Things Are Looking Up For Miami's Interior Defensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Things Are Looking Up For Miami's Interior Defensive Line

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Any problem with the DL was more scheme related than personnel related.

usatsi_11304297.jpg

There is no secret that the Dolphins biggest weakness on defense has been their run defense over the last few years. One of the biggest needs this offseason was upgrading and improving one of the league’s front sevens against the run.

After just four days of camp — two with pads — it seems that things may have changed for Miami in a very big way. Yes, it is very early and the team has not played a game yet. However, this team has something they have not had up front on defense in a long while — depth, especially along the defensive line.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...ooking-up-for-miamis-interior-defensive-line/

Maybe it's just our OL is not up to the task?

Think it's both. I expect our d line to be a strength this year, im just still not sure if the LBs will be able to capitalize on that. With that being said this o line would probably make a CFL team look competitive.

As long as they play assignment/discipline ball.
That's the one thing I couldn't stand about Suh.
The guy was so predictable and consistently weaken the integrity of the DL with his non-discipline style of play.
He often left gaping holes in the interior portion of the DL.
His damn stance alone told you what he was going to do and made it that much easier to counter.

Assuming Wilkins is a plus player I don’t think there’s any doubt that it’s tbe best unit on the team

I remember hearing this in the preseason in the past, how or DL was our strongest unit in training camp. It was only because they were facing our worst unit. Once they played another team, the misdiagnosis was obvious.

While that is true, fans have seen seasons where the D played well against actual opponents . . . until a DC recognized the weakness. Then the Miami DC had no answer. I don't think (I hope) that won't happen in '19.

I'm all for the DL being a strength of the team. But the truth is when you're playing smart teams like the Patriots it almost doesn't matter.

Mainly because they're going to use these short drops and quick passes to help nullify that strength. DL starts getting frustrated that they're not getting enough pressure on Brady or Brees etc and start pressing and BAM! They hit you with a big gain on a draw or some other counter element.

In this league you need a strong OL. You have to be able to maintain drives and score TDs. All the rules favor that side of the ball.

Assuming Wilkins is a plus player I don’t think there’s any doubt that it’s tbe best unit on the team

DL as a whole is far from a good unit, we have no pass rushers at all. Interior DL should be solid, but I would still say RB and even secondary are better units on this team currently.

DL as a whole is far from a good unit, we have no pass rushers at all. Interior DL should be solid, but I would still say RB and even secondary are better units on this team currently.

I’m referring to the interior as in guys who will line up by and large inside tbe tackles

Maybe it's just our OL is not up to the task?
That was my first thought as well. But, honestly I do expect Miami to be a lot better in run defense. Wilkins likely plays a lot of DE this year, which will help. I have no idea who else starts there, but the team will obviously use a 3-4 as well. The scheme also will be better simply by getting away from the wide 9.

I'm all for the DL being a strength of the team. But the truth is when you're playing smart teams like the Patriots it almost doesn't matter.

Mainly because they're going to use these short drops and quick passes to help nullify that strength. DL starts getting frustrated that they're not getting enough pressure on Brady or Brees etc and start pressing and BAM! They hit you with a big gain on a draw or some other counter element.

In this league you need a strong OL. You have to be able to maintain drives and score TDs. All the rules favor that side of the ball.

I think why Flores believes in a more read and react scheme with his D lineman instead of an attacking style is about what you are refferring to in your post, he has coached against the best mis-direction team in the NFL in the brady led offense and he knows better.

Back
Top Bottom