This is a great example for not trading down | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is a great example for not trading down

I see a great example of how we can trade w the Panthers and still be guarenteed one of Sewell, Chase, Smith, Waddle, or Pitts.

The fact that the dudes mock draft sucks doesn't change that.

I am totally in favor of the trade down. The only 3 players I would personally draft at 3 are Sewell, Fields, or Pitts. But seeing this teams progress....I trust Grier and Flores will make the right decision for this team!

Offensive linemen are always so hard to scout IMO. As a fan, I don't know if they are assignment sound, as an example. But you can see power and movement.

I love reading about those linemen with the killer instinct, who never quit and wear a defensive down. Last year that was Kindley. That's Sewell's scouting report as well.

Slater is said to be more technically sound. I think both will be good, maybe great players.

I also had Thomas high last year and he really struggled as a rookie, which I didn't see coming.

I'm certainly not opposed to the Dolphins adding talent on the offensive line. That 's an area that still needs some work.
If we're gonna draft an OL in the first 2 rounds, we should get an unpolished physical specimen with the measurables (including Agility) to grow into a great player. Id rather have that than a lesser athlete closer to his ceiling.

Yeah, OL are a bit odd. Technique is easy to see, which is why guys like Zack Martin looked soo appealing as prospects. And athletic talent is easy to see, which is why guys like Laremy Tunsil looked so good coming out. But the speed of the game and the complexity of both defenses and offenses sometimes makes it tough for guys with the athletic ability to keep such a high rate of technical excellence to grade out as a good OL. That projection is really really hard, and part of the reason why so many OL prospects bust. The job is incredibly physically demanding, but also is one of the very most mentally demanding positions as well. Couple that with needing the vision and experience to read the play as it develops ... it's a lot to process and a lot of instant decisions to be made.

Remember, OL win the vast majority of plays, so a kid winning 70% of the time looks bad because you're seeing him lose 30% of the time ... despite the fact that he usually wins. Some guys can win 90% of the time but are physically overmatched that 10% of the time because they lack power or lateral quickness. Those guys require help, which takes away from what an OC can do, and puts more pressure on the other OL to win. Then there are the guys who have the physical ability, but haven't quite shown mastery of the technique, and everyone is _hoping_ they can learn the technique and apply it at the next level ... those are usually the guys that bust most often.

Since the job requires soooo much mental work and technique, its sometimes a progression, such as smaller school phenoms like Billy Turner who take several years to become a decent OL ... and by the time they do, they're a FA and not worth the cost. Teams that draft them are simply volunteering to become farm clubs for real franchises in FA. That's why I like the New England approach to OL. Spend little, have lots of turnover, but aim for getting an average to above average OL of limited athletes who can produce immediately. It means you're unit will not be unaffordable to re-sign in FA, and it means you'll be getting satisfactory role player production at all times. Look for durable guys and keep a deep roster of average players with average to above average physical traits, but don't splurge on the phenoms because you'll lose salary cap when they're injured or being developed, and when they become FA's they break your salary cap or leave. Very solid approach, IMHO. Extremely efficient for the salary cap. It allows you to have a decent run game running against pass defenses, and a decent passing game passing against run defenses. If you have a good QB, he can thrive. Tua's mobility should enable us to do that in Miami, and invest big draft picks and salary cap to WR's, DE's, CB's, and other premier positions. While Tua is on his rookie contract, we have a window to excel.

Evaluating OL is tough. IMHO, I'd rather build with Austin Jackson as our LT and add a 2nd rounder or two at RT and C and groom this group to excel. If we can't have a solid to good OL with that investment (1st in Jackon, 2nd in Hunt, 2nd this year for a RT), then we're simply wasting our picks. Kindley was a mid round (4th) pick, and we have 2 FA's one making peanuts (Karras) and one making serious starter money (Flowers), so we've invested a lot already. The time is now for investing in a target for Tua and some defensive cornerstones (edge rusher if one can be found).
Did Billy Turner look like a good tackle to you in that NFC Championship game? I bet Aaron Rogers would punch you if you said to him that Billy Turner is a good tackle.

Offensive linemen are always so hard to scout IMO. As a fan, I don't know if they are assignment sound, as an example. But you can see power and movement.

I love reading about those linemen with the killer instinct, who never quit and wear a defensive down. Last year that was Kindley. That's Sewell's scouting report as well.

Slater is said to be more technically sound. I think both will be good, maybe great players.

I also had Thomas high last year and he really struggled as a rookie, which I didn't see coming.

I'm certainly not opposed to the Dolphins adding talent on the offensive line. That 's an area that still needs some work.

The posters here can say what they like about this article, but his take on our OL was dead on. The question for me isn't " will the OL improve this year? "; but "how much will they improve with whom we've got playing for us now vs. how much better then that will we be this year and in the future if we add an early pick to the front line this draft".

I am satisfied enough with the operation of the front office and the coaching staff to ride with the choices they make this draft. I feel they have earned it.

My general preference is to trade down from #3 and, depending on the circumstances, consider trading down from #18, as long as those two trade get 1st round replacements plus one or more lower round draft selections in each trade that's made.

I take that view because I feel that as well as we did last year over the previous year, we still need to keep making huge improvements for this year and next year to reach a level where we are focused more on maintenance & development over growth & development.

I know one thing for sure.

After the draft, this board will be whining a lot about what ever was done before giving coaches training camp to determine the real NFL value of whom they selected. Too bad.

There is a strong case for the following teams either needing, wanting to upgrade, or may want to get the next QB in the system. Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, Carolina, and Denver. No way can you make a statement that we are not moving down period.

Detroit probably wants to fall in love with Goff. Atlanta would be content with whatever qb lands on their lap in the 1st round. You can make a strong case for phily, but they have the 6th pick in the draft. Carolina, and Denver don't want to give the capital that Detroit can.

I trade down from 3 , but keep 18 . Too much talent is going to slide this yr. We have the bonus of coaching the senior bowl. This is a huge advantage with our picks nobody seems to know.

Detroit probably wants to fall in love with Goff. Atlanta would be content with whatever qb lands on their lap in the 1st round. You can make a strong case for phily, but they have the 6th pick in the draft. Carolina, and Denver don't want to give the capital that Detroit can.
I think Detroit trades Goff. He does not seem to be a player that their coach would love. Goff in NE ? Carolina? San Franciso? All are cheaper as far as draft choices with a proven record and a reasonable salary for a team wanting to win now. Detroit is in a total rebuild mode. I can see Campbell loving Fields for his running ability and overall stud athletic build.

The posters here can say what they like about this article, but his take on our OL was dead on. The question for me isn't " will the OL improve this year? "; but "how much will they improve with whom we've got playing for us now vs. how much better then that will we be this year and in the future if we add an early pick to the front line this draft".

I am satisfied enough with the operation of the front office and the coaching staff to ride with the choices they make this draft. I feel they have earned it.

My general preference is to trade down from #3 and, depending on the circumstances, consider trading down from #18, as long as those two trade get 1st round replacements plus one or more lower round draft selections in each trade that's made.

I take that view because I feel that as well as we did last year over the previous year, we still need to keep making huge improvements for this year and next year to reach a level where we are focused more on maintenance & development over growth & development.

I know one thing for sure.

After the draft, this board will be whining a lot about what ever was done before giving coaches training camp to determine the real NFL value of whom they selected. Too bad.
Agree. Miami's rebuild is going nicely, but there's still work to be done.

I think the Dolphins need another good offensive lineman, maybe two. Teams still win in the trenches. Perhaps the Dolphins add one in free agency.

I do believe the depth on the offensive line in the draft will leave some good talent available in round two.

Back
Top Bottom