There you have it guys, its all about the "d" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There you have it guys, its all about the "d"

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
We have seen it so many times, "Defense wins championship" period! Our defense is good enough so is our QB. We need a running game and couple or more of good offensive lineman.

If you dream, it can happen. Lets make it happen Miami !

Today marks 30 straight, count it 30 straight Superbowls am watching without my favorite team in it. And am tired of it. I almost didn't watch today's game.

Our defense on its best day isnt even half as good as Seattle on their worst. There's a massive gap there.

Our scheme doesn't allow physical play anyways. It's a finesse zone "bend don't break defense." It's why we give up so many 3rd downs.

To think that Seattle, Tampa Bay, and many other losers have all won a SB since the last time Miami has even appeared in one. I fear Jacksonville will win before we do.

We need to continue to build the defense. The linebacking unit is very weak to begin with and Miami needs another good corner opposite Grimes. But, yes the pieces are close on defense especially if some of the young players like Jordan and Taylor emerge.

To think that Seattle, Tampa Bay, and many other losers have all won a SB since the last time Miami has even appeared in one. I fear Jacksonville will win before we do.

The Lions will probably become a dynasty before we sniff a Super Bowl.

I think we aren't that far away. Obviously, the o-line has to be fixed, add a veteran running back who can block and some run stopping help at LB. We have some young drafted talent at CB that needs to be coached up, hopefully they have a breakout year.

Our scheme doesn't allow physical play anyways. It's a finesse zone "bend don't break defense." It's why we give up so many 3rd downs.

Miami's defense is soft. Actually, their defense is Grimes, and that's about it. Didn't we just have a top rushing defense? Philbin, Coyle, and Ireland ruined that in two years with scheme and personnel changes. Tackling is terrible. How many times have they given up 20+ yard runs on 3rd and 20? Playcalling is terrible. CBs playing 10 yards off the WRs on 3rd and 7 or 8? Offenses march right down the field. The talent level may improve under Hickey, but as long as Philbin and Coyle are in charge the defense will be soft.

Miami's defense is soft. Actually, their defense is Grimes, and that's about it. Didn't we just have a top rushing defense? Philbin, Coyle, and Ireland ruined that in two years with scheme and personnel changes. Tackling is terrible. How many times have they given up 20+ yard runs on 3rd and 20? Playcalling is terrible. CBs playing 10 yards off the WRs on 3rd and 7 or 8? Offenses march right down the field. The talent level may improve under Hickey, but as long as Philbin and Coyle are in charge the defense will be soft.

Defense was better with Sparano and Nolan. It was always solid and physical, and would have been good enough if the offense scored more than 10 points.

Tonight wasn't just any Defense, this was a great defense, with a coaching staff that prepared them to execute the plan to a tee.

Its the way Seattle was prepared, the way the executed a great game plan by the Seattle coaching staff. The ONLY way to beat a high powered passing offense, is to do exactly what Seattle did tonight. You have to play PHYSICAL, you have to play tight press man coverage, and get pressure with your front line. Seattle blitzed with their front 7, played tight man coverage, hit everything that moved, and had constant pressure on the QB. Playing a finesse style defense, a bend but dont break, corners playing 10 yards off the ball, all that equals getting blown out by someone like Manning. If Miami wants to make a run within the next couple years, they will have to go through Brady and or Manning to reach a super bowl, and to beat them you have to play a style of defense like Seattle played tonight, and you need the personnel to run that style of a defense.

Defense was better with Sparano and Nolan. It was always solid and physical, and would have been good enough if the offense scored more than 10 points.

I would rather have Sparano and Nolan (with a new GM) than Philbin and Coyle. That's saying a lot, because I was glad to see Nolan go; his end of game defensive playcalling usually allowed opponents to come from behind and win.

The ONLY way to beat a high powered passing offense, is to do exactly what Seattle did tonight. You have to play PHYSICAL, you have to play tight press man coverage, and get pressure with your front line. Seattle blitzed with their front 7, played tight man coverage, hit everything that moved, and had constant pressure on the QB. Playing a finesse style defense, a bend but dont break, corners playing 10 yards off the ball, all that equals getting blown out by someone like Manning. If Miami wants to make a run within the next couple years, they will have to go through Brady and or Manning to reach a super bowl, and to beat them you have to play a style of defense like Seattle played tonight, and you need the personnel to run that style of a defense.

Unfortunately for us, Miami will never have a physical defense with Philbin and Coyle running it.

Back
Top Bottom