There is a new No. 3 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There is a new No. 3

Look, these schedules are made out YEARS in advance. And most of the Big East teams didn't schedule a bunch of tough teams out of conference because they planned on having VT and Miami on their schedule every year. To go along with that game OOC vs Iowa, or Maryland, or...whoever. Throw in a Pitt and BC and that is a respectable schedule.

When VT and Miami jumped shipped 3 years ago, the schedules were already set. You can't punish the Big East for having weak schedules cause they had no say in who was going to jump ship and when. They were caught by surprise Any reasonable person see's this and is level headed about it and can't hold it against the big east schools like WV, Pitt...etc. It isn't like they are trying to beat the system or anything. Be shaddy about it

MikeO said:
Look, these schedules are made out YEARS in advance. And most of the Big East teams didn't schedule a bunch of tough teams out of conference because they planned on having VT and Miami on their schedule every year. To go along with that game OOC vs Iowa, or Maryland, or...whoever. Throw in a Pitt and BC and that is a respectable schedule.

When VT and Miami jumped shipped 3 years ago, the schedules were already set. You can't punish the Big East for having weak schedules cause they had no say in who was going to jump ship and when. They were caught by surprise Any reasonable person see's this and is level headed about it and can't hold it against the big east schools like WV, Pitt...etc. It isn't like they are trying to beat the system or anything. Be shaddy about it

I completely agree with what your saying but at the same time the fact is strength of schedule has to count for something whether its their fault teams moved or not. I'm not saying punish them for having a weak schedule, I'm saying reward the teams that play a much harder one. Call me a homer all you want but I'd be saying the same for any SEC team.

MikeO said:

Well those games that the Big East teams would played against Miami and VT were left open. They didn't have to be filled by bringing in such poor teams. Louisville managed to keep UM on their schedule. I'm sure it would have been hard to convince a top team to come to WV, but they could have found a top team to travel to, or have an alternating duo with for a few years.

As Motion said, you still have to give more consideration to the teams that actually make a tough schedule.

Motion said:
I completely agree with what your saying but at the same time the fact is strength of schedule has to count for something whether its their fault teams moved or not. I'm not saying punish them for having a weak schedule, I'm saying reward the teams that play a much harder one. Call me a homer all you want but I'd be saying the same for any SEC team.

True. But Florida lost. Thus far 3 big east teams haven't. I mean if you don't want an unbeaten Big East team in the BCS championship game, then you should have thrown the Big East OUT of the BCS prior to the season.

Ya didn't......so now you gotta live with the fact that there is a very good chance that an unbeaten Big East team will play for it all. While there might be better 1 loss teams out there.

You don't want it to happen again next year, THROW THE BIG EAST OUT AFTER THIS YEAR!! until that happens, all of these 1 loss teams need to shut up and stop crying!

MikeO said:
True. But Florida lost. Thus far 3 big east teams haven't. I mean if you don't want an unbeaten Big East team in the BCS championship game, then you should have thrown the Big East OUT of the BCS prior to the season.

Ya didn't......so now you gotta live with the fact that there is a very good chance that an unbeaten Big East team will play for it all. While there might be better 1 loss teams out there.

You don't want it to happen again next year, THROW THE BIG EAST OUT AFTER THIS YEAR!! until that happens, all of these 1 loss teams need to shut up and stop crying!
And who's decision is that exactly???

The only 1 loss teams I see crying are Auburn and ND.

I have no complaints at this point. Florida basically controls their own destiny.

Motion said:

I have no complaints at this point. Florida basically controls their own destiny.

The Ohio St/Mich loser will cry. Texas will cry. The teams you mentioned will cry. USC may cry if they win out. Trust me, a bunch of teams will be crying

and how do you throw them out, every other conference will pass a hat so to speak, and buy out the contract and pay the Big East millions/billions to leave. That's how you get them out.

Motion said:

I can't say for certain, but I believe the BCS has a contractual agreement with all participating conferences; and I'm pretty sure this isn't a one year contract.

MikeO said:
The Ohio St/Mich loser will cry. Texas will cry. The teams you mentioned will cry. USC may cry if they win out. Trust me, a bunch of teams will be crying

Any team that loses at home, regardless who its too has no excuses. As well as any team that is beaten by an unranked team. Now as for the OSU/Mich loser, unless its a nail biter that goes to the wire or OT the loser had their chance, move on. I do see what your saying though.

MikeO said:
One example. Is it Louisville's fault that Miami stinks this year?? When they scheduled that game probalby 8 years ago miami was a force. You can't punish L'ville for that.

I dont punish Louisville for that, that is why I give them more respect than WVU. They atleast tried to put a good team on there schedule, WVU cant use that excuse though because everyone of the non conference teams on there schedule is always bad, except maybe Maryland but that isnt enough.

Everyone is bashing WVU for the out of conference schedule. Truth is most every team has 1 non-conference game that would be considered their tough game and use it to bolster their schedule.

WVU played Maryland. Mayland has lost to only WVU and Ga Tech. They still have a chance to pull out the ACC. Right now they have a better record then Miami(who UofL played) and was a good win on WVU's schedule.

Let's look at the one loss SEC teams that are the main talking point of this thread. Their toughest out of conference opponents were
Fla - Fla. St. (they have yet to play them and Maryland just beat Fla. St)
Ten - Cal (Tenn. lost)
Ark - USC (Ark lost)
Aub - Wash St. (Aub Won)

The rest of the out of conference schedule is a total joke, just like WVU. It looks to me with the wins that the Pac-10 has the better conference and should be considered over the SEC. Any arguement about how WVU or UofL doesn't deserve a NC shot because of their out of conference schedule is a joke hasn't really looked into it.

Then comes the conference games. I'll just give you a few games to think about. These are the bottom teams in the BigEast.
Syracuse - Lost close game to Wake 20-10 ; Lost in double OT to Iowa ; Win Illinois, Wyoming, Miami(OH)
UConn - Lost to Wake Forest 24-13 ; Lost to Navy ; Win Army, URI, Indiana

Not bad for the bottom 2 schools. The BigEast has played every game well. Heck even Cincinatti played OhioSt good for a half. This conference is much better then you realize. Top to Bottom. It takes top teams in the Big10 and ACC to barely beat out the BigEast bottom 2.

The teams to notch a win against the BigEast are Navy, Wake Forest(x2), Iowa, Kansas, Ohio St, Va Tech, Mich St.

Those are the 8 loses for the BigEast. Navy and Kansas are the worst teams that beat a BigEast team. With Navy being the only team not in a BCS conference to beat a BigEast Team. That is a total of 2 losses handed to the BigEast by opponents not among the top 25 this year. Not one loss to a Mac, Wac, Conf USA, etc. (just noticed Mich St. was never ranked either, so that is 3 losses to non-ranked foes)*edit

With the conference playing well, and the top teams playing very well, the winner of the BigEast (if undefeated) would deserve the right to play in the NC game. Nuff Said.

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:
Everyone is bashing WVU for the out of conference schedule. Truth is most every team has 1 non-conference game that would be considered their tough game and use it to bolster their schedule.

WVU played Maryland. Mayland has lost to only WVU and Ga Tech. They still have a chance to pull out the ACC. Right now they have a better record then Miami(who UofL played) and was a good win on WVU's schedule.

Let's look at the one loss SEC teams that are the main talking point of this thread. Their toughest out of conference opponents were
Fla - Fla. St. (they have yet to play them and Maryland just beat Fla. St)
Ten - Cal (Tenn. lost)
Ark - USC (Ark lost)
Aub - Wash St. (Aub Won)

The rest of the out of conference schedule is a total joke, just like WVU. It looks to me with the wins that the Pac-10 has the better conference and should be considered over the SEC. Any arguement about how WVU or UofL doesn't deserve a NC shot because of their out of conference schedule is a joke hasn't really looked into it.

Then comes the conference games. I'll just give you a few games to think about. These are the bottom teams in the BigEast.
Syracuse - Lost close game to Wake 20-10 ; Lost in double OT to Iowa ; Win Illinois, Wyoming, Miami(OH)
UConn - Lost to Wake Forest 24-13 ; Lost to Navy ; Win Army, URI, Indiana

Not bad for the bottom 2 schools. The BigEast has played every game well. Heck even Cincinatti played OhioSt good for a half. This conference is much better then you realize. Top to Bottom. It takes top teams in the Big10 and ACC to barely beat out the BigEast bottom 2.

The teams to notch a win against the BigEast are Navy, Wake Forest(x2), Iowa, Kansas, Ohio St, Va Tech, Mich St.

Those are the 8 loses for the BigEast. Navy and Kansas are the worst teams that beat a BigEast team. With Navy being the only team not in a BCS conference to beat a BigEast Team. That is a total of 2 losses handed to the BigEast by opponents not among the top 25 this year. Not one loss to a Mac, Wac, Conf USA, etc. (just noticed Mich St. was never ranked either, so that is 3 losses to non-ranked foes)*edit

With the conference playing well, and the top teams playing very well, the winner of the BigEast (if undefeated) would deserve the right to play in the NC game. Nuff Said.
Tennesse won, and it wasn't even close.

The out of conference talk about the Big East teams is because their in conference foes are mostly terrible.

I was looking at something that had usc's upcoming oppenents, ohio states and wvu's...

and WVU's upcoming oppnenets had a hell of a better record that both OSU and USC

WestVirginiaFan said:
I was looking at something that had usc's upcoming oppenents, ohio states and wvu's...

and WVU's upcoming oppnenets had a hell of a better record that both OSU and USC
DUUUUUHHH!!!
I'd hope that WVU's upcoming schedule is tough. Who have they played so far?!?!
The bulk of Ohio State's game is behind them. They have beat 3 top 25 teams so far, and their SECOND #1 vs. #2 game of the season is ahead of them. What do you expect?!?! Ohio State can't play Top 10 teams all season!!!

You WVU fans are killing me!!
I hate to bare bad news, but WVU could not go into Austin, TX and beat UT. Nor, could have they beat Iowa (at the time) when OSU went into Iowa City. Sure, Iowa has stumbled recently...BUT at the time they were hot.

WVU is SO far out of the BCS picture b/c of their schedule, or should I say lack there of. Why do you think you hear the rumors of a OSU/Michigan rematch in the BCS NC game? It's because WVU is a joke as is their schedule.

WestVirginiaFan said:

:link:

I gotta see this considering USC has Oregon, Cal, and ND coming up and OSU has Michigan.

WVU has Louisville and Rutgers, basically their only decent opponents all year, and maybe Pitt.

WVU has only played 1 team, 1, with a winning record so far. I'd hope they play a few tough games down the stretch. Though it isnt like Rutgers has played anyone either so it's hard to judge the Big East teams because it seems like they all set themselves up to have good records.

Back
Top Bottom