this would have been tannehill's breakout season | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this would have been tannehill's breakout season

Instead it's simply thought that Tannehill "would be one of the best QBs in the league with a better offensive line," when that isn't necessarily the case.

This has already been pointed out to you in another thread BY ME. Simply look at his performance with an "intact" mediocre OL.

Please don't become of of those posters that raises and issue, gets it answered, acknowledges the answer, then simply raises the same issue in another thread. We have enough of those posters already.

Holy cow - I did not mean to cause a stir up here. Let me rephrase what I meant. I think Ryan is a very good QB who became good in that Raiders game in London and didn't look back. I also think last year was the type of year (throw out the first 4 games) that he will continue to have the rest of his career. A very good QB but not Rodgers, Brady etc etc. He can win us a SB just like Flacco did w Baltimore or Eli w the Giants etc. I'm just tired of hearing "this year is make or break" for him etc - I don't buy that. I'd argue he's already "there". He has some deficiencies and he may not have the "it" factor that some people state. But, he does have a different kind of "it" - he takes care of the ball and he can manage a game for 4 quarters. He wouldn't melt down and forget to run the clock or take idiotic sacks like Matt Ryan did in critical situations to blow the SB. He has high football IQ. All I was trying to say was can we please stop w the make or break, or this was his breakout year and that yes, he's a good QB and bring us a championship. Youzzzaaaa....

POST OF THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least he's a better coach than Philbin was.

Philbin ruined any development that Tannehill should have had.

Doesn't take back the fact of what I posted earlier in the thread.

I love watching these so-called experts trying to square this circle that both Dalton and Lewis are terrible...

PHILBIN IS A BAD COACH!!

HE STUNTED TANNEHILL!!!

Did Lewis stunt Dalton's growth? Or get the absolute most out of him?

THE RECORD!!

Well Lewis' record is 118-105-3. With Dalton its 58-38.

OLINE!!!!!!!!!!

The Bengals had one of the best o-lines in football for a few seasons at least.

TALENT DEVELOPMENT!!!!!

The Bengals, outside of the QB position, had one of the most talented rosters in the league.

You can go on and on but one of his biggest accolades (and curses) is the fact that his staff keeps getting poached for promotions. He begged Hue Jackson to stay on one more year promising to retire giving Jackson his job.

With all that said him being fired sooner than later was as predictable as the sun coming up. Because sustained success with a QB of Dalton's level is an impossibility.

OMG. Stop this. Just watch the ****ing game.

I'll say it once again -- if "just watching the game" did the trick, then everyone who watches the game would agree on what they're seeing.

Why isn't everyone agreeing?

Did you not watch the latter part of last season when the offense finally gelled under the new system?

I'd argue that Tannehill broke out and proved himself in '14, his 3rd year.

There's the rub, however. The gelling in 2016 was remarkably similar to the gelling in 2014, including Tannehill's individual performance in both seasons.

And we don't have 2017 to discount Tannehill's decrease in performance in 2015 as attributable to some other factor.

Consequently we're back to an unfalsifiable position, that "he would've been X in the future."

Please find me any QB who has been playing in the league for a number of years and has had a steady upward trajectory from their rookie year with no downward seasons. I'm guessing you will not find one. So, once again, intentional or not, you are holding Tannehill to a fictitious unattainable standard.

I'm not saying a completely upward trajectory is required as proof of a QB's greatness. I'm saying that Tannehill's ups and downs happen, on average, at a level much lower than those of the best QBs in the league.

Last edited:
This has already been pointed out to you in another thread BY ME. Simply look at his performance with an "intact" mediocre OL.

The problem with that finding, however -- and I've alluded to it throughout the thread in different ways -- is that we're looking at Tannehill in isolation with regard to the health of his offensive line, rather than comparing him to the other QBs in the league in terms of the health or quality of their offensive lines.

If the better QBs in the league would play (hypothetically) much better than Tannehill with both the injured and the non-injured Dolphins' lines from 2013 to 2016, what would that say about Tannehill?

I'll say it once again -- if "just watching the game" did the trick, then everyone who watches the game would agree on what they're seeing.

Why isn't everyone agreeing?

Not this again.

Here's why. What do you claim to see here? Describe this play: Is it play action or an RPO? the offensive and defensive concepts: what's the personnel, formation, alignment, coverage? along with player assignments and responsibilities: What's the line set, whose responsible for whom, etc.

Last edited:
If anybody needs to see average QB talent, watch Andy Dalton.

Dalton is another guy who functions at the average level as a norm, but who is capable of a very good season when the quality of his surroundings facilitates it. His 2015 season is an example.

I'd argue, however, that this is where Tannehill lies, as well. The difficulty is in trying to amass those sorts of highly beneficial surroundings year after year, in the age of lots of injuries and the salary cap.

Not this again.

Here's why. What do you claim to see here? Describe this play: Is it play action or an RPO? the offensive and defensive concepts: what's the personnel, formation, alignment, coverage? along with player assignments and responsibilities: What's the line set, whose responsible for whom, etc.

Does the guy who said "just watch the ****ing game!" have to know all that too? Why aren't we finding out whether he knows all those things too?

Dalton is another guy who functions at the average level as a norm, but who is capable of a very good season when the quality of his surroundings facilitates it. His 2015 season is an example.

I'd argue, however, that this is where Tannehill lies, as well. The difficulty is in trying to amass those sorts of highly beneficial surroundings year after year, in the age of lots of injuries and the salary cap.

Welcome to the NFL????

Or is your "simple" solution to just get an elite QB?

Does the guy who said "just watch the ****ing game!" have to know all that too? Why aren't we finding out whether he knows all those things too?

Hmm, what's the word I'm looking for here . . .

giphy.gif

Ah yes. Thank you, lady. It's deflection.

Hmm, what's the word I'm looking for here . . .

giphy.gif

Ah yes. Thank you, lady. It's deflection.

Funny, I've asked you several times how we know when someone with lots of football expertise is wrong, and you've never answered that question.

Back
Top Bottom