There is a new No. 3 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There is a new No. 3

DonShula84 said:
I agree everyone has cupcakes and I agree you probably couldnt add a team of the same quality that they lost. But I find it hard to believe that they couldnt find someone better than Citadel or Eastern Washington to fill the spots. If they tried and couldnt then I'm wrong and it isnt their fault, but I just find it hard to believe.
Who plays Citadel?

OSUDauby said:
Yeah, but the entire Big East is a cupcake. So, when your out of conference schedule is full of cupcakes too, there is very little strerngth of schedule there.
Now, there's a well thought out comment.:rolleyes2

OSUDauby said:
You don't know what you are talking about because you fail to mention Wisconsin in ANY post. They are a one loss team who has only been beat by the #2 in the country, Michigan. Not to mention that their defense is better than that of WVU or Louisville. And also not to mention that they have a RB who is getting more yards per game than Slatons (The Big East #1 RB).

Even in a "down" year, the Big 10 is far better and more competative than the Big East, it's that simple. If teams like WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and the rest of the Big East wants respect, they have to EARN it. And they can EARN that respect by playing out of conference games worth while. (I.E.-Playing teams like Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Florida, Aurburn, etc, etc) Until then Big East teams will be either A.) watching THE BIG GAME on TV rather than the sidelines or B.) Caught up in controversy like they are now. It's pretty simple really.
You'll have to pardon us when we don't begin shaking uncontrollably, and bow down in fear at the mighty Big 10.

DBoston80 said:
West Virginia IMO is the worst matchup OSU could face assuming we get to Tempe...Stopping the run is the kink in our armour...We all know what Garret Wolfe did to us...and vs Texas we forced them to beat us threw the air and stacked the box...we havent reallly face a RB who's upper class other than those two.

Thats why Im sorta rooting for Louisville tonight because I dont like the matchup vs WV.......I still feel we would beat the Mountaineers because we could score on them..but I would just assume not mess with that team.
Thank you for the compliment. It's rare for the 'Eers to get any respect here. I firmly believe that this WVU team can run on anyone in the country. On the flip side, I'm not exactly relishing the thought of playing a team as talented as OSU, but it would be nice to get a shot.

OSUDauby said:
Ummm, well it was called a joke. If you watch college football you would know that Temple HAD the longest losing streak in the nation.

And to tell you the truth, I know very little about the teams in the Big East. All I know is that they are all cup cakes, crying about respect, yet do nothing to earn that respect.

Sure, you can play easy games all year, go undefeated, and wonder if you'll get into the big game. OR you can play the tough games, get the win, and have nothing to wonder about. That is the reason why you see teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, etc...getting respect all the time. It's because they have the guts to step to the plate. Unlike ANY team in the Big Easy. (Louisville made an attempt with UM this season, but it's a shame that UM blows)
Yeah, we could tell.

OSUDauby said:
Well, Cinn., Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, etc...managed to do it all in the same season against Ohio State. Michigan plays Ball State this week. I could go on and on. So, I guess you are seeing things my way if agree that WVU is respected less than those three teams
Say it ain't so ... you mean Ohio State actually plays cupcakes too...
:lol:

OSUDauby said:
I agree, but you seem to think that scheduling an out of conference team worth two cents is impossible. The facts are the facts. And the only thing that is laughable is the schedule of Big East "powerhouse" teams such as WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, etc.

Honsetly, play someone worth while then talk about stats, Heisman candidates, BCS bowls, etc...

No, I think it's difficult. I never once said it was impossible. And the only out of conference team that OSU played that was any good last year or this year was Texas. So far they are 1 and 1 in those two games. And I'm pretty sure losing that game last year locked OSU out of the national championship game(even though they wound up losing again later on, they would never have made the NC with 1 loss), so playing strong out of conference teams isn't always in the best interest during the regular season. As for talking about BCS bowls, the Big East is guaranteed 1 slot I believe, so one of those "powerhouse" teams will be there, and there is a good chance they'll win.

Bumpus,

You seem to know SO much about the Big East, so please tell me how anything I said is wrong. Exactly who has WVU played this year?! And why do you feel they should be ranked high or be considered?

Frisches13283 said:
No, I think it's difficult. I never once said it was impossible. And the only out of conference team that OSU played that was any good last year or this year was Texas. So far they are 1 and 1 in those two games. And I'm pretty sure losing that game last year locked OSU out of the national championship game(even though they wound up losing again later on, they would never have made the NC with 1 loss), so playing strong out of conference teams isn't always in the best interest during the regular season. As for talking about BCS bowls, the Big East is guaranteed 1 slot I believe, so one of those "powerhouse" teams will be there, and there is a good chance they'll win.

Well, what you fail to understand is there is no need to schedule any more than 1 strong out of conference game when you play in a good conference like the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Sure the Big 10 is a little down this year, but traditionally they are argueably the toughest conf. in the NCAA. And sure the SEC has a handful of contenders this year, but lack the "knock out" teams like Ohio State/Michigan.

I'd be more than willing to say that the Big East has "contenders" like Louisville/Rutgers or a "knock out" team like WVU, but the fact that they fail to prove themselves leaves me and a vast majority of the nation to question them. Like I've been saying all along...to get respect of the nation, and more importantly the respect of the voters, you have to earn it. Earn it on the field by playing teams better than .500. Something that WVU hasn't done.

Looking at Ohio State's schedule when they played the teams Ohio State has played a ranked Texas, Penn State, and Iowa.

West Virgina.....ummm, well...umm. No one, ta-duh!!

OSUDauby said:
Bumpus,

You seem to know SO much about the Big East, so please tell me how anything I said is wrong. Exactly who has WVU played this year?! And why do you feel they should be ranked high or be considered?
Because you are simply making the assumption that no team that comes out of the Big East can possibly be any good at all. I am not defending the lack of difficult games that we have played thus far. I'm simply stating that we ARE an exceptional team. (for that matter, I feel that Louisville is as well)

Keep an eye on tonight's game ... you won't be disappointed.

OSUDauby said:
Bumpus,

you are wrong in that you FAIL to realize that the big east teams that were left behind when VT,Miami,BC left were stuck in a bind. You can't, you can't, YOU CAN'T on 1 or 2 years notice go out and schedule a Florida, Texas, USC....etc. It ain't gonna happen!!! Ever!!!

WV had this years and last years schedule mapped out years ago. And they planned on it being Miami, VT, BC, Maryland, Pitt...etc. Which is a quality schedule. When 3 of those teams leave your conference and you have almost NO notice or time to replace them......what do you want them to do???

Now, IF your argument is they play a weak schedule that is one thing. And if you don't want them in the BCS, well then throw them OUT of the BCS prior to the season!!! But you want mid-way through the season to esentially change the rules and not let 1 of 2 unbeaten teams (L'ville or WV) in the championship game!!! THAT is where you are wrong!!

OSUDauby said:
Well, what you fail to understand is there is no need to schedule any more than 1 strong out of conference game when you play in a good conference like the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Sure the Big 10 is a little down this year, but traditionally they are argueably the toughest conf. in the NCAA. And sure the SEC has a handful of contenders this year, but lack the "knock out" teams like Ohio State/Michigan.

I'd be more than willing to say that the Big East has "contenders" like Louisville/Rutgers or a "knock out" team like WVU, but the fact that they fail to prove themselves leaves me and a vast majority of the nation to question them. Like I've been saying all along...to get respect of the nation, and more importantly the respect of the voters, you have to earn it. Earn it on the field by playing teams better than .500. Something that WVU hasn't done.

Looking at Ohio State's schedule when they played the teams Ohio State has played a ranked Texas, Penn State, and Iowa.

West Virgina.....ummm, well...umm. No one, ta-duh!!

Just so you know "powerhouse" was your word. I consider WV and Louisville to be top 10 teams this and last year. To be a powerhouse, they have to have a legacy of being that good. Maybe they will be powerhouses eventually due to thier current success.

I like how everyone leaves out how WVU almost suffered one of the biggest 2nd half collapses in bowl history.

Its just like a previous poster said WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and Pitt can beat anyone on any given Saturday. But could any of those teams survive the week in and week out pounding that you take in the SEC.

Take tonights game for an example, a match-up of two excellent football teams, no one can argue that. However, both teams have been looking ahead to this match-up for a couple of weeks now.

Could Florida look toward Auburn weeks ahead of time, no because they had to play Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn first. In fact Auburn may of mistakingly looked past Arkansas and ahead to Florida and it cost them there only loss of the season.

WVU's Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia was a huge win for that program, you can't take it way from them. But until you play teams of the caliber of Tennessee, Alabama. LSU, and Auburn before you even get to a game with Georgia just keep your mouth shut.

I mean take for instance Tennessee, as of Saturday the Vols will have played 4 teams that at one time or anther were ranked in the top 10.

Marino2Clayton said:
I like how everyone leaves out how WVU almost suffered one of the biggest 2nd half collapses in bowl history.

Its just like a previous poster said WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and Pitt can beat anyone on any given Saturday. But could any of those teams survive the week in and week out pounding that you take in the SEC.

Take tonights game for an example, a match-up of two excellent football teams, no one can argue that. However, both teams have been looking ahead to this match-up for a couple of weeks now.

Could Florida look toward Auburn weeks ahead of time, no because they had to play Tennessee, Alabama, and LSU first. In fact Auburn may of mistakingly looked past Arkansas and ahead to Florida and it cost them there only loss of the season.

WVU's Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia was a huge win for that program, you can't take it way from them. But until you play teams of the caliber of Tennessee, Alabama. LSU, and Auburn before you even get to a game with Georgia just keep your mouth shut.

I mean take for instance Tennessee, as of Saturday the Vols will have played 4 teams that at one time or anther were ranked in the top 10.

:yeahthat: Good post.

Not every team can play in the SEC and play that schedule.

So let's just punish everyone else??? Makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom