Things Opposing Fans Say | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Things Opposing Fans Say

I've had nothing but positive experiences wearing my Dolphins gear all these years in and around NYC, going back to the 80s when I could start affording jersey and hats. I'll be in the mall, on the subway, at the gas station, just walking down the street and people will just talk to me about Marino, Shula, the recent run of hard luck. Just a few hours ago, I was at Dunkin Donuts and I'm wearing my 80s-era 85 jersey and the guy ahead of me says he's a Fins and Mets fan, so we talk for a couple of moments. It's all been positive, quite honestly. Even the times when a Jets fan tries to jokingly give me grief, I'll just say "Does the sight of perfection bother you?" There was even one time I was in Taipei with my ex-wife in 1999 in a printing shop. I was wearing my Dolphins satin jacket and they had just got shut out by the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. Out of nowhere, an American walks up to me and we start commiserating about the loss. In opposing stadiums, it's all been good, even in a Dolphins win. I'll stand and cheer for my team, but if I'm sitting next to the other's team fan and they score, I'll turn to them and shake their hand. I'm not a fan of talking poop, especially if I'm outnumbered 62,000-1. Be a good guest and if I'm in Miami, a gracious host.

Truthfully, I can't think of a bad experience.
Best post ever on that subject!

Pretty much mirrors my experience. I never had any problems wearing a Dolphins shirt. Most engage in casual football talk. In the 80s and 90s it was friendly banter with Jets and Bills fans.

The Taipei story made me laugh.
A few years ago I was for 3 1/2 weeks in China which included almost 2 weeks in the Yunnan Provence. Here I am wearing my Dolphins jacket in the Western Chinese mountain in a tiny village I couldn't even pronounce if I studied the name for the next 10 years and from behind I hear those two high pitch voices in extreme broken English sing the Dolphins fight son. :lol:
I turned around and there was that young Chinese couple giggling and smiling like they just opened Christmas presents. I tried to talk to them but to no avail. They did not speak English at all. The jacket I wore was my back up jacket anyways so I gave it to the young lady and the two were thanking me a million times (I assume it was thanking me. They may have called me a stupid jerk or something :shrug:).
I was pretty cold the next couple of hours but was well worth it. Up to this day I have no idea how they knew and could sing the Dolphins fight song. But it was adorable and surprising. :lol:

South Jersey as well...Eagles central.

Its mostly playful back and forth with them where ever I touch down to watch a game (BWW mostly, Chickie & Pete's, a sports book) because they know I won't stop with the sh_t-talking once it gets to a certain point.

We mostly know each other and they save their venom for Cowboys fans.

I work at a bank here in CT and I have a few Dolphins items displayed in my office. It amazes me how many customers sit down and tell me they are Dolphins fans too.
Same here! I live in CT and whenever I am out and about wearing my Dolphins gear I always get some random person telling me they are Miami fans, or their husband is, kids, etc.
By now, my ol' lady expects me to be chatting with strangers about the Dolphins! :lol:

Same here! I live in CT and whenever I am out and about wearing my Dolphins gear I always get some random person telling me they are Miami fans, or their husband is, kids, etc.
By now, my ol' lady expects me to be chatting with strangers about the Dolphins! :lol:
Funny! Yesterday I went for a run at the local greenway, passed a guy walking with a Dolphins hoodie then 45 mins later, driving home and passed a guy on his bicycle with a Dolphins hat on lol. Of my close friends, 4 of the 6 of us are Dolphins fans and all became fans before we met.

I've never really had a confrontation while wearing any Dolphins gear. But, I'm out West, so it's not like I'm in a liquor store on a Sunday morning in Foxboro before a Pats game. If anything, I just say, "17 and 0" and people stop. Kind of like if anybody says anything while wearing a Yankees shirt at the Mariners/Yankees series we go to every year in Seattle. A simple, "27" shuts 'em up.

I have a lifetime goal to see the Dolphins play in all 31 NFL cities. So far I’ve seen Miami in New York, Buffalo, New England, Cincinnati, Carolina, Indianapolis, Detroit, Jacksonville, and Washington. Best opposing fans have been Cincinnati and Buffalo, worst was New England.

Lately it's been "my team wins". Look forward to the Phins judo chopping them in the throat lol.

Back
Top Bottom