) a strong arm, but it takes more than that to be a talented qb

What Cutler have you been watching for the last decade? This doesn't sound like Jay at all. Bears fans howled with laughter when we signed him

he certainly has (or had?) a strong arm, but it takes more than that to be a talented qb

That's what Im saying though, I feel like he looks amazing at practice and shows off his arm talent because he knows he wont get hit. The players and Gase see this every day and thats why they feel he's the guy but he has absolutely no toughness whatsoever and it completely makes his skill basically worthless because hes afraid to get hit. I remember reading on his second or third practice that he had a better practice that day than Tannehill had in his entire career.

He certainly has (or had?) a strong arm, but it takes more than that to be a talented qb

Also I would 100 percent rather have Tannehill and I think we would be 6-0 if he were the QB. But the thing he has that Cutler will never have is toughness, the guy is a ****ing animal and I love him for it.

That's what Im saying though, I feel like he looks amazing at practice and shows off his arm talent because he knows he wont get hit. The players and Gase see this every day and thats why they feel he's the guy but he has absolutely no toughness whatsoever and it completely makes his skill basically worthless because hes afraid to get hit. I remember reading on his second or third practice that he had a better practice that day than Tannehill had in his entire career.

Does he look amazing in practice though? Multiple times this year he has thrown incredibly weak/shaky passes when he only has to reach a wr 10 yards away from him.

I struggle to believe he then heads to practice the next day and looks like aaron rodgers

At this point in his career, I don't think Cutler is any better than Moore, and in fact he may be a good bit worse. A bigger sample of his play would tell us whether that's the case definitively.

Does he look amazing in practice though? Multiple times this year he has thrown incredibly weak/shaky passes when he only has to reach a wr 10 yards away from him.

I struggle to believe he then heads to practice the next day and looks like aaron rodgers

I could be wrong but I haven't heard one bad thing about Cutler at practice the entire season, it's actually been the opposite. And everyone knows Moore is not a practice guy. I hate watching Cutler during games, I hate watching him backpedal every single throw and under throw his target because of it. I guess I'm more trying to see why Gase constantly sticks to him because I don't think its a friendship thing, I feel like Gase is above that. I truly believe Cutler looks so much better than Moore during practice that Gase is waiting for that guy to come through during the game but I don't think it will ever happen.

I could be wrong but I haven't heard one bad thing about Cutler at practice the entire season, it's actually been the opposite. And everyone knows Moore is not a practice guy. I hate watching Cutler during games, I hate watching him backpedal every single throw and under throw his target because of it. I guess I'm more trying to see why Gase constantly sticks to him because I don't think its a friendship thing, I feel like Gase is above that. I truly believe Cutler looks so much better than Moore during practice that Gase is waiting for that guy to come through during the game but I don't think it will ever happen.

The problem with the practice versus games issue is that Cutler may be a person who emotionally isn't ratcheted up during games like the average NFL player, whereas Moore may be a guy who's very ratcheted up emotionally during games, but isn't ratcheted up as much like that in practice.

If that's the case, then you're going to have a situation where Cutler possibly outplays Moore in practice, and Moore outplays Cutler in games, and where Moore inspires the players around him during games and Cutler doesn't.

And that certainly fits with Cutler's apparent "numb" appearance, emotionally speaking, in contrast to Moore's very lively appearance.

Back
Top Bottom