These 12 Are Gone, Whose Your Pick? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

These 12 Are Gone, Whose Your Pick?

I think that's an ideal role Gary.

So do I. And in that scheme flowers today would be worth at least a top 25 pick wouldn’t you say? I would.

Can you post flowers athletic profile next to rashan Gary’s for comparison purposes?

I realize flowers was a 4th round pick but he’s worth top 25 maybe top 15 even in the pats scheme any day. In a redo.

I Dont see the Kyle Van Noy player yet if that’s a thing we’re looking for early, Burns or Justin Hollins to me don’t have that overall skillset..

Of the players with any chance to be there at 13, Ed Oliver is the only defender that may make me deviate from investing in the OL. Quinen Williams won't be there. Kyler Murray won't be there. I love Josh Allen, but he won't be there, and he'd play the same role as Burns - who is right there with Allen as a talent (not as good now but younger and more athletic). Love Devin White, but unless Flores thinks he can play the Hightower role (about a 25 lb difference), it's hard to see his fit. Love Bush, but he's absolutely not a fit. I like Montez Sweat a lot and think he's a fit at DE, but he's probably off the board, and I don't love him enough to deviate. There aren't any DB's I have very close to the Top 10, and OL is much more pressing/time-sensitive. At WR, I'm looking to see if Harry or AJ Brown fall to the 2nd, and I might target Stanley Morgan Jr later.

The new QB will need a new OL, and some reliable targets who can also make big plays would. Maybe Parker shows something in 2019, but I don't see him ever developing into a high-volume WR. Harry and Brown profile as guys who can carry a heavy load and also produce big plays. 2020 has some guys who are just as reliable but more dynamic. Speaking of, if Miami didn't already have so many small receivers, I'd also like Isabella in the 2nd. For Miami, the 3rd is where I think he's still worth it.

With so many OL spots to fill, trading down could go a long way, and if Miami misses out on OT, I'd target Yosuah Nijman as a developmental OT. But, getting two of Dillard, Lindstrom, Williams, Risner, and McCoy + Nijman late would make it a successful draft for me. If they could get two and add Harry or Brown, I'd say it's ideal.
Brown or Harry would be nice adds. I think Brown could go end of round one, but I might be optimistic there.

So do I. And in that scheme flowers today would be worth at least a top 25 pick wouldn’t you say? I would.

Can you post flowers athletic profile next to rashan Gary’s for comparison purposes?

I realize flowers was a 4th round pick but he’s worth top 25 maybe top 15 even in the pats scheme any day. In a redo.

Gary is clearly the better athlete, but they're both more explosive than agile. I don't have an issue with Gary as a value or fit at 13. I don't think the pick makes a lot of sense for Miami's situation, though. Detroit paid out the nose for Flowers, but NE didn't, to my knowledge, offer him a contract before he hit the market. As you noted, they drafted him in the 4th. These guys who are somewhere between 4-3 and 3-4 DE's may fall because they don't fit most D's, but they're just right at DE for NE (and we assume Miami). Maybe Flores and Grier will value it more than NE, though. Gary's physical tools give him a different upside than Flowers.

To draft Gary, the FO has to feel confident that it can build an OL with Day 2 and Day 3 picks. Also, passing on OL at 13 makes it more likely to be a need at 33 (assuming they tank successfully) in 2020. It just feels like an unnecessary gamble to me.

I Dont see the Kyle Van Noy player yet if that’s a thing we’re looking for early, Burns or Justin Hollins to me don’t have that overall skillset..

Burns is more of a projection, but Hollins does a lot of similar things for Oregon, and he may not require an early pick. His speed should be helpful, too.

Assuming Miami stays put at #13 and these players are gone, who do you pick?

Already Drafted
QB -- Murray, Haskins
RB --- none
WR -- none
OL -- Taylor, Dillard
TE-- Hockenson
DL/Pass Rusher -- Bosa, Josh Allen, Q. Williams, Oliver, Sweat, Gary
LB -- White
DB -- none

Available:
QB -- Lock, Jones
RB -- Jacobs
WR -- Metcalf, Marquise Brown, AJ Brown
OL -- Jonah Williams, Ford, Risner, McGary, Bradbury, Lindstrom
TE -- Fant
DL/Pass Rusher -- Wilkins, Burns, Ferrell, Simmons, Lawrence
LB -- Bush
DB -- Murphy, Greedy Williams, Baker, Adderley

Other?
Burns, Wilkins, or Ford

Gary is clearly the better athlete, but they're both more explosive than agile. I don't have an issue with Gary as a value or fit at 13. I don't think the pick makes a lot of sense for Miami's situation, though. Detroit paid out the nose for Flowers, but NE didn't, to my knowledge, offer him a contract before he hit the market. As you noted, they drafted him in the 4th. These guys who are somewhere between 4-3 and 3-4 DE's may fall because they don't fit most D's, but they're just right at DE for NE (and we assume Miami). Maybe Flores and Grier will value it more than NE, though. Gary's physical tools give him a different upside than Flowers.

To draft Gary, the FO has to feel confident that it can build an OL with Day 2 and Day 3 picks. Also, passing on OL at 13 makes it more likely to be a need at 33 (assuming they tank successfully) in 2020. It just feels like an unnecessary gamble to me.

Do you think Gary deserves a bump for poa play at his age? In other words red shirt sophomore if I recall correctly. Not a 5th year senior etc.

Imo that’s bump worthy when you consider the athletic upside etc.

That difference in speed is massive too. Not that I believe Gary always plays to that speed. Still the guy can be a 4.55 275 lber or a 4.65 285 lber and I’m not talking about home cooking inflated pro day times either. 2 plus inches taller also.

I just don’t think this kind of athletic “edge” profile sniffs pick 13 but once every blue moon.

Last edited:
Burns is more of a projection, but Hollins does a lot of similar things for Oregon, and he may not require an early pick. His speed should be helpful, too.
He’s just to finesse for my taste J, Van Noy was always an aggressive smart run defender to add to his balanced skillset.

I would take Wilkins or trade down

I got to say. Its great to have at least one thread here where all the opinions are being respected. Enjoyed reading the whole thing.

I don't follow college football enough to be a draft Guru in any way and I don't care if we pick a Defensive Lineman or an Offensive Lineman as long as they can play football at the net level. No more Dion Jordan's or Charles Harris's in the first please... Pick someone who can START day one.

Talent can be found all through the draft but individual talent will only take the team so far. Our success will come from team coaching that molds individual talent into one cohesive unit.

Hollins or Burns? Van Noy struggled in a true off-ball role in Detroit and was widely labeled a bust.
Both actually are finesse player with speed but I was specifically talking about Hollins.

Van Noy should of not been placed in a true off the ball role, he’s an up the field type that likes to attack the ball, the qb, and play behind the Los.

He does many things well and his coordinated movement reflects that, just a matter of time before he became a very good player, cause that’s what he’s always been, a good overall instinctive football player.

I think that Gary 17 tape is worth a top 15 pick all day long.

Charlie casserly said he only played with 40 percent strength in his shoulder in 18. Not sure if I buy it or not but that 17 tape is damn good. For a true sophomore. About the only hole in it I see is the speed to the perimeter of the field isn’t always there but that’s nit picky. I don’t see the vision on tbe ball issues.

If they go off that 17 tape I think he’s another one that won’t sniff us.

Back
Top Bottom