This draft is a head scratcher. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This draft is a head scratcher.

Cheapshotz

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've watched both Rodgers and Alex Smith play a few times. I don't see how Smith is rated higher than Rodgers. Rodgers has the better arm PERIOD. He can make every throw in the NFL and he does it with GREAT accuracy.

Smith is a decent prospect, but he's always going to have a Chad Pennington noodle arm. He'll never be able to throw the long ball. Defenses will key in on the short passes and shut down the passing game.

The best you can get out of Smith is Pennington numbers. IMO Smith WILL be a bust. There's very little doubt in my mind about it.

I think some people feel that as a prospect Smith could not have better intangibles. He is very smart, good leadership skills, performs under pressure, is highly coachable and has a mental toughness. In scouting a QB these are more important than arm strength usually. That is the difference between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. It is what makes Montana, and Brady so good. Neither had that great of an arm but they both have great intangibles. That is what makes Smith the better prospect.

I am, by principle, against picking a Tedford QB. They are really mediocre with a few exceptions. Stress few.

PhinsPhan said:
I think some people feel that as a prospect Smith could not have better intangibles. He is very smart, good leadership skills, performs under pressure, is highly coachable and has a mental toughness. In scouting a QB these are more important than arm strength usually. That is the difference between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. It is what makes Montana, and Brady so good. Neither had that great of an arm but they both have great intangibles. That is what makes Smith the better prospect.

That's all fine and dandy. There's still no reason to pick him at #1 overall. He's nowhere near the top talent in the draft. He would be a good value pick in the 2nd round but in the FIRST?? I HOPE we don't pick him if he gets past SF.

BTW Smith doesn't have Mannings arm. He "might" have Penningtons arm if he's lucky.

Back
Top Bottom