Third Round Quarterbacks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Third Round Quarterbacks

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
Because it is looking more and more likely that Miami will select one of the big three tailbacks in the first round, I think it is imperative that they look for a potential starting quarterback with their third round pick.

Of the quarterbacks that may be available, I believe David Greene is the best of the lot. The other two that will probably be drafted around that area are Andrew Walter and Adrian McPherson.

Walter is a big, tall, traditional drop back passer with an incredible arm....probably the best arm in the draft. He's also been a quarterback that is more accurate on the deep stuff than on the intermediate stuff. He's a definite first round talent who just hasn't had first round accuracy to date.

McPherson is one I scratch my head over. I was never impressed with him at FSU, and suddenly, he's a hot prospect for the NFL. There are some tools there, but I believe he is much more of a runner than a passer at this point. His highest completion percentage at FSU was 51.8%.

Why do I get the feeling that Walter is the second coming of Jay Schroeder?

If we took Brown at 2 (or 5, or wherever) and took Greene in round 3, I could get over us passing on Aaron Rodgers.

McPherson's Arena stats simply cannot be ignored. He's a project, and he was playing against subpar competition, but still, those are Madden 2005 numbers that he was posting. It's not like he was playing against high schoolers; we've had some decent pros come out of the Arena league. That and his excellent workouts make him worth a flyer. However, he's (in my mind) EASILY got the biggest spread between the highest and lowest he could go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in round 2, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in round 7.

Hey Muck, do I get a Draft Guru badge for that? :roflmao:

I think a QB in the third maybe a wasted pick. I think we probably have other needs to fill like S, or DL, or OL that we could pass on a QB in the third. Take a real project if you will in 5, 6 or 7, and keep the 3rd for more of an imediate impact player.

Other than that, thanks for your thoughts on the QB's. Why do you think that Greene is the best 3rd round prospect? I don't know much about him, would you please explain? Earn that Draft Guru Badge.....haha!!!

NLude33 said:
I think a QB in the third maybe a wasted pick. I think we probably have other needs to fill like S, or DL, or OL that we could pass on a QB in the third. Take a real project if you will in 5, 6 or 7, and keep the 3rd for more of an imediate impact player.

Other than that, thanks for your thoughts on the QB's. Why do you think that Greene is the best 3rd round prospect? I don't know much about him, would you please explain? Earn that Draft Guru Badge.....haha!!!

If there is a Tom Brady in this draft, it's Greene. He doesn't have a great arm, but it's good enough. Very smart, great leader, can't argue with the production...ah, hell, I'll just refer you to one of KB's numerous posts about him. He makes a much better argument than I do.

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

NLude33 said:

When are we going to quit relying on late round picks and other teams' back up quarterbacks when it comes to our quarterback position?

This just isn't a position where you can place other needs on the team ahead of the need for a starting quarterback.

I don't know when this idea that you can get a starting quarterback in the late rounds started, but it can't be farther from the truth.

KB21 said:
When are we going to quit relying on late round picks and other teams' back up quarterbacks when it comes to our quarterback position?

This just isn't a position where you can place other needs on the team ahead of the need for a starting quarterback.

I don't know when this idea that you can get a starting quarterback in the late rounds started, but it can't be farther from the truth.

KB....You had a post wherein you talked about Greene and made a believer out of me. I guess the fact that you had Brady pegged had some influence on me...oh well... ;)

I believe Greene is the most underrated player in this draft.

I guess I'd agree mostly with your analysis, so long as we're presuming Jason Campbell to be a 2nd round quarterback. He's going to be good. He's got moves, a nice cool head, good accuracy (I heard something like he never completed less than 60 percent of his passes) and the major knocks on him, are not significant IMO. He gets knocked for smarts, supposedly he scored a 14 on the wonderlic and then dramatically raised that to a 28 (which brings up issues of did he get hold wonderlic test answers so he could memorize them and/or get use to the types of questions). He also gets knocked because he could be a one year wonder. I also wonder about that, but he had 4 different offenses in 4 years, no? Talk about arrested development. He's got arm enough to run Linehan's offense (we're not talkin Culpepper arm, but pretty good arm). He's got the pocket poise and ability to move his feet.

I think he's the kind of guy where you'll have to give him 2 consecutive years in the same offense to give him a chance of success. But, all that means is keeping Linehan (or a disciple) around for a long time and letting Campbell sit for at least one full year as a rookie. He'll get use to the offense and he'll shine. I'm not worried about the wonderlic...that's an overrated measurement. He seems humble, and I bet he would be the type that studies the game film REAL hard. Dan Marino wasn't the smartest QB out there either. In fact, I heard somewhere that he scored pretty low on the wonderlic prior to his coming out.

I believe Greene is the most underrated player in this draft.

Technically depending on where Matt Jones ends up going I would have to call him the most underrated player in the draft, if we're talking about the scouts that say he's a 2nd or 3rd round prospect at WR. I think he's one of the top 10 players in this draft.

KB21 said:

I don't belive that really. I just feel that a QB in the 3rd is going to be a project player just as much as a QB in the 5th. Obviously he should be "better" being drafted in the 3rd over the 5th, but they are both 2-4 years from contributing.

I just think that if we want to get a QB out of this draft to start in 2-3 years, we need to use our #2 overall while we have it, and take a QB.

KB21 said:
Because it is looking more and more likely that Miami will select one of the big three tailbacks in the first round, I think it is imperative that they look for a potential starting quarterback with their third round pick.

Of the quarterbacks that may be available, I believe David Greene is the best of the lot. The other two that will probably be drafted around that area are Andrew Walter and Adrian McPherson.

Walter is a big, tall, traditional drop back passer with an incredible arm....probably the best arm in the draft. He's also been a quarterback that is more accurate on the deep stuff than on the intermediate stuff. He's a definite first round talent who just hasn't had first round accuracy to date.

McPherson is one I scratch my head over. I was never impressed with him at FSU, and suddenly, he's a hot prospect for the NFL. There are some tools there, but I believe he is much more of a runner than a passer at this point. His highest completion percentage at FSU was 51.8%.

I'm not so sold on Walter, only because I did not see a lot of him. I did see a lot of Greene, and he impressed the heck out of me. He started like 52 straight games, and set the NCAA record for most wins I think. The only thing with him that I saw is that his arm strength is not great. He can throw outsite the pocket, and moves pretty good inside it. You don't start 4 years in the SEC, and win as many games as he did, and be considered bad, thats for sure.

I'm not quite sure where Vincent Jackson is going to get picked. I've seen anywhere from early second to the fourth round. So if he were there in the third, along with Greene I would be torn about who to take, probably leaning towards Jackson. He is a monster, with good hands, and speed that cannot be taught. I think he will be a steal for anyone who picks him. I would have prefered this same scenario in the fourth round though, that to me is where both these players fit IMO.

All this going with the the premise that they take one of the three Rb's first.

In case anyone's wondering, the original Draft Guru, Marvelous Mel Kiper, projects Greene in the mid-fourth round to New Orleans at #118.

Back
Top Bottom