This Is A 10 Win Team If The Ol Could Even Play Mediocre | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Is A 10 Win Team If The Ol Could Even Play Mediocre

yeah! Losing 3 starters from your OL should mean SQUAT! you people and your EXCUSES!!!

Seriously, the second-worst part of our injury situation is that it emboldens the absolute know-nothings to show their face again (i mean other than in game threads where they rise like a maggot from doo-doo whenever there is a bad play.)

OP- i agree w sentiment about Gase not building better depth in OL.
When things break down, he’s just plain bad. Everything has to be right for him to generally succeed.

I felt that they mis-judged Eric Smith. From what I’ve seen, he has a nastiness and a motor.

But at only 6’4 and 308, I would have kicked him inside. His lack of length and mean streak may have played well at guard. He should have decent feet, having been a tackle. I think he can be a good NFL guard.

It’s telling that NE, of all teams, jumped on him. But, he’s still on the practice squad. Maybe Chris Grier can sweet talk him into joining our 53 man roster and promise him a permanent spot on the 53.

The FO did a terrible job developing contingencies in case of injuries. The cluster that’s left is a disaster.

I’d be interested in seeing Tunsil-E Smith-Brendel-Davis-James. Smith and Brendel instead of Swanson and Larsen could be more stout. The problem is I don’t know how much work Smith has even gotten at guard. The Dolphins knew Brendel was going on IR and still tried to be too cute and sneak Smith onto the PS. By going to NE instead, you can see he’s a competitive kid.

When Brendel comes off injury, I think he adds a better athlete and maybe even more strength than either Kilgore or Swanson.

I also wonder if Jesse Davis’ best position isn’t RT. With James really struggling, maybe you kick Davis outside to RT next year.

When things break down, he’s just plain bad. Everything has to be right for him to generally succeed.
Good point. Rarely do NFL QBs have a clean pocket.
Woodley was horrendous finding open receivers and couldn't move the offense when the running game was shut down, whereas Strock and Marino could find open receivers, avoid sacks and sustain drives.
Buffalo's offense was horrid with Rob Johnson. He was tall, athletic and looked the part (just like RT), but he was sacked a lot and couldn't move the offense. Out of desperation they benched him for Flutie (under valued and under appreciated his entire NFL career) and he led them to the playoffs and a near upset on the road of our Miami Dolphins. Trace Armstrong saved that game with a strip sack inside the 5yd line.
Winning QBs elevate the play of everyone around them.

I felt that they mis-judged Eric Smith. From what I’ve seen, he has a nastiness and a motor.

But at only 6’4 and 308, I would have kicked him inside. His lack of length and mean streak may have played well at guard. He should have decent feet, having been a tackle. I think he can be a good NFL guard.

It’s telling that NE, of all teams, jumped on him. But, he’s still on the practice squad. Maybe Chris Grier can sweet talk him into joining our 53 man roster and promise him a permanent spot on the 53.

The FO did a terrible job developing contingencies in case of injuries. The cluster that’s left is a disaster.

I’d be interested in seeing Tunsil-E Smith-Brendel-Davis-James. Smith and Brendel instead of Swanson and Larsen could be more stout. The problem is I don’t know how much work Smith has even gotten at guard. The Dolphins knew Brendel was going on IR and still tried to be too cute and sneak Smith onto the PS. By going to NE instead, you can see he’s a competitive kid.

When Brendel comes off injury, I think he adds a better athlete and maybe even more strength than either Kilgore or Swanson.

I also wonder if Jesse Davis’ best position isn’t RT. With James really struggling, maybe you kick Davis outside to RT next year.
Smith ... I think sometimes we over value these guys who we have on our roster. I mean, look at Malveaux. We all cried when he was cut, and no-one claimed him. Smith ... NE know a thing or two about good OL play, they've lost at least 1 starter this year that I know of, maybe more, and he's still on the practice squad. That's telling, in my opinion.

Agreed. NE still has to play KC & Steelers. If they lose those, we are in great shape.

The gap between how he does with protection vs how he does under pressure was the largest in the league in 2016 (imagine it's about the same now). QBs are going to face pressure. Not as much as they once did because of rule changes, but it's going to happen. They have to be able to handle it.

That is an interesting stat. Hadn't seen that before but I believe it, hence my post. If Gase/Grier chose to stick with Tannehill knowing this fact about what he is good and not good at, we should have been investing heavy in oline all along. And also calling more roll-outs, etc to keep pressure off of him so he can succeed.

That is an interesting stat. Hadn't seen that before but I believe it, hence my post. If Gase/Grier chose to stick with Tannehill knowing this fact about what he is good and not good at, we should have been investing heavy in oline all along. And also calling more roll-outs, etc to keep pressure off of him so he can succeed.

Bingo. You said it better than I have been trying to do. Unlike some of the other bum QBs mentioned here, there is a way for Tannehill to be very successful. It starts and ends with a competent OL.

No QB's elevating the play of Sam Young. He's 28th above Darnold, Luck, Carr and Newton so guess he's not the only one struggling under pressure.

How could they have invested more? His very first pick was an LT and he's brought in a bunch of veterans. By doing that, the team now has an average o-line. And even if we built this all-time awesome offensive line (at the expense of other very important positions, such as LB, he's still face pressure every game. It's unavoidable and all it takes is a couple of dumbass throws under pressure like that helmet bonker to turn a game.

If a QB can't succeed with an average o-line, particularly in today's NFL, perhaps he's the problem.

So of all the teams with poor lines our qb ranks among the worst of qbs with poor lines?

I guess if you consider 16 or so teams as having poor lines. But yes, he's the worst, by a good margin.

So of all the teams with poor lines our qb ranks among the worst of qbs with poor lines?

I guess if you consider 16 or so teams as having poor lines. But yes, he's the worst, by a good margin.

Good point. Rarely do NFL QBs have a clean pocket.
Woodley was horrendous finding open receivers and couldn't move the offense when the running game was shut down, whereas Strock and Marino could find open receivers, avoid sacks and sustain drives.
Buffalo's offense was horrid with Rob Johnson. He was tall, athletic and looked the part (just like RT), but he was sacked a lot and couldn't move the offense. Out of desperation they benched him for Flutie (under valued and under appreciated his entire NFL career) and he led them to the playoffs and a near upset on the road of our Miami Dolphins. Trace Armstrong saved that game with a strip sack inside the 5yd line.
Winning QBs elevate the play of everyone around them.
Winning QBs elevate the play of everyone around them. EXACTLY WHAT IVE SAID AD NAUSEUM FOR YEARS.

You can’t find this X factor in a QBR or a PFF rating believe me.

Tanny was top 3 in time to throw this year at like 2.3 seconds, Gase's offense is built to succeed with average an OL.

Bingo! I think Gase Is trying to pull a Belicheat, he knows if the QB can detect presnap battles and just make quick reads, he does not need the OL to hold for long. Like the Patriots that can use FA lineman because Brady excels at quick thinking, and pre snap reads, he also recognize Blitz and adjust accordingly. He also throws with anticipation knowing where the WR Is going to be with accuracy. Tannehill cant do any of that, he lacks pre snap, he takes to long on his reads, cant adjust or recognize the Blitz, and every short throw Is to the body of the WR, he doesnt put it where the WR doesnt need to stop, thats why Grant and Wilson are a waste. Thats why I want to see what Gase can do with a QB that at least can Scan the field quickly and throws balls to an empty zone where the WR doesnt need to stop. Tanny Made a living with Hartline on Hooks, but Gase Is trying to be innovative. Maybe he Is just crazy, maybe he doesnt have the QB to do it.

I said before the season started that this Miami team has the talent at skill positions to be a 10 win team...

IF the OL could play mediocre or better -- that is, rank in top15 overall or better, pass blocking and run blocking.

Said beforehand that the season essentially rode on the OL playing decent -- not great, just decent.

Sadly, we've seen the reality play out before our eyes that Gase knows -- or values -- ZERO about the role of the OL as a unit, and acquiring talent for those roles, top to bottom, backups included.

The middle of the line is a trainwreck -- add that to SAM YOUNG starting at LT (how is this even a third level backup plan???) and you have complete inabilty to sustain drives or keep a clean pocket or run block. That is, you have pretty much zero chance at competive games.

10 wins with a mediocre OL. And YES, with RT17 at QB!

Sadly, looking like a 5 win team with the current OL.

Gase is shown his hand over three years -- who he trotted out his first year -- last year, and this. He knows pretty much zero about the importance of the OL, inside to out, and pretty much zero about analyzing/acquiring talent there.

Once again sounding like the same broken record at OL, and as a season, for the Fins. Same as the last decade. Sad.

LD
I completely agree with you brother. The OL was they key to our season, and losing Sitton hurts a lot. Losing Kilgore is problematic, at least until Brendel returns. But the complete breakdown of all 5 positions is shockingly bad news. Tunsil, concussion … so we're assuming he'll return, but those things are cumulative and for a trench battling position where headslaps are common … it's scary. Ju'Wuan James has a history of small injuries, and he's had some terrible play until he was replaced, but do we even know why he was replaced? I'm assuming it was an undisclosed injury. Jesse Davis has done a pretty good job so far honestly. He has been very good in the run game, with occasional breakdowns, and be OK (above our mediocrity standard) at pass protection. I've been pleased with him so far. Larsen has been poor in replacement of Sitton … and honestly I expected better from Larsen. Swanson doesn't look up to the task of replacing Kilgore, even discounting the bad snap … he just isn't mobile enough for our ZBS and gets beaten quite a lot.

It's like our starting OL, over the span of a short time, just disappeared … and the replacements simply aren't good enough.

With a mediocre OL, you make a great point … our RB's are pretty good and can do the job. Our WR's are good and deep, and can make the plays, move the chains and provide chunk yardage and explosive plays. Our QB can play good football and lead us to potent offense. But without holes opened for RB's, we do not have a consistent run game, can't wear out the defense, don't push the safety out of the box, and don't provide any incentive for pass rushers to not pin their ears back. Without pass protection, Tannehill doesn't have time to wait on deeper routes, which means safeties can creep up, CB's can play tight coverage without fear of getting beat deep, and our explosive plays nearly disappear. It all falls apart if we lose the battle in the trenches. We need to find a way to win with smoke and mirrors … and you can only do that so many times.

Back
Top Bottom