This season is a bust | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This season is a bust

I am only saying this based on experience of having followed the draft for 25 or so years...beware of fast risers.
Burrow could be a savior- or he could be Ryan Leaf. There is no way to know. We can't stick our heads in the sand and cry because we won't get him.
But this first round has serious studs- if you watch college football, there are some serious players there for the taking. Simmons from Clemson, Brown DT Auburn wrecks people, Delpit S LSU...A couple of awesome centers maybe late in the first. I watched the Wisconsin center maul Minnesota on Saturday, he looked like the real deal.
I do appreciate people being torn on this subject of drafting high, but I really think this QB class that looked like a historic one pre-season has really pooped out. We need to draft a QB that fits what we do, but it may not happen right away.
Though I have a feeling that Herbert will be the pick, maybe after a trade down of our top pick. That's just a hunch, not a prediction or a wish.

"We need to draft a QB that fits what we do..."

Bingo. We need to find a QB that matches the system that we want to run, which... at this point, isn't completely clear, and I think this is what leads to so many debates here.

My take is this:
We've focused on finding big targets for our QB and diminished the role that the smaller receivers play in our passing game, and to me... this suggests that we are not looking to build a run/pass option offense as that offense relies more on quickness than size. I also think that this suggests that the pure run first QBs like Hurts are not on our radar either. (No, I'm not swearing to any of this... just spit-balling)

I'm left with the idea that Flores is going to make a move for a large, big armed QB and a large one-cut RB, so I've spent most of my time trying to identify which players from the 2020 group fit this model. (No, I don't think Tua fits this model).

I too think that Herbert (and Eason) are the type of QBs that we are looking for. Now, to be clear, my analysis is coloured by the fact that these are the types of QBs that I prefer, so take my guesses with a large chunk of salt, but back to the large target WRs... Many posters here were stunned when we signed Hurns, and even moreso when we extended him. I think it was a clue, and a big one, which way we were heading. Signing a large bodied slot said we are gonna beat you, not we are gonna try to finesse you.

Hurns, Preston WIlliams, Parker, all big bodies.
The extension of Jakeem must have been more for returns than anything, if this is the case- though it doesn't hurt to have someone with that kind of speed on your team.
A thicker WR I like who could be added in the later rounds is that Duvernay from Texas #6. He plays hard, and has really produced since being pushed to the slot.

One understated drawback of tanking, or even the appearance of it, could be seen and heard during yesterday's home game. The crowd was probably 50/50 Eagles to Fins fans, with the Eagles fans being much much louder....That is one critical thing that you lose trying these Madden stunts of sucking to get a better probability of a dice roll. It is disgraceful being booed in your own stadium, but even more disgraceful because we were booed by opposing fans in our own stadium.

Alot of that changes when the team gets better, but this is the **** that happens when Miami beat writers blog about whatever pops in their head concerning 2020 drafts

"We need to draft a QB that fits what we do..."

Bingo. We need to find a QB that matches the system that we want to run, which... at this point, isn't completely clear, and I think this is what leads to so many debates here.

My take is this:
We've focused on finding big targets for our QB and diminished the role that the smaller receivers play in our passing game, and to me... this suggests that we are not looking to build a run/pass option offense as that offense relies more on quickness than size. I also think that this suggests that the pure run first QBs like Hurts are not on our radar either. (No, I'm not swearing to any of this... just spit-balling)

I'm left with the idea that Flores is going to make a move for a large, big armed QB and a large one-cut RB, so I've spent most of my time trying to identify which players from the 2020 group fit this model. (No, I don't think Tua fits this model).

I too think that Herbert (and Eason) are the type of QBs that we are looking for. Now, to be clear, my analysis is coloured by the fact that these are the types of QBs that I prefer, so take my guesses with a large chunk of salt, but back to the large target WRs... Many posters here were stunned when we signed Hurns, and even moreso when we extended him. I think it was a clue, and a big one, which way we were heading. Signing a large bodied slot said we are gonna beat you, not we are gonna try to finesse you.

I'm not sure Flo prefers any 'type' of QB, but I'll add my thoughts.
He wants a QB who is agile in the pocket.
He wants a QB who is mentally quick and a film room addict. The 'reckless' need not allpy

I'm not sure Flo prefers any 'type' of QB, but I'll add my thoughts.
He wants a QB who is agile in the pocket.
He wants a QB who is mentally quick and a film room addict. The 'reckless' need not allpy
Flo has no history of QB "preference", but BB, and Parcels before him, seemed to prefer the prototype guys, 6'2"+ 220lbs+.

Flo has no history of QB "preference", but BB, and Parcels before him, seemed to prefer the prototype guys, 6'2"+ 220lbs+.

are you talking about his taking shots at the draft or guys he wAs actually into?

Jimmy G - 6’2

Brady 6’4+

Drew Bledsoe 6’5+

are you talking about his taking shots at the draft or guys he wAs actually into?

Jimmy G - 6’2

Brady 6’4+

Drew Bledsoe 6’5+
Not sure what you are asking.

The guys Parcels, and BB chose to develop, were primarily of prototypical size. Not many 6' maybes, or 190 pounders.

Besides those you listed, Hostetler, Bledsoe, Simms, were all tall, strapping guys.

Don't disagree/ By "type," I was contrasting Marino-type to LJ-type.

I have been a fan since the early 70's and I keep hoping that we will eventually get this right but at this rate it won't be in my lifetime.
1. We have a roster that would make the XFL blush, we have cut, traded or put on IR anyone that could possibly help us win, yet here we are with 3 wins and potentially 3 more. Get it through your heads these wins are meaningless! At some point you have to have playmakers. Picking in the middle of the draft will not get you that.
2. Pitt, Houston and NO keep winning. Pitt is particularly bothersome as they were 0-3 when we did the deal. They are now looking at a WC. Again we will be picking late in the 1st. Grier has picked guys like Harris, Misi, Odrick, etc... Not his sweet spot.
3. We knew that signing Fitzpatrick would get us a few cheap wins. But we have made no attempt to trot out Rosen. I get that nobody wants to mess with a good thing but why even trade for the guy? Yes in my mind we could have lost games but gotten Rosen experience. A win win especially when we were thought to be rebuilding anyways. I knew signing this idiot would only hurt us long term.
4. There were two QB's in this draft that look like they can play at this level without a lot of development. We had a chance to have our pick. But as our luck would have it Tua may never be right and Burrow will be gone.

So in a nutshell we suck even more than usual.
We will win more games to keep us from not only a Burrow or Young but a scenario where we have to use draft capital just to sniff a gimpy Tua or a shaky Herbert.
The other teams will keep winning, be playoff contenders and render these picks as meh.
Last but not least everyone likes to talk about McKenzies skill in the FO but as of now there are only 6 players left on the Raiders that he brought in so don't know how excited I am about him.

Out of curiosity, who are you addressing with the “get it through your heads” bit? And if it’s not Brian Flores...what do you want those people to do? Stomp around in an angry circle whenever the team wins?

This will be my one and only contributing to this useless thread. If you can't find a positive from finding a coach that can produce a competitive product from the roster he's been dealt..... then there is zero hope for you. I couldn't be more excited for next season. Flo is legit and that is the piece we've been missing more than anything.
I agree with your post except one thing:
It is not a roster Flores was dealt. It is Flores' roster. Grier does not just do stuff without talking to Flores beforehand. :cheers:;)

The O has playmakers. What they need is OL
Right!!!!! Can you imagine the passing game if our QB actually had some additional time to throw, and we could get a running game going? We'd be averaging 30 points a game, easy!

Out of curiosity, who are you addressing with the “get it through your heads” bit? And if it’s not Brian Flores...what do you want those people to do? Stomp around in an angry circle whenever the team wins?
These wins don't mean dick. Just push us down further on the food chain. I am shocked that a roster this stripped of talent will probably not draft in the top 5. I only remember playoff years, who can remember one mediocre 7-9 season from the next? I mean no one wants to suck for long but one completely shitty yr to get what we want talent wise as opposed to throwing another crappy losing season on the pile? Would it have been that bad? Every coach that finishes above us should be fired. What was their excuse? Well we do have a nice staff it seems like so their is a huge piece to the puzzle. Now find a QB and hope Grier starts doing something he is not good at and that is draft well.

These wins don't mean dick. Just push us down further on the food chain. I am shocked that a roster this stripped of talent will probably not draft in the top 5. I only remember playoff years, who can remember one mediocre 7-9 season from the next? I mean no one wants to suck for long but one completely ****ty yr to get what we want talent wise as opposed to throwing another crappy losing season on the pile? Would it have been that bad? Every coach that finishes above us should be fired. What was their excuse? Well we do have a nice staff it seems like so their is a huge piece to the puzzle. Now find a QB and hope Grier starts doing something he is not good at and that is draft well.
Howbout we let the season play out. I’m one loving the wins and see positive direction for a change. This season has been much different than any I can remember...as bad as we are I feel we’re still better than we have been in a long, long time.

Its gonna be a blast this off season...

And I hope we kick the jets ass this weekend...go fins!

Back
Top Bottom