Things Feel Different | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Things Feel Different

bevophin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know it's really early, but things definitely feel different this year. Having been a Phins fan for so long, I've been used to the big build up in the offseason, the good starts (usually), the fades in December/January and the quick playoff exits. It finally feels like things have changed.

I'm not expecting playoffs this year, but I think we can be competitive in the toughest division in the NFL. It will be nice coming into the season with a different set of expectations and surprising some teams along the way.

Last year was the culimination of some very poor decisions and lack of improvement over the past 10 years, but it was a necessary purge. Saban has come in and asserted himself as the eyes, ears and voice of the dolphins. He is getting a lot of respect from players, writers and other coached. I think he will really be a step above the other recently failed college-to-NFL-converts.

I can't wait until kickoff.

It feels different cause we have added RB, Saban and Houck, and Matt Roth and a lot of nice signees.....and we got rid of Ears Fiedler, Wanny, Spielman.....I can't wait for WEEK 1.....Broncos gonna get whupped.!!!

It should feel different. Anything is better then Wanny. We also have a good coaching staff. We also have a good backfield and if Boston stays healthy a very capable receiving core. If the QB can be decent we will have a much better year. Cannot wait until week 1:D :D

I think the biggest difference was that the old regime was happy with just being better than average. As long as they kept things status quo, they had a job and that was enough for them. I almost felt like Wanny stayed on as coach just to keep his friends out of the unemployment line.

Saban is all business without the B.S. Things have changed and even though I don't expect a Super Bowl championship this year I feel like they're closer now and the long term future looks better than at any time under Wanny.

BassFin said:
I think the biggest difference was that the old regime was happy with just being better than average. As long as they kept things status quo, they had a job and that was enough for them. I almost felt like Wanny stayed on as coach just to keep his friends out of the unemployment line.

Saban is all business without the B.S. Things have changed and even though I don't expect a Super Bowl championship this year I feel like they're closer now and the long term future looks better than at any time under Wanny.

I agree Bass...the old regime played not to lose and I just don't see Saban being happy with "status quo"....If we win ugly, I think Saban will be all over the team the following week to get their act together, instead of Wanny's "well a win is a win".

LarryFinFan said:
I agree Bass...the old regime played not to lose and I just don't see Saban being happy with "status quo"....If we win ugly, I think Saban will be all over the team the following week to get their act together, instead of Wanny's "well a win is a win".

And I don't think punting will be accepted as a viable offensive play!

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is when we are a finished product, I wont have to hear all the "another nov-dec swoon for the dolphins" talk. That ish always pissed me off (the fact that it was true pissed me off even more). I want to see physical, smart, aggresive football from week one to week 12.

phillyphinphan said:
The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is when we are a finished product, I wont have to hear all the "another nov-dec swoon for the dolphins" talk. That ish always pissed me off (the fact that it was true pissed me off even more). I want to see physical, smart, aggresive football from week one to week 12.
I would really love to start hearing it's Dec and oh no we have the Dolphins next week. But I have to agree, it does feel different. I'm so hyped and ready for the season to start.

I agree. I am feeling postive vibes coming from fin land. I can't wait for the season to start

islandah said:
And I don't think punting will be accepted as a viable offensive play!

You remember Mark Royals too huh??? :yell: :fire:

Ya hopefully we see a lot less of our punter unlike the last few years.

bevophin said:
I know it's really early, but things definitely feel different this year. Having been a Phins fan for so long, I've been used to the big build up in the offseason, the good starts (usually), the fades in December/January and the quick playoff exits. It finally feels like things have changed.

I'm not expecting playoffs this year, but I think we can be competitive in the toughest division in the NFL. It will be nice coming into the season with a different set of expectations and surprising some teams along the way.

Last year was the culimination of some very poor decisions and lack of improvement over the past 10 years, but it was a necessary purge. Saban has come in and asserted himself as the eyes, ears and voice of the dolphins. He is getting a lot of respect from players, writers and other coached. I think he will really be a step above the other recently failed college-to-NFL-converts.

I can't wait until kickoff.

I agree...things definitely feel different...There isn't the usual build up for the season expecting huge things...but I am excited because of the direction that this team is headed. We've never really felt, as Dolphin fans, how it is to rebuild or bounce back after going through the turmoil that was last season...I, for one, am quietly confident that we'll have a sucessful season. Almost every contending team has, at one point before becoming really good, gone through what we have...Sometimes a team needs that high pick and a purging of itself before taking the next step. I gues we can consider last season as a big giant bottle of Mega Colon Blow (Can anyone guess the reference to a movie there?).

Better Backfield, upgraded Receiving corps, improved and renewed confidence among the offensive line and having REAL teachers/coaches and coordinators leading each is cause of optimism. All of that should, keyword, SHOULD help A.J. improve... Even with the loss of Surtain and ?'s in the secondary, a new Defensive Scheme and some younger talent and free agent additions certainly have the returning vets (Madison, Taylor, Thomas, Seau) feeling as good about this team and defense as they have in years, that too is reason for optimism. But, yes, as everyone said, the OVERALL mind set of this team had does a complete turnaround. No more 3 runs and punt, no more bend, bend, and then break defense. It will be attack, attack, attack, and we may win or lose, but we will win or lose having thrown everything at you and leaving nothing on the field. Not settling for "field position" for our kicker to kick a game winning FG, but if time allows, pushing the ball down the field to put it in the end zone and putting the game away.. This team will dictate tempo, and the key word and change for this team is attack, whereas the key word under the Wanny teams were "react" as in waiting for a team to make it's move on us and then react after it's too late, or "coward" as in Wanny was a coward to give Chan or Norv any kind of Freedom with their offenses. Nick and this coaching staff will never stand for anything other than perfection and will do nothing but attack, attack, attack. Calling plays and letting players play is what keeps their minds sharp and their skills tested.... the players enjoy playing for a coach that allows them to attach, and that's why I feel a difference and am optimistic for this team and this organization moving forward as long as Coach Saban is here!

I understand and feel the optimism, but we were only bad for one season. I'd be really, really excited right now if this were the Cardinals or Bungals, but I've come to expect winning to an extent from this franchise. Don't attack me (please!!!) if you disagree.

it's also good to see the vets behaving like this was their first mini-camp. It's pretty amazing that Saban has gotten so much respect so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom