Thisclose.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thisclose....

thedayafter

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know 4-12 is ugly... but the following stats may hold a ray of light...

We were outscored 354 to 275 but take a closer look and I think you'll see even with all our difficulties there is reason to be optimistic for 2005.
  • Outscored 354 to 275
  • Opponents rushed for 12 TD's to our 10.
  • Opponents passed for 20 TD's to our 19.
  • Opponents kicked 20 FG's to our 19.
  • 1st QYR points 79/79
  • 2nd QTR Points 59/88
  • 3rd Qtr points 34/95
  • 4th Qtr points 103/92
  • TOP 28.20/31.40
  • Opponents had 10 TD's off INT's/FB we had 2 TD's.
Our opponents only scored 3 TD's and 1 FG more than we did the entire season on offense.

We lost games due to 2 main reasons.
  1. 8 INT's returned for TD's
  2. Outscored 95 to 34 in the third QTR.
I know each season and game stands on it's own and the above are just numbers.... but still... look at those numbers and imagine with a few tweaks here and there we could be very competitive in 2005....

Just think what those numbers would look like if you subtracted the Monday Night game against the Jets.....

Being outscored 95 to 34 in the third quarter shows how badly we were outcoached at half time.

I'd like to see how things were split between Wannstedt's 9 games and Jim Bates's 7 games as head coach.

I think the better feeling comes from taking a look at our stats after Wanny left. We were a totally different team from then on. You take THAT team and improve it with even better coaching and better players and you probably have a 9-7/10-6 team. That's what I'm expecting out of us this year.

The stat i want to see is TOP. Yea all those numbers are close but i'll bet we we're killed in time of possession and that is a HUGE part in winning games. We didnt control the ball.

yeah i remember when bates came in it was the firs ttime we scored a TD in the 3rd quarter, haha

Lazy1 said:
The stat i want to see is TOP. Yea all those numbers are close but i'll bet we we're killed in time of possession and that is a HUGE part in winning games. We didnt control the ball.

TOP was 31.40 for opponents and 28.20 for Dolphins

KB21 said:
Being outscored 95 to 34 in the third quarter shows how badly we were outcoached at half time.

Yep, that's exactly what it was. Wanny obviously had no clue what to say at halftime and it showed when we came out to play for the 3rd.

Jesus Christ!!

I looked up the numbers.

In the 9 games where Dave was the head coach, the Dolphins were outscored in the third quarter 68 to 3.

We actually had a 31 to 27 advantage with Jim Bates as the head coach.

KB21 said:
Jesus Christ!!

I looked up the numbers.

In the 9 games where Dave was the head coach, the Dolphins were outscored in the third quarter 68 to 3.

:roflmao::roflmao: Wow. Doesn't really surprise me though.

KB21 said:
Jesus Christ!!

I looked up the numbers.

Nice work KB... it sure looked ugly... but the numbers are very tight.... if Saban puts on a stout D and our offense is functional we could have a nice turnaround in 2005 if we stay healthy....

Even though we looked pretty bad at times, we were not a 4-12 team. There were games that if you could just take one play away or change just ONE thing, we'd be 7-9 at the WORST.

@ Cincinnati (INT TD) ,
VS. Arizona (There was an INT TD, but I was just thinking the Fitzgerald push off catch TD, and after they called defensive holding on Sam Madison)
@ Seattle (INT TD)

Those are the 3 games that I had in mind. I think we could've easily one those, and that we should've won those. With that being said our record would have been 7-9. Also you can say that the Denver game was another close one that we could've won because we lost by a GOD DAMN 50 yard FG at the end. But the previous 3 games I mentioned, hurt the worst.

But we went 4-12, and I thinkit all happened for the best. Wannstedt is gone. The Saban ERA has begun, and looks to be on the right track. And with our 4 win season we now have Ronnie Brown because of it. Last season was tough and in order to enjoy the good times, you have to get through the bad and we all did. I believe we have plenty of good times ahead of us. I think everything will work out for the best. :)

Yeah, good work. Informative stats. Sheds some light on what good coaching might be able to change for us. I knew we were bad in the third quarter, but WOW.

KB21 said:
Jesus Christ!!

I looked up the numbers.

WOW, that's a staggering stat...geez, soooo glad to see Wanny outta here..

You know what..I'm usually the 1st one to say.."Bro, just shut it up! We sucked and that's all!" BUT...this is actually not a bad post AT ALL! How'd you come up with those stats?? I hope you didn't sit there and add it all up. Either way..It's a good point. It's true. How many games did we lose this year by a touchdown or less? -And of those same games...How many times did we either cough up the lead, or just fail to get the winning score in the last minute or so?? A bunch of very close games right to the end. WE're not nearly as far away from being our usual dominant selves as Everyone in the WORLD seems to think. It's just Us against the World!!

Back
Top Bottom