This Day In 1973 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Day In 1973

Yeah, 10 years before my time. I’ve never witnessed the Dolphins win a SB. Only lose one in 84. I’m beginning to think that I will never see them win one in my lifetime. But, as long as another team never goes undefeated.

those were the days my friend I thought they'd never end...

Those were the days man. I wish it could be now.....back on those days I was just a little kid.

Very nervous day. Everyone understood the historical significance, beyond winning that Super Bowl itself. One year earlier my dad and I played golf on the morning of the Super Bowl. Everyone realized we were rightful underdogs to the Cowboys but there was some upstart confidence and we were not conceding anything. I don't remember being nervous at all.

The following year my dad joked about playing golf in the morning a year earlier. Now that wasn't a slightest consideration. I'm not sure I would have been able to swing a club. We realized the sports world would either celebrate the accomplishment forever, or mock us for blowing it against the old crusty Redskins.

Nothing serious

I like to focus on big picture. Fortunately that played out during the game itself. It was still scoreless in the second quarter but all of a sudden I became incredibly relaxed. Hey, the Dolphins are controlling matters. This should work out. Just a matter of time. My family members were still loud and reacting to every play. They didn't understand what happened to me. Later I told them.

The all time great sportswriter Jim Murray wrote a column prior to the game, describing the Dolphins as the upstart little team with sardines on the helmet. And Murray flooded that column with all of his typical similes, both subtle and over the top. It was absolutely glorious.

But Miami was not accustomed to that. The local columnist Edwin Pope had the southern charm style but he simply was not in Jim Murray's league. Somehow Miamians felt it necessary to attack Jim Murray. They flooded the Los Angeles Times with scathing letters to the editor, especially after the Dolphins won. The local Miami papers actually reprinted some of the letters that had been published in Los Angeles.

When I went out to school at USC I realized how preposterous it was. Every Jim Murray column was a spectacular tongue in cheek tour de force, just like the one he had bestowed on the 1972 Dolphins. Murray was said to delight every time an area became unhinged at one of his columns. The most notable example was when he forever redefined the city of Cincinnati.

I know BB has more SBs etc but I have to believe seeing that famous photo of Shula being carried off the field “perfect” eats at him the way they lost to the 10-6 Giants in 2007. Hahahahahahjaja!!!!

Been a long time but I remember the run and the win. Miss Don Shula....simply the best.

I find this post sad. Don't get me wrong, I remember that too, only that we have to go so far back to remember glory...Even if you go back to the mid 90's (or just before) that's still over 20 years since we were considered an elite franchise, that's all I'm saying...

Back
Top Bottom