This Is How The Dolphins Plan To Tank This Year | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Is How The Dolphins Plan To Tank This Year

SMH. Of course the players and new coaching staff will try and win every game. However, the roster will be blown up, no high price free agents will be signed, high priced players who aren't part of our future will be cut. We won't be signing teddy Bridgewater, or Nick foles and will likely roll with a QB on our roster right now. The org will try and fill holes, along both lines probably as a priority, and the roster will be talent deficient in many areas as it is rebuilt over the next 2-3 years including this year at the QB position.

But, the players and coaches will try and win every game they play in, they just will likely be talent deficient enough to lose more games than we did last year and hopefully that will result in us being able to be in a position to draft a franchise QB without having to mortgage the farm to get trade up because we will be drafting very high. This is the plan that seems to be coming out of those that have sources close to the organization. Maybe it won't happen, but I hope it does because that's the only way we will be able to break this horrific 20 year cycle of mediocrity, and that's to hit on a franchise QB in the draft.

Save your SMH for the TankGate nuts

Although you pretty much mimic'd my thought process on how the team will proceed going forward. I'm ribbing the fans that think our new playbook will have plays called TankRun left but block right or have the hot receiver waving their hand while running his route. Or starting all the 2nd and third stringers.

Most fans think the Colts Tanked the entire season to get Luck. Once a team reaches the 10 game mark they possibly can get away (like they did) with starting the second stringer etc but it's not going down like a lot of fans think.

You haven't seen who they will cut yet, and again, I ask you, where's our franchise QB? Who are we going to start there next year?
Don't care who starts next year. I'm looking beyond next year.

If you are in favor of trying to field a playoff team, you are probably going to be disappointed.

I understand the risks of going all in on a rookie QB, but I think that is the right approach.

Don't care who starts next year. I'm looking beyond next year.

If you are in favor of trying to field a playoff team, you are probably going to be disappointed.

I understand the risks of going all in on a rookie QB, but I think that is the right approach.

I think we are in agreement about the correct approach being to blow up the roster and build through the draft over a period of years, where I disagree with you is when you say that we aren't as talent deficient as I think we are. I don't see all of this elite talent that you seem to, in fact we have some pretty enormous gaps and will even more after cuts in some pretty important positions.

Question what if the coaching staff even with the apparent lack of talent pulls off some wins?

Question what if the coaching staff even with the apparent lack of talent pulls off some wins?

Unless they trade all of their 2019 draft picks for 2020 draft picks and start Osweiler for 16 games they are going to win some games.

That would be such a Dolphins thing to do! LOL It's my biggest fear...

I think we are in agreement about the correct approach being to blow up the roster and build through the draft over a period of years, where I disagree with you is when you say that we aren't as talent deficient as I think we are. I don't see all of this elite talent that you seem to, in fact we have some pretty enormous gaps and will even more after cuts in some pretty important positions.
I never used the word "elite". No team has elite players throughout the roster.

I think we have some guys that are above average. Some that haven't hit their ceiling.

Nobody thinks this is a playoff team.

I saw where someone in Vegas put the win total on the Finz at 3. So I'm pretty sure they think a tank or shitty season is coming (whatever you non-believers want to call it). What we do at QB in the offseason will tell everyone exactly what the front office is thinking. I'm hoping for a Luke Falk season to be honest. Let's rip this bandaid off now. Get Tua and lead this division for the next 15 years.

Tanking won't be easy and is no sure thing. After the Jets purged their roster in 2017 and rolled with nobody they were supposed to be the worst team of all time. Then McCowen started to play decent for once and ruined everything. They still got Darnold but had to trade up to get him, and Mayfield looks a hell of a lot better to me

Some tend to throw 'elite' around. I'll not give my talent sermon, but it seems 3-5 is the number of elite (All-Pro) the average team has. (Yes, some have more). Miami doesn't have 3, but it's not unreasonable to anticipate Fitz, Tunsil, and X. I think Wilson and Drake could be if used properly. Noonethess, I don't want to get in an 'elite' debate. Let's get rid of the 5 worst starters and go from there.

Unless they trade all of their 2019 draft picks for 2020 draft picks and start Osweiler for 16 games they are going to win some games.
As long as those wins are against the Jets. 2-14 with Gase losing twice would be my dream scenario.

We're all talking about tanking. Would it surprise anyone if we managed 6+ wins next season?

Tanking: the losers mentality. The "I-Have-No-Clue-I-Give-Up" mentality crowd.

By all measures we were an 8-8 team last year - with all the shitty QBing and all the shitty coaching and our injuries. With our injuries and shitty coaching but with better QBing we would have been a 9-7 maybe 10-6 team. We had a total of 8 or 9 games of not just mediocre QB play but outright crap **** between Osweiler and Tannehill.
If you put a QB on that team who gives you mediocre play we will win 1/3 of these games. And I am only talking about offense. You give us some better coaching on O and D and the same mediocre roster from last year would make a run for a playoff spot.

Forget about the idiocy of tanking in the first place but our roster is not made to tank for anything. You have to purge offense and defense. Wilson, Grant, Stills, possibly Gore, Drake, Ballage, Amendola (just to name a handful) are not players you tank with. And purging them for a fictional tank will require years to replace. By the time we have another roster which looks decent all our young players come out of age and demand high paying contracts including that coveted 2020 franchise QB. Then what? Dumb them all again?

We already added by subtracting. Bad coaching and bad play calls be gone. QBs gone. Now we added a HC who has never heard of tanking. He comes from an environment of reloading, not rebuilding. Building an NFL roster is not done through tanking. If you are a 1-15 team because you purged your roster of quality players (not just big useless contracts) you are simply a bad team. You will have a roster of which 50% does not cut it. It will take you years to get back to just .500 level.

Building a roster is done through sensible FA pickups, outstanding drafting (which includes superb scouting) and hitting on all cylinders in the late rounds of the draft as well as undrafted FAs and finding talent on other teams trash pile. That's where Flores comes from: "finding players fitting the system"

If you see a QB in a draft you get him. You do everything to get him. Trading up. KC did not suck for Mahomes. They traded. They identified their future QB and despite being 12-4 the year before they traded up from 27 to 10 and got him.

If you purge your roster to tank just to get a QB in the draft you are purging possible talent for that new QB. You leave him exposed with no quality teammates and it will be years to undo that purge.

Maybe I should ask the admins to create a new forum: the "Loser Forum" where we can throw all these garbage post about tanking in.

We're all talking about tanking. Would it surprise anyone if we managed 6+ wins next season?

If I’m happy with the draft I’ll bet the over assuming it’s 3 wins as reported.

Back
Top Bottom