This Is A Great Day In Dolphin History!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Is A Great Day In Dolphin History!!!

Again I'm excited, but I'm just wondering what he's seen to be so confident. I was hoping he would elaborate on Rosen's strengths and weaknesses etc.

I don't have the luxury of watching their games from last year and highlights aren't going to show a ton of negative offensive plays to pick a part either.

So while I'm gun-ho on the trade, I don't know what we really have yet.

Well, that is the thing, he's a talented College QB that landed in a place where he was sacked over 40 times, had little help to progress from bad coaching. Did he make mistakes? Yes he did. Did he show a bad attitude? Absolutely.

The thing is though, College is very different from the NFL. In College you might see only a handful of players good enough to play in the pros, so once in the NFL, you really need a good QB coach to work with you, a good O-coordinator to help work with your strength, as you matured, and a Good HC to create the right game plan to help you succeed...None of these things happened for him.

I know I am not telling you anything you probably did not already know, and I also am not able to watch that many college games...I am very far from a College Guru like many of these amazing guys, but I did do some research, and Rosen has great talent, but nobody really knows how good he will be, but in Miami will will have a Great (Not good) Coach in Jim Caldwell that will help him grow, and get the most of his abilities...If he fails, Miami has a lot of ammo to try and get their man next year.

Happy with the Dieter pick and was thrilled we traded back and got that 2nd next year.

Honestly, don’t love getting Rosen. He has a history of injuries, shows average accuracy at best, and has leadership issues. In fact, his scouting report questions his passion for the game. If we have a bad year and take a QB next year, we will look back on this as two wasted assets. We need more OL, we need a pass rusher. Just to name a few. I don’t see this guy as our future, and I don’t look at a 2nd round pick as a low risk deal. This narrative of “he had a bad year on a bad team?” Don’t buy it. “Goff” had a bad rookie year too”, don’t buy it. Did the Rams rush to move Goff after a bad rookie year? No. The Cards moved Rosen because he wasn’t the answer. In an ideal world I’m eating crow next year. I’m not convinced and believe this was poor asset management.. just my opinion.

Would you agree there is a difference between just outright trading a 2nd round pick for Rosen, and trading from 48 to 62, picking up a 2 in 2020 and using 62 on Rosen?

To me that mitigates it quite a bit (not to mention the Cards paying the majority of his contract).

Anyone remember Rosen's comeback win last year versus the 49ers? I hope that we get that version of Josh Rosen as he continues to grow as a QB.

Why are you so sold on Rosen?
He's not Tannehill!!
Tbh I'm more sold on the way we've gone about this off-season. We seem to have a clear plan and have stuck to it, No silly contracts handed out (could easily be paying 35mill + on Tannehill and James alone next season), no panicking halfway through free agency and signing a load of average players, we've worked at making sure we're in a strong position next off season...we needed major changes and that's what we've done.
Even liked the draft, was hoping for someone on the Dline first up, made sure we got another 2nd rounder before getting Rosen...
The fact we look like we know what we're doing and have a long term plan means I can fully accept a poor/mediocre 2019 season

Would you agree there is a difference between just outright trading a 2nd round pick for Rosen, and trading from 48 to 62, picking up a 2 in 2020 and using 62 on Rosen?

To me that mitigates it quite a bit (not to mention the Cards paying the majority of his contract).

I certainly agree the move was savvy. I give Grier credit for that. With that said, I don’t think Rosen is the guy. I don’t think his lack of leadership ability that was well documented prior to the draft is something that will drive with Coach Flo. I don’t see his arm vastly improving, and I’m not convinced this experiment works. I do hope I’m wrong, but time will tell. I think if you’re the GM making this move, you make it because you believe he’s your man. For a team with so many holes to fill, this isn’t a “try it and if it doesn’t work, draft your guy next year anyway” move you want to make, for if it fails, you’re down two picks, one fairly good, that you could have used to get better. 4th rounder? That’s low risk high reward. A second plus? No, that’s a move where you better be right, in my opinion.

I certainly agree the move was savvy. I give Grier credit for that. With that said, I don’t think Rosen is the guy. I don’t think his lack of leadership ability that was well documented prior to the draft is something that will drive with Coach Flo. I don’t see his arm vastly improving, and I’m not convinced this experiment works. I do hope I’m wrong, but time will tell. I think if you’re the GM making this move, you make it because you believe he’s your man. For a team with so many holes to fill, this isn’t a “try it and if it doesn’t work, draft your guy next year anyway” move you want to make, for if it fails, you’re down two picks, one fairly good, that you could have used to get better. 4th rounder? That’s low risk high reward. A second plus? No, that’s a move where you better be right, in my opinion.

I'd agree if we didn't get the 2nd rounder next year.

The pick we gave was a couple of picks from the third round.

To me that screams, let's roll the dice and see what we have for a year, if he doesn't work out we gave up very little. Not "he's my man."

Purely as a fan, it's almost worth an end of the round 2nd and getting back a 2nd next year to have Rosen to observe, evaluate, and discuss for a year, regardless of how it turns out.

A whole year of placeholder Fitz was going to feel like treading water, running on a treadmill, being stuck in quicksand, enter your comparison here ____________________________________.

Happy with the Dieter pick and was thrilled we traded back and got that 2nd next year.

Honestly, don’t love getting Rosen. He has a history of injuries, shows average accuracy at best, and has leadership issues. In fact, his scouting report questions his passion for the game. If we have a bad year and take a QB next year, we will look back on this as two wasted assets. We need more OL, we need a pass rusher. Just to name a few. I don’t see this guy as our future, and I don’t look at a 2nd round pick as a low risk deal. This narrative of “he had a bad year on a bad team?” Don’t buy it. “Goff” had a bad rookie year too”, don’t buy it. Did the Rams rush to move Goff after a bad rookie year? No. The Cards moved Rosen because he wasn’t the answer. In an ideal world I’m eating crow next year. I’m not convinced and believe this was poor asset management.. just my opinion.

It's true that the Rams didn't rush to move Goff after a bad rookie year; instead they brought in an offensive wonderkind who was responsible for ultimately getting Cousins paid obscene money for what he brings to the party.

By comparison, AZ brought in a college coach fired for his losing record who had already taken a de facto demotion to USC OC. This coach wanted a specific "talent" to execute his so-far failing system cuz if successful, he'd never have been fired. A team dumb enough to see this guy as a savor is also dumb enough to spend a bunch of unrecoverable $ on Rosen, and then on Bradford and Glennon. The indictment for bad decision-making lies with Arizona, not Rosen's performance given the coaching and offensive assets he had to work with.

So you're right, it's not apples to apples but it would have been if the Rams had retained Jeff Fisher. Instead it's enlightening what a change in coaching can achieve. In Miami, Rosen will be mentored by Jim Caldwell, one of the best QB developers who upgraded Stafford and whom PManning thinks walks on water. Here he has a fighting chance to achieve the potential that most draft gurus saw in him.. and still see in him as the 2nd best QB option in this draft.

It's true that the Rams didn't rush to move Goff after a bad rookie year; instead they brought in an offensive wonderkind who was responsible for ultimately getting Cousins paid obscene money for what he brings to the party.

By comparison, AZ brought in a college coach fired for his losing record who had already taken a de facto demotion to USC OC. This coach wanted a specific "talent" to execute his so-far failing system cuz if successful, he'd never have been fired. A team dumb enough to see this guy as a savor is also dumb enough to spend a bunch of unrecoverable $ on Rosen, and then on Bradford and Glennon. The indictment for bad decision-making lies with Arizona, not Rosen's performance given the coaching and offensive assets he had to work with.

So you're right, it's not apples to apples but it would have been if the Rams had retained Jeff Fisher. Instead it's enlightening what a change in coaching can achieve. In Miami, Rosen will be mentored by Jim Caldwell, one of the best QB developers who upgraded Stafford and whom PManning thinks walks on water. Here he has a fighting chance to achieve the potential that most draft gurus saw in him.. and still see in him as the 2nd best QB option in this draft.

Goff was the number 1 overall pick in 2016. Rosen was number 10 in his draft.

Big difference, and would buy Goff more time.

Rams went 4 - 12 in 2016 and had the 5th overall pick in 2017 (which they traded to the Titans).

Again, big difference.

If they had the first overall pick in 2017, and they saw a generational talent at QB at that spot, Goff may be on another team right now (despite being the top pick one year earlier).

The Cards decided to gamble on the potential of Kyler Murray instead of continuing with the potential of Rosen.

Goff was the number 1 overall pick in 2016. Rosen was number 10 in his draft.

Big difference, and would buy Goff more time.

Rams went 4 - 12 in 2016 and had the 5th overall pick in 2017 (which they traded to the Titans).

Again, big difference.

If they had the first overall pick in 2017, and they saw a generational talent at QB at that spot, Goff may be on another team right now (despite being the top pick one year earlier).

The Cards decided to gamble on the potential of Kyler Murray instead of continuing with the potential of Rosen.
But Keim and the Cards put Rosen in that position. To hire a failed, fired losing college coach with no NFL experience who was lucky to be demoted to USC OC and then place myopic faith in him that his failed system that didn't work among lesser college competition would work in the NFL with a talented but slight QB is an indictment on them, not Rosen considering what they gave him to work with from a player and coaching standpoint.

I would have preferred Chase Winovich at 62 but I love the Dieter pick. I’m not really sure what the point of trading for Rosen is. We’re still going to be a really bad team so we would be picking a qb in the 1st round next year. From what I’ve read, Rosen is an entitled rich kid with a poor attitude. Doesn’t sound like our future backup. Is the plan to flip him for more picks next year? If so, that’s a bad plan because he’s not going to look good next year.

I'm not nearly as positive about this acquisition, but Rosen does have talent. The question is whether he has the mindset and attitude to succeed. If he can change those things and become a hard working team player, it can be a good day.

I'm not nearly as positive about this acquisition, but Rosen does have talent. The question is whether he has the mindset and attitude to succeed. If he can change those things and become a hard working team player, it can be a good day.
He now has the coaches here to make him what he should or could be. Huge upgrade here over Arizona.

I would have preferred Chase Winovich at 62 but I love the Dieter pick. I’m not really sure what the point of trading for Rosen is. We’re still going to be a really bad team so we would be picking a qb in the 1st round next year. From what I’ve read, Rosen is an entitled rich kid with a poor attitude. Doesn’t sound like our future backup. Is the plan to flip him for more picks next year? If so, that’s a bad plan because he’s not going to look good next year.

The point is mainly to have someone with upside to evaluate all season instead of just riding with placeholder Fitzy, for very little money or draft compensation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom