This is a great example for not trading down | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is a great example for not trading down

Agree. Miami's rebuild is going nicely, but there's still work to be done.

I think the Dolphins need another good offensive lineman, maybe two. Teams still win in the trenches. Perhaps the Dolphins add one in free agency.

I do believe the depth on the offensive line in the draft will leave some good talent available in round two.

My problem is I have tunnel vision. I zero in on a need and forget the other positions. My hope for this draft is we add some serious speed to our team at WR and LB and a stud at RB. I see us going OL, too. However, I think it will either be an OT or an OC, not both. As with you, I think Grier often drafts for need (and sometimes goes against the strength of the draft) and not strictly BPA, but I am going to cut him some slack because we have had some serious needs before. This year, I see things a little bit differently. Yes, we have needs at WR, OL, etc., but I think if we went straight BPA, we would be okay. Would the results in the long run change? I have no idea.
Another thought I would like to throw out there is the cupboard is pretty bare regarding extra picks for 2022. If we do trade back, I would like to see if we could get an extra 1st and/or a 2nd for 2022 in the bounty. We might have to move further back than #8, but we could still get a good player there.

Last edited:
I agree with you. WR, RB and LB/pass rush are huge needs. Our first two picks need to be filling those needs but may be filled this month in FA. FA will ultimately determine who we draft.

My problem is I have tunnel vision. I zero in on a need and forget the other positions. My hope for this draft is we add some serious speed to our team at WR and LB and a stud at RB. I see us going OL, too. However, I think it will either be an OT or an OC, not both. As with you, I think Grier often drafts for need (and sometimes goes against the strength of the draft) and not strictly BPA, but I am going to cut him some slack because we have had some serious needs before. This year, I see things a little bit differently. Yes, we have needs at WR, OL, etc., but I think if we went straight BPA, we would be okay. Would the results in the long run change? I have no idea.
Another thought I would like to throw out there is the cupboard is pretty bare regarding extra picks for 2022. If we do trade back, I would like to see if we could get an extra 1st and/or a 2nd for 2022 in the bounty. We might have to move further back than #8, but we could still get a good player there.
Fans are all over the board regarding who the Dolphins should take at #3. Some years, we see a general consensus.

I'd say Smith, Chase and Waddle are talked about the most. But also Sewell, Pitts and Parsons.

If Grier and Flores feel the same way, trading down could be the best option. I do believe teams will want to move up for a quarterback.

So, to your point, the team could add picks for 2022 and still likely get one of the players mentioned.

Fans are all over the board regarding who the Dolphins should take at #3. Some years, we see a general consensus.

I'd say Smith, Chase and Waddle are talked about the most. But also Sewell, Pitts and Parsons.

If Grier and Flores feel the same way, trading down could be the best option. I do believe teams will want to move up for a quarterback.

So, to your point, the team could add picks for 2022 and still likely get one of the players mentioned.

Disclaimer: FA will change draft strategy, but, I agree, a lot of options at #3 (or lower) which, IMO, makes trade down easier. Just for fun, Miami likes Waddle, Chase, Parsons, Sewell and will be satisfied if they can get any of them at #3. If they are offered a trade down to #7, one of those guys WILL be there. The hurdle is who they like at the top of R1.

Disclaimer: FA will change draft strategy, but, I agree, a lot of options at #3 (or lower) which, IMO, makes trade down easier. Just for fun, Miami likes Waddle, Chase, Parsons, Sewell and will be satisfied if they can get any of them at #3. If they are offered a trade down to #7, one of those guys WILL be there. The hurdle is who they like at the top of R1.
Cutting Van Noy has me thinking Miami could be leaning towards defense.

Than again, I could be overthinking it.

Agree, let's see what free agency brings.

Cutting Van Noy has me thinking Miami could be leaning towards defense.

Than again, I could be overthinking it.

Agree, let's see what free agency brings.
It has me thinking they have confidence AVG can get the job done just as well, at 1/10 the cost, and also frees up substantial cap $ for FA flexibility.

It has me thinking they have confidence AVG can get the job done just as well, at 1/10 the cost, and also frees up substantial cap $ for FA flexibility.
That too. Just hit me as strange, not so much money wise but because of his leadership. He really was the leader of that unit.

That too. Just hit me as strange, not so much money wise but because of his leadership. He really was the leader of that unit.
Well, that was a narrative anyway. I have no idea if that is true, or to what extent. There are different ways to lead. Some guys are rah rah, some guys are fiery yellers and some lead by example.

Well, that was a narrative anyway. I have no idea if that is true, or to what extent. There are different ways to lead. Some guys are rah rah, some guys are fiery yellers and some lead by example.
I think Wilkins might be the main leadership guy on that side of the ball. Some other young player could step up. I don't know if X. Howard or Byron Jones fit into the leadership role.

But, you're right. There are different ways to lead.

I think Wilkins might be the main leadership guy on that side of the ball. Some other young player could step up. I don't know if X. Howard or Byron Jones fit into the leadership role.

But, you're right. There are different ways to lead.
I think McCain is actually a leader, and possibly Bake too.

I have seen Bobby leading the pregame huddles on multiple occasions, and I've never heard anyone, player or coach, say anything bad about the guy.

But yeah, Wilkins definately has the personality, and demeanor.

I don't see the issue?

Getting a very good OL prospect, with the ability and ceiling to playing all 5 positions possibly at a high level is nothing to be bummed about.

We have our franchise QB, no need to turn him into Luck 2.0 and getting him always injured.
Yes, we need more skill players on offense, no doubt, but Slater has the ability to be Tua's blindside protector.

Drafting Slater at 8 isn't a reach, he's actually a great prospect that should be a day 1 starter.

It's harder to find stud O-line later in the draft than wide receivers IMO

Back
Top Bottom