These rumors are killing me! (Edwards to the 49ers) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

These rumors are killing me! (Edwards to the 49ers)

49ersFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Apr. 22 - The Edwards and Alex Smith camps are getting the feeling that Edwards will now go No. 1, and not Smith, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. All week, it's been Smith with the lead. No one knows for sure because 49ers coach Mike Nolan isn't saying. Edwards hasn't been offered a contract he can accept, but both sides know the parameters of a deal are in place in case Edwards is the pick. Even though Smith seems to be the preferred choice, it's not out of the question to have Edwards as the best player in the draft. The Dolphins have him No. 1 on their board.

Apr. 22 - Talks between the 49ers and Smith are all but dead, according to John Clayton. They've been going over the numbers and contract language for more than a week, and both sides know they can't reach a deal before the draft. Tom Condon, Smith's agent, said there will be no pre-draft day deal. The 49ers don't want to pay more than Eli Manning contract of a year ago. Condon wants the usual increase that goes with being the top pick.
The Bucs are still sitting in the weeds hoping to get Smith in a trade up at No. 2, and Smith believes he could end up in Tampa. The Bucs are willing to offer a third-round pick to move up now, but they may have to go with a second-rounder.

For the decent 49ers fans I know personally, this is just sad. Could Nolan and company have blown the smoke screen any more? It is clear they were bluffing with Smith, and it makes it even more clear they're bluffing with Edwards unless they have now been intimidated into buying a WR when they don't even have a QB to get him the ball.

After what the Chiefs have said and finally done...I wouldn't believe anything from any team now....it's all smoke. If Smith is the 49ers guy...and they don't sign him because they are too cheap...then the 49ers franchise is done. What ever fan base they have will turn away from them...it's just bad business all the way.

The 9ers seem to be confused moreso than intentionally sending signals. They seem more chaotic than anything else right now. Not a good way for Nolan's tenure to start.

phillyphinphan said:
nolan is going with rodgers all the way, his fatal flaw? he waited to long start blowing the smoke that saban was blowing from day 1...

I wouldn't say Saben blew smoke as much as I would say he settled behind a screen of smoke really giving no indications of who he wants.

svnrdr said:
I think if they do, Nolan loses all of his poker face leverage for next year.

Yeah, but they get their player. He is probably the player that helps them the most since he's ready to start and suited to the WCO, too. The best thing Nolan could do at this point would be to swallow his pride, take Rodgers, and remember not to repeat this mistake next year.

The 49ers are still the joke of the NFL. Nolan is still trying to get someone, anyone to trade with him all the while the whole NFL knows he wants Rogers.

He may take Edwards just because they become more of a laughing stock than they already are by selecting a player at #1 that may have a few too many questions (I still like Rogers, but he will need proper coaching).

I have said it for a week. Saban has played this in the most impressive manner as any past Dolphin organization, I am impressed.

Checkmate.

Jimmy James said:
Yeah, but they get their player. He is probably the player that helps them the most since he's ready to start and suited to the WCO, too. The best thing Nolan could do at this point would be to swallow his pride, take Rodgers, and remember not to repeat this mistake next year.

Actually the best thing Nolan can do is select Smith...and either force his hand...or trade him.

Back
Top Bottom