This is what baffles me about Saban | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what baffles me about Saban

enigmatics

Go get me a juice box!
Reaction score
Profootballtalk.com said:
We're having a hard time reconciling the Nicktator's willingness to kill the fatted calf for RB Ricky Williams with this comment from the Fins head coach comparing a football team to a Christmas tree with a bad bulb: ''That one light messes up the entire tree. That's the way a football team is. If one light is out, it affects the entire tree.''

.............. truly, baffles my mind. Nick Saban makes comments like this and yet is somewhat near a decision to bring back the biggest of defecting defective light bulbs this franchise has ever plugged into it's Christmas tree decor.

I was actually a Bates guy, but as time has gone on, I've loved everything Saban has done with the team thus far..........until this. Anyone else a little at a loss, especially when this ballclub is in dire need of a fresh, clean slate?

evidently

hes heard what he had to from ricky and knows he can control him... whats the worst thing that can happen, he comes back, isnt in good football shape, and rides the pine behind Brown and Gordon? Saban knows what hes doing, and quite frankly, none of us know anything about the Ricky situation more that mere speculation... the franchise is in saban's hands, let him be

Cecil Collins was by far a much worse bulb.

AS psyched as I am about the prospect of RW and RB running the ball (which I know you and I disagree completely on) it is a little odd that Saban is going to bring him back. Some folks are glad...and then, some are not.

FakeSpike13 said:
hes heard what he had to from ricky and knows he can control him... whats the worst thing that can happen, he comes back, isnt in good football shape, and rides the pine behind Brown and Gordon? Saban knows what hes doing, and quite frankly, none of us know anything about the Ricky situation more that mere speculation... the franchise is in saban's hands, let him be

Do you know how many coaches have probably said that very same thing? And what answers has the past provided us? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

SCall13 said:
Cecil Collins was by far a much worse bulb.

AS psyched as I am about the prospect of RW and RB running the ball (which I know you and I disagree completely on) it is a little odd that Saban is going to bring him back. Some folks are glad...and then, some are not.

On a moral level Cecil was a worse light bulb. Overall, Cecil never brought this franchise to it's knees when he got sent away to cell block #3.

I'm just pointing out that it hasn't matched Saban's initial M.O. when linking up with this franchise.

Calgaryfin said:
Saban lives in the present-not the past or the future. What's confusing about that?

If the light goes out again he'll personally throw it in the trash and Ricky knows it-make no misake!

That's a little bit of a naive perspective to take when considering what exactly transpired last year, don'tcha think? If only it were that simple. That would be like you trusting Wayne to hire Wanny back if that were to come to pass. You'd just say "Hey, Wayne lives in the present, not the past or the future" right?

the thing is, RWs bulb has shined so bright, can it dim so much?

gotta plug it in again and see the brightness, if it is a dud, unplug it

it jsut may be stupid to not screw it in........

the simple concept of the statement is true....all things must be straight to be a well oiled machine...if a piece is defective, replace it..

enigmatics said:
.............. truly, baffles my mind. Nick Saban makes comments like this and yet is somewhat near a decision to bring back the biggest of defecting defective light bulbs this franchise has ever plugged into it's Christmas tree decor.

I was actually a Bates guy, but as time has gone on, I've loved everything Saban has done with the team thus far..........until this. Anyone else a little at a loss, especially when this ballclub is in dire need of a fresh, clean slate?

Personally, I think his ONLY reason to bring him back is for future trade value. If thats even possible, it would be up to RW to prove to the NFL he wants back.

BB

enigmatics said:

Perhaps Saban doesn't share your opinion about the light bulb known as Ricky Williams having a negative effect on the Dolphins Xmas tree decor.
I trust the opinion of Saban way more than that of any outside observer, be they sports writer, fan, whatever, about whether we should or shouldn't bring in players like Ricky Williams, and for that matter Abram Elam.

enigmatics said:

I think you bring up a good point. I support Saban, but no one is above being questioned for their decisions.

That said, I think the analogy is really this: the christmas lights aren't turned on yet, they will turn on once the final roster is set and the season starts. Until then we are just picking out a tree and decorations.

By this I mean that if there are several bad lights on the tree once the season starts, and they start to flicker, then we can call Saban on it. Until then it is really speculation, which is fun but doesn't typically add up to much.

What we do know is that Saban has a way with players that most coaches don't have. I don't know what it is exactly. He seems to relate well with people, he is frank but honest, and it seems he has a high level of emotional intelligence, which often takes you further than your IQ.

enigmatics said:
That's a little bit of a naive perspective to take when considering what exactly transpired last year, don'tcha think? If only it were that simple. That would be like you trusting Wayne to hire Wanny back if that were to come to pass. You'd just say "Hey, Wayne lives in the present, not the past or the future" right?

:rolleyes: That is a rediculous comparison. Ricky showed who he is (unbelievable speed and power) and made 1 mistake (big one though) related to his disability,

on the other hand, Wanny was given 5 years, made 568 mistakes (and we are still discovering more) and never showed the ability to carry the franchise on his shoulders.

Big Difference trusting Saban in the real life situation and trusting wayne if he brought sata....I mean Wanny back.

enigmatics said:

Taking what is posted on PFT was your first mistake...they seem to dislike Saban and anything he does...(look thru all the Fins posts..all are negative posts..)....Besides, these guys are really good at making things up and then speculating on what they have made up....The thing we have to see is production on the field....until that, you and I can question or not question his moves, but can't evaluate them truly until we see the product on the field...just be careful when reading PFT...It seems they post a lot of false info or completely obvious information....

I believe the answer to your quandry is simple. Last year and for 2 years before that Wanny built his ENTIRE franchise around ONE player. At that time both Chambers and McMichael had yet to emerge as true athletes or play makers on the pro level. Think about how STUPID that is to do. I mean c'mon the guy did not have a creative cell in his body. And he was so absolutely out of his depths that he did not even know how to hire offensive personel to help bring in and utilize talent. Instead he used a stylized, boring, ineffective offense and even then Ricky tore it up.

Even if Ricky had the psychology or mental set of players like say Jerry Rice in his prime or even Emmett Smith in his, this move is absolutely STUPID because of injury. It was a setup for disaster and disaster is what we got - thanks Dave!

Nicktator on the other hand will have a team that can and will win without any one or any multitude of players. Ricky flakes out, we got Ronnie, Ronnie goes down, we got Kay-Jay, Kay Jay goes down we got Lamar and so on. The Nicktator has everyone pushing themselves such that no-name players will emerge to create a synergistic process in which any piece is adjustable. Obviously some easier than others, but this is where Belicheck has had SO much success. He probably would not have necessarily been a great coach in the 70's or 80's or even the early 90's, but the guy is a genious for today's salary cap systems.

The days of being a dominant dynasty are over, The Steelers, The 49ers and so on because teams must be solid accross the board. Belicheck uses a system where versatility is valued and playing to his athletes strengths is emphasized. Then winning starts to happen and becomes contagious. He does not have the best offensive line but the system allows for players to have massive success because he plays to there strengths.

This is where the Nicktator will prove his genious as well. So as Arnold once said "Relax, you'll live longer"!

enigmatics said:
Do you know how many coaches have probably said that very same thing? And what answers has the past provided us? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

There is a difference tho, he isnt banking his whole philosophy on Ricky, he is looking at is as Ricky can add to the team ifhe comes back. If not, he wasnt planning for it anyway. He hasnt sunk all his cards on Ricky, he drafted Ronnie and Gordon has talent, plus we have morris who is a decent #3 if need be. Ricky is like a bonus, one that can add to the pot, but is not a huge loss if he doesnt play.

Back
Top Bottom