this is a dumb question but... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this is a dumb question but...

Here you go

I found this on a sports page, it should help you out.:cool:

The term "franchise player" is one used in the context of the NFL. In 1993, the NFL and the NFL Players' Association concluded a collective bargaining agreement that first used that term.

The 1993 CBA creates categories unrestrictive free agency, restrictive free agency for players who have played for a certain number of seasons.

To prevent a situation whereby the very best players could be bought by other teams, The "franchise player" was created. Regardless of player's status as an unrestrictive free agent (which applies after four years of playing) each team can designate a franchise player for each season. The player may then only negotiate with the club for that season and the club must pay him the average of the five largest prior year salaries for players at that position he played the most games, or a salary of 120 percent of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

One more thing, a player can only be the franchise player for that team once. So if a player wants out of a town, he takes the franchise tag once then the following season he is an unrestricted free agent.

i may be old school,

but i don't really like the way players jump from team to team. i remember when players played because they loved their team and the game. this rooting for a player one year then hating him the next, sucks! :(

Re: i may be old school,

Originally posted by dolfan06
but i don't really like the way players jump from team to team. i remember when players played because they loved their team and the game. this rooting for a player one year then hating him the next, sucks! :(
I know what you mean - Thurman Thomas, Bryan Cox, etc... but this system works a hell of a lots better than baseball and I'm a Yankee fan. At least, the Jets cannot go out and spend 150 mil while teams like the Fins spend less.

sure, its better................

... but this system works a hell of a lots better than baseball

but thats like saying hemorrhoids are better than cancer, i'd rather not have either one! :lol:

I totally agree with you guys. I miss watching the same player with the same team every year. I think Junior Seau is the last of that dying breed. It saddened me to see Montana in a Chiefs uniform and it looks strange to see Rice in a Raider uniform. You just knew that Andre Reed was a Bill, Howie Long was a Raider and Lawrence Taylor was a Giant. I would have died if I would have seen Marino is a Vikings uniform. :eek: :cry:

They definitely need to adopt some sort of salary cap exemption for signing you own player. Maybe it can only apply to guys with more than a 5 or 10 year tenure on your team. Discuss amongst yourselves - I have my Departmental Holiday Luncheon now :rolleyes: :lol: :goof: :sleep:

it was different with cox..........

i was running out of excuses for that suckers antics on the field, when he went to chicago and later became a jet, i loved hating that dude! :yell:

I think it would be hilarious if Bryan Cox became a Buffalo Bill, especially after he flicked off the entire stadium while he was a Dolphin. :lol: What a sellout he would be considered then. :rolleyes:

it wasn't just his antics...............

i think he was a disruption to the whole team. i couldn't believe shula didn't fine him for some of the stuff he did. i wish Jimmy Johnson had of kept him for a couple years, that would have been a left nut and right nut confrontation. the only question who would have ended up the pr!ck! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom