This will be a "Best Player Available" draft.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This will be a "Best Player Available" draft..

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Why? Because if you may remember Mueller said it would be. If you recall when asked about the draft and selecting based on need he referred to the Dolphins getting into trouble doing that in the past.
With that in mind, when you put a mock draft together think about how Miami will select players. They will likely go with the highest rated player on their board. With that in mind you have to wonder what positions will be addressed. You figure speed, you figure at least one OL, and you figure a QB. But remember, Mueller himself has said he will not draft based on need.

Lee2000

I think it's going to be best player available because we need help at every position except running back.

I hope so, because i hate it when the fins picking players merely for need and end up with busts like fletcher, moore, ...! But i´m pretty confident in the ability of Cameron and Randy to bring the fins in a good shape through the draft!

I think Meuller has 2-4 positions as top tier needs. He'll fill those position based on the grades he assigned during his scouting/interviewing process. The other postion will be filled in much the same way.

The top tier I believe are (in no particular order) LT, DT, QB, WR.

I think Meuller has 2-4 positions as top tier needs. He'll fill those position based on the grades he assigned during his scouting/interviewing process. The other postion will be filled in much the same way.

I would replace DT with a C or G

I think the list is shorter the other way, positions we are set at!! If the thought is to draft the best available player regardless of position than we really can't lose but, it will be several years of rebuilding before we can compete. I don't think Zack and JT can wait that long!?:(

Why? Because if you may remember Mueller said it would be. If you recall when asked about the draft and selecting based on need he referred to the Dolphins getting into trouble doing that in the past.
With that in mind, when you put a mock draft together think about how Miami will select players. They will likely go with the highest rated player on their board. With that in mind you have to wonder what positions will be addressed. You figure speed, you figure at least one OL, and you figure a QB. But remember, Mueller himself has said he will not draft based on need.

Lee2000

This is only true to a point, just as is any notion. Notice they said this, but also have said other things too. Its called politics and covering all your bases. I think MuellCam are trying to be as honest as they can be with us.

With that said, it is obvious that our Oline is being left off the FA market for a reason. We will build our Oline through the draft. WE will get a QB. We will have to score on our first four picks to have an impact (he also said this). So you are right about this, but to a point.

If you rank say like i do (hypothetically players who could be there at 9)

1.Quinn
2.Landry
3.Okoye
4. Brown

But we end up taking Brown when Landry is still on the board and Okoye because LT has higher value according to supply and demand markets (same with QB except moreso), then you take Brown because he fills a bigtime need and it works according to plan of drafting OL instead of through FA.

I think TE is a big deal for us. you better believe they are looking for a TE who can take Mcmicheals spot. Martin is not being looked at as THE answere although he certainly has the potential.

They have to justify that move since it was a costly one draft pick wise. Alot of people would disagree, but I think TE is a bigger need than WR in this draft.

I wouldn't over look a Corner....the Dolphins secondary got beat like a drum time after time last season....so L. Hall would look like a good selection at the 9th pick.

Really if you think about it, there isn't a position out there that isn't a need for the Dolphins, including running back. RB is a good running back but RW is and will always remain a big ??? as long as he is a Dolphin. All of the reserves are all untried and unproven so they remain a big ??? Will the Dolphins take a running back if a player with high value falls in our lap?

There should be no defensive tackles taken in the 1st 3 rounds of this draft. It would be ridiculous. They have a ton of depth inside. Holliday, Traylor, Rod Wright, Manny Wright, and Evans. Give these young guys a shot. Rod Wright would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't get hurt. Manny Wright most likely would have been too if he didn't enter the supplemental draft.

There should be no defensive tackles taken in the 1st 3 rounds of this draft. It would be ridiculous. They have a ton of depth inside. Holliday, Traylor, Rod Wright, Manny Wright, and Evans. Give these young guys a shot. Rod Wright would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't get hurt. Manny Wright most likely would have been too if he didn't enter the supplemental draft.

I believe it was the great Vanilla Ice that said it best, "Word to your mother".

Miami has talent, but they are not so talented that they can afford to let a better player slip by them. I trust that Mueller & Cam understand that while the Dolphins can be improved in one year, they can't be "cured." So don't panic to fill a need, stick to your guns and get the best possible player with every pick.

I would rather have a stud QB or LT in round one given the choice, but I'll take a future pro-bowler at any position if that's how they feel the prospects sorted out. In the long term, we'll be a better team for it. But it does require patience.

Miami has talent, but they are not so talented that they can afford to let a better player slip by them. I trust that Mueller & Cam understand that while the Dolphins can be improved in one year, they can't be "cured." So don't panic to fill a need, stick to your guns and get the best possible player with every pick.

I would rather have a stud QB or LT in round one given the choice, but I'll take a future pro-bowler at any position if that's how they feel the prospects sorted out. In the long term, we'll be a better team for it. But it does require patience.

Yeah this is true Myles and I hope our FO is thinking the same way.

Back
Top Bottom