This is what Saban Should Do! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what Saban Should Do!

Bjorn

Go Giants
Reaction score
IMO. I think he should line up a long term contract with Surtain; not have him sign it but just O.K. it; one that would lessen the cap hit for the coming season. Give him his signing bonus that he wants. Then that will show teams that hey were willing to keep this kid, he's a pro bowl corner and if you don't pay up you better not be playing us in the future because we are going to rip apart your recievers. Just my opinion what to you all think.

I think its a damn good idea the worst that can happen is we end up keeping a very solid corner, as long as he isnt asking for a crazy amount of money but he should get what he is worth

You dont think Surtain would be annoyed that we agree to a contract with him but wont let him sign it? Does that even make sense?

b_hjelmeland123 said:
IMO. I think he should line up a long term contract with Surtain; not have him sign it but just O.K. it; one that would lessen the cap hit for the coming season. Give him his signing bonus that he wants. Then that will show teams that hey were willing to keep this kid, he's a pro bowl corner and if you don't pay up you better not be playing us in the future because we are going to rip apart your recievers. Just my opinion what to you all think.

My guess is that IF they could come up with an agreement, then there wouldn't be any reason to let him shop around ?? The problem is that they could not agree on a long-term deal with Surtain and that is exactly why he is on the block now...

I think we could sign him to a long term deal because that would soften the cap hit for next season. Sure Saban would have to do some moving around with players. I don't know that I exactly agree with it but maybe backload his contract then trade him in the future or cut him when he starts to show signs of ageing.

If we sign him to a long-term, that could help are cap quite a bit.

I don't think it would be too difficult.

b_hjelmeland123 said:
I think we could sign him to a long term deal because that would soften the cap hit for next season. Sure Saban would have to do some moving around with players. I don't know that I exactly agree with it but maybe backload his contract then trade him in the future or cut him when he starts to show signs of ageing.

But no player is going to backload his contract so far in the future that he will never be able to realize the big earning years. He knows he would get cut before that time came. Players want the money during their promes, when people will keep them because of their talent, despite the cap damage.

We can renegotiate his contract and extend it. Maybe give him more money in incentives so its not guaranteed but he can still get it. I think if we want to keep Surtain we can do it, Saban just wants to aquire more picks.

Back
Top Bottom