Thinking Strategy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thinking Strategy

Samphin

Dolphins Homer
Reaction score
I had some time today to really sit and think about this upcoming game. I have come to some conclusions, let me know what you think.

1. This is a make or break game early. People will say not to get hyped up over a game this early but this is huge imo. If we can shed this gorilla off our back finally, it would boost the whole team immensely and the SHOULD play with confidence after that. If you think that meas nothing then go ask the Patriots about playing with confidence.

2. This could very well be the game that puts Fiedler in the spotlight. Now I know he will never be Dan but think about it... If the Jets put 8 in the box to stop Ricky Williams, Jay can play fake all day and have the field open to hit all his targets. I am thinking the Jets will stack the line early to try to ocunter Williams but will be cot off guard by the passing game. Thus, forcing them to play back, which will open it up for Williams to ransack their line. If Jay can execute early with a stacked D-line, he can rape the Jets Secondary of the rest of their pride and finally shut the naysayers down.

3. Penetrating the Jets. Vinny took a beaitng last week. The one play everyone remembers is the Pats Safety coming in on a blindside blitz and level Greenballs(testeverde, get it?) to the ground. Dolphins haven't blitzed like they showed they can in preseason. With Surtain possibly out, this might be a good way to spark the d-line into shape and snatch a few sacks as well. The added pressure would make Vinny force the ball downfield hopefully into the arms of the home team.

4. Special teams. The Jets special teams play makes other teams special teams look extremely special...as in retarded. The phins have to stay in their lanes and make some tackles. No arm tackles either, I'm talking about knocking some teeth out hits. Also, Royals has done a fantastic job replacing that one guy...what was his name? Jerk, lurk something like that :D .

My overall take is that it should be a big win for the Dolphins and us fans in general as long as they continue to execute. So sit back and enjoy the grounding of the jets!!! :eat:

Dolphins 31 Jets 10

Well, I hope you are right on your prediction. I don't know what to think of this game, there are too many emotions from the streak. I do know that I don't care how many points the Dolphins win by, I just want them to win against the Jets!

This is a make or break game for the team. It reminds me of the game against the 49'ers last year when they failed to show up near the end of the season.

I do know that the Jets' offense matches up well against our D. Curtis Martin has traditionally killed this team. They need to get pressure on Vinny and put him on his back. A pass rush is a must, no mistakes on offense with a fast start and a solid finish! I know that is alot to ask, but this team's psychie needs this win. If they win, they are truely a SB contender in my mind....and...well...let's just stay positive here.

Go Dolphins! Kill the Jets!

The game will be close and decided late -- look for an interception to be the difference late...
Jets 27-Phins24 - last second field goal wins it

How is a last second field goal going to win if you are down by 30?.....:lol:

Yeah really, I can't fathom the Jets winning unless the Dolphins get lossed on the way to the stadium ala Spinal Tap :lol:

I don't understand, this is a make or break game and we are going to the super bowl if we win. For the last four years the Dolphins have shaken off the two losses to the Jets and gone to the playoffs. Winning one of the two games would have helped our playoff position but we were never going to the super bowl with our end of season play. The win against the Jets Sunday will help our confidence but what happens during the tough part of the schedule is what will make or break the year. Like the 49ers and Pats games last year.

I agreed Dreaded 34..the mark on a SB contender is one who exorcise it's demon and finds a way to win the game despite the history...This is that chance to make a idenity for the Dolphins and one that could shed light on their destiny for the year.

Md thats exactly what I meant. Shedding the burden of the curse of the Jets, would mark a mental growth as well as better personel. if they win and do it handily it could allow them to play with confidence throughout the rest of the season and that includes the hard part of the schedule in the middle. If they lose it will just crush the moral and will effect their play later on. That is why it is a make or break game for the first half of the season.

only problem with the playoffs is 1 less wild card so 1 loss can make a much bigger difference this year -- you can see a team with a losing record in the playoffs this year
the AFC north is 1 - 7 so far i think

This is a huge game, no doubt about it. If we can win big time in this game the sky is the limit. A blowout win by the jets could send us in a falling spiral.

Totally agree that we need this game to prove we are a contender even if the Jets go 1-15. Once past this win, the Jets will be reeling and the Fins will be riding high into an extremely difficult, i.e. the Jets game in Miami s/b one of our easier ones. All I really care is if we win and not about the score; and of course, TOs will determine that.

The Jets 2ndary is very suspect, particularly if the rifle-toting FS is out. Jay to Chambers s/b there for the taking. But we need to keep the Jets completely off guard on D by running Ricky, Jay and even Konrad and throwing to anyone of the field. Then hope to finish strong w/Ricky :judge:

On D, we need to make the Jets work the ball just like we made the Dolts work it last week. As long as our O is playing well, our D can bend. I would rather see us leave 4 guys in there on the DL than blitz often, but a few disguised blitzes early to rattle Vinny w/b smart

We need to work towards a draw in the ST so that Jets cannot win another game via Morton.

Originally posted by 85inthehall
The game will be close and decided late -- look for an interception to be the difference late...
Jets 27-Phins24 - last second field goal wins it

Will you stop with the late field goal crap. IF you guys win, it won't be a late field goal, it'll be a blow out. You are talking with a lot of confidence considering you got blown out last week......

Originally posted by Samphin
If they lose it will just crush the moral and will effect their play later on. That is why it is a make or break game for the first half of the season.

We all agree that the Dolphins will have a big win Sunday. But if we do lose the Dolphins will not be crushed. They will just take it out on the rest of the league like they have for the past four years. :rolleyes: Maybe us Dolfans will be crushed. :cry:

Re: Re: Thinking Strategy

Originally posted by dolphan39

On D, we need to make the Jets work the ball just like we made the Dolts work it last week. As long as our O is playing well, our D can bend. I would rather see us leave 4 guys in there on the DL than blitz often, but a few disguised blitzes early to rattle Vinny w/b smart

While I admit that I was one of the first on the Bates Basher Bandwagon, it's hard to argue results. 13 POINTS and a WIN is certainly more important than any mid-field shenanagins (what the hell is a shenanagin, anybody know?) that might have happend because of the Bend Don't Break. The only problem with Bend Don't Break is that it has been proven over and over not to work consistently. We cannot let Testaverde sit back there all day and suddenly find his receivers -something he hasn't done as of yet. He's streaky and if we let him get into a groove by being too predictable, we are in our usual trouble. I think our stratedgy should be to rattle Vinny CONSISTENTLY throughout the game by switching to and from the softer BDB to heavy rush/ run blitz type schemes, mostly the latter. Especially with our beat up and somewhat questionable secondary, and the fact that their Oline is not playing too well (unlike Manning and the Colts Oline), we have to stop them where it starts before it starts. Also, a little bending and breaking of Sherbert would be quite in order.
Normally I'd be very concerned with Curtis Martin, but since he's a bit banged up, I think we can concentrate on not letting Vinny get hot.

On Offense, while it would be just plain magical to see a 76 yard pass hit Chambers in stride for the winning TD, I want methodical and efficent. Run run run them around and into the ground until they are too tired to even pant. A long pass or a last minute field goal would give them reason to think our streak ending win was a fluke. I want physical and mental domination. Run Rickey, Robert, Travis, run over, through, around, make these pests scurry back to the rat hole they come from once and for all.

Okay, maybe one really long in-stride TD pass to Chambers as well, but the rest-RUN,RUN,RUN.

Back
Top Bottom