This year's Will Poole? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This year's Will Poole?

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
Last year, Miami got a first round talent in the fourth round when they drafted Will Poole. Poole fell because of some background issues that threw up red flags about him. Needless to say, Will Poole had a very good rookie season for Miami and has a bright future ahead of him.

This year, there could be another player with first round talent that drops into the Dolphins lap in the third round, but it will be for different reasons.

Keep an eye on where Cory Webster from LSU lands. A year ago, he goes in the first round. A bad senior season where he battled some injuries has caused him to drop. He's a 6'0", 200 lbs cornerback with great speed and coverage skills though. If he's there in the third round, it would be awfully tough for Nick Saban to pass on him, IMO.

It is sounding more and more like the third round could have some real value. I wish we had another pick or 5 in the third or late second.

Thanks for the heads up on Webster, I had never heard of him.

KB21 said:
Last year, Miami got a first round talent in the fourth round when they drafted Will Poole. Poole fell because of some background issues that threw up red flags about him. Needless to say, Will Poole had a very good rookie season for Miami and has a bright future ahead of him.

This year, there could be another player with first round talent that drops into the Dolphins lap in the third round, but it will be for different reasons.

Keep an eye on where Cory Webster from LSU lands. A year ago, he goes in the first round. A bad senior season where he battled some injuries has caused him to drop. He's a 6'0", 200 lbs cornerback with great speed and coverage skills though. If he's there in the third round, it would be awfully tough for Nick Saban to pass on him, IMO.

I've talked about him here back in January....

Ozzy said:
Did you know that one year, draft expert, Mel Kiper got only one of his selections for the first round correct? He said afterwards that he went with too many of the safer picks.

Guess what? The biggest knock on Webster is that he is still just a little raw. His TWO years stats at corner, after switching from Wr, are better than a lot of four year starters. 14 int's and over 40 breakups.

I think this mock is pretty darn good, and FAR from sucking.

Don't forget to keep your mock handy on draft day, so you can tell us all how good you were.

I just don't know man, him falling to the third round would be almost insane. He has had some injuries, but to me, he is the third best Corner in the draft.

Ozzy said:
I've talked about him here back in January....

I just don't know man, him falling to the third round would be almost insane. He has had some injuries, but to me, he is the third best Corner in the draft.

I have him fourth, and I honestly would have had him #1 last year.

I don't think Webster falls to the 4th round, first off. Second, be wary of calling someone the next Will Poole until Will Poole actually does something of substance for the Dolphins.

Will Poole fell because of a combo of his character issues and probably more importantly, when he ran something close to a 4.8 in the 40. He was sick, we all understand. Every team understands. But, they weren't about to draft him higher than the 4th (Miami included) until he ran healthy and ran well.

And watch out for them character issues. As a rule they're a demon seed that has a pret-ty long incubation period. If Poole does well next year, and then in the offseason of 2006 gets arrested and tossed in jail for drunk driving with a possible injury accident, should we act surprised?

My Will Poole choice is Antaaj Hawthorne. I don't know if you were just talking about corners, or about players in general with first round talent who fall because of off-field issues. But if it's the latter, then Hawthorne is the guy I'm going with. In a perfect world, we'd be able to grab him and Greene in round 3 after trading down with Tampa.

ESPN Insider said:
The Thursday confirmations that the former Badgers star was one of four prospects who tested positive for marijuana at the combine two months ago won't help his already-flagging stock. Hawthorne was viewed only a few months ago as the top tackle prospect in the draft. Now he's just about fallen off the radar screen for some teams and might have dropped to the third round.

phunwin said:
My Will Poole choice is Antaaj Hawthorne. I don't know if you were just talking about corners, or about players in general with first round talent who fall because of off-field issues. But if it's the latter, then Hawthorne is the guy I'm going with. In a perfect world, we'd be able to grab him and Greene in round 3 after trading down with Tampa.

Sounds like a guy Tampa would go with regardless. :lol:

Remember, this is the team that signed Darrell Russell last year.

Muck said:
Sounds like a guy Tampa would go with regardless. :lol:

Remember, this is the team that signed Darrell Russell last year.

:lol: Wow, I forgot about Date Rape Darrell.

And, the Bucs did draft Warren Sapp despite reports that he toked up. Obviously, that turned out to their benefit.

Reminds me of that DT from Maryland last year, Randy Starks. Viewed as first round talent, one of the best if not the best DT, yet ended up lasting I believe until the 3rd round.

Saban may be keeping his eye on Hawthorne. But I bet a lot of coaches are...just knowing he should fall because of the mary jane, but a lot of them also probably want to be the first ones to claim him at his newer, lower price.

Hawthorne is one of those guys who you expect a lot more out of when you see him play. He's got a strong tendancy to take plays off.

Back
Top Bottom