There is not 1 match up nightmare on this team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There is not 1 match up nightmare on this team

There is simply no chemistry between him and Tua, personally I would cash in on Gesicki and try to target Pitts in the draft, he's a way better version.
Or give it the off-season to fix that. I could see selling high on Gesicki but it would take away one of our only playmakers so I’d rather try and work through it in camp.

Our two CBs are a matchup nightmare and a HUGE reason we went 10-6. All CBs get beat - but for the most part they erased other teams outside guys game in and out.

Most of the good teams Have somebody you think wow how are we going to stop that

Maybe it’s offense or defense but on Miami is there anybody you think other fans say oh how’s my team gonna contain Devante Parker or Myles Gaskin.

The league is all about match ups and outside of our starting corners there are zero in our favor
Yes we do. His name is TUA!

I would hope they draft Smith who is like a Tyreke Hill talent but would bet they draft Sewell and then Harris with pick 18. And thats ok because Flores doesnt trust Tua and if he can run Harris 20 times and Gaskin 8-10 times that would be their game plan for teams to stop.

I would hope they draft Smith who is like a Tyreke Hill talent but would bet they draft Sewell and then Harris with pick 18. And thats ok because Flores doesnt trust Tua and if he can run Harris 20 times and Gaskin 8-10 times that would be their game plan for teams to stop.
No one knows for sure, but I feel the trusting issue has more to do with Gailey than Flo.

If they draft Sewell instead of trading down for Smith or Chase, we are taking a step backward. The OL supposed to be fixed last draft.

Sorry brother, but I disagree.

Thus far I have not seen someone shut down Mike Gesicki. He may have an off game, but he is too long with too great of a vertical jump for CB's to really contest him ... and he's too powerful for those DB's ... and he's too fast for any LB who could match up with him physically. Mike Gesicki is a matchup nightmare and a dominant chess piece. As he grows as a player he will blossom into a true star, IMHO.

Now that he's staying healthy and playing consistently, DaVante Parker is a true #1 WR, and he wins his 1v1's. Not sure how much more you could hope to get from him.

Jakeem Grant is not the best WR, but his change of direction is legitimately elite and his speed is legitimately elite. Both are in contention for the best in all of the NFL. Those physical traits scare the hell out of all defenders. Only DB's have any hope of covering him, and any safety with half a brain shades to Grant's side or risks a TD on every play. Almost all CB's either try to win the "bump" at the LOS and pass him off to a zone or safety over the top, or they stay WAY BACK and try to keep him underneath them, basically giving him the reception if he was targeted and actually snagged the ball. They are almost wholly focused on preventing the run after the catch, and have already sacrificed the conflict of actual coverage.

Those are real mismatch pieces. Someone like Albert Wilson, or now possibly Lynn Bowden Jr., are other difficult matchups.

Is it perfect? No. But we do have those guys.

Digital, I love your posts and you are someone I look forward to reading, but I'm going going to have to call this one out. Someone posted last week the stats that both of our QBs lead the league in throwing into tight windows and our receives are in the bottom for separation. That doesn't suggest a WR that's making any DC loose sleep.

Parker is good at what he's good at, contested and high balls, but he just doesn't get separation or runs great routes and that's not enough for a legit #1. A real #1 has to demand the defenses best corner or double coverage. The only reason Parker might have gotten that kind of treatment this year is because of how little respect the rest of our WRs get. I like him as a #2. But we really need either a true #1 or several more players at the Parker level so we either win via the mismatch that demands defensive scheming or overwhelm with everyone above average.

I agree with you about Gesicki and if he continues to grow, we will have a mismatch weapon to play with. But as good as he was this year, there is more game to grow into in order to get from better than good to top 5 scary. But he's more than good enough to require the defense to pay very careful attention to or pay the price.

Grant would be all that you suggested if he could catch the damned ball. But you are right that the defense has to take his threat seriously because what DC wants that one catch and sprint to the house highlight play that Grant will make for the year on his resume. That being said, I'd more than willingly give up some of that cut and 4.2 burt for a 4.3 guy who can catch, run and be a threat on the entire route tree, and not get knocked off the timing of the play whenever the wind gusts over 10MPH.

Gesicky is a matchup nightmare in the slot, no question about it. our TE´s have developed very nicely, kudos to the TE coach.

Gesicky is a matchup nightmare in the slot, no question about it. our TE´s have developed very nicely, kudos to the TE coach.
Keep him at TE position, and let him beat LB all day long. Aquire a legit slot receiver thur FA or draft.
He used at slot only because we don't have a slot man.

Digital, I love your posts and you are someone I look forward to reading, but I'm going going to have to call this one out. Someone posted last week the stats that both of our QBs lead the league in throwing into tight windows and our receives are in the bottom for separation. That doesn't suggest a WR that's making any DC loose sleep.

Parker is good at what he's good at, contested and high balls, but he just doesn't get separation or runs great routes and that's not enough for a legit #1. A real #1 has to demand the defenses best corner or double coverage. The only reason Parker might have gotten that kind of treatment this year is because of how little respect the rest of our WRs get. I like him as a #2. But we really need either a true #1 or several more players at the Parker level so we either win via the mismatch that demands defensive scheming or overwhelm with everyone above average.

I agree with you about Gesicki and if he continues to grow, we will have a mismatch weapon to play with. But as good as he was this year, there is more game to grow into in order to get from better than good to top 5 scary. But he's more than good enough to require the defense to pay very careful attention to or pay the price.

Grant would be all that you suggested if he could catch the damned ball. But you are right that the defense has to take his threat seriously because what DC wants that one catch and sprint to the house highlight play that Grant will make for the year on his resume. That being said, I'd more than willingly give up some of that cut and 4.2 burt for a 4.3 guy who can catch, run and be a threat on the entire route tree, and not get knocked off the timing of the play whenever the wind gusts over 10MPH.
Thanks @fin415 for the kind words.

Parker was clearly getting the #1 WR treatment this year, and even when his running mate, Preston Williams, went down Parker continued to be productive despite the focus. Our offense, like most in the NFL, looks to throw to the receiver who is single-covered. Parker drawing extra attention frees up other receivers to get that single coverage. Then, when Parker is single covered, he generally makes his catches. It's true we did not convert as many of our targets as a team as we would have liked, but then again we had a lot of turnover in our receiving corps. No Albert Wilson, who would have started. No Allen Hurns who would have been our #1 backup. Preston Williams injury after he had soaked up all of training camp and early games reps. Isaiah Ford spent time with us, then time with the Patriots, then back with us ... not ideal for chemistry. Antonio Calloway, limited time as well.

Then there was throwing to backs who rotated in and out like Myles Gaskins, Salvon Ahmed, and poor performers like Jordan Howard and Matt Breida. Then we blooded a new Albert Wilson type in Lynn Bowden Jr. All in all, that's a lot of churn. Factor in that we played musical QB's as well and had a limited preseason ... it's not surprising that our receivers were not as sharp as usual, nor that they had the same chemistry with Fitz and Tua. Overall, there was less chemistry because the guys weren't playing with the same guys for enough reps to really gel, IMHO.

Grant has been productive ... but yes, he has small hands and is a body catcher--which is a problem. He had a return TD, scared DB's off him constantly, and terrorized safeties to the point many other receivers were open. One thing some fans do not value as highly as they should is the ability of a speed guy to dictate defense. Whether it's Kenny Stills or Jakeem Grant, that safety will shade the side with the speed threat, and Grant's speed is elite. So, some of those successful running plays worked in part because the routes run pushed the DB's deeper. Some of those pass plays short worked because Grant pushed multiple DB's deeper.

Believe me when I say, we're not a good run blocking team and we're not a team full of good RB's. Our running game is wholly manufactured, and much of it comes from teams fearing our speed receivers. We were a short passing team. We threw few intermediate routes, and not a ton of deep routes. Without speed to keep those DB's at bay, teams would have completely shut down our short passing game. I'm just saying, sometimes not everyone appreciates what our receivers do when they're not catching the ball.

It's called an east schedule. Miami won't always be so lucky as to get one.
lol. There is no easy schedule in the NFL.

Go look at posters predications at the beginning of the season. Most had us at no more than 6 wins.

Flores got this team to 10 wins.

Back
Top Bottom