Thought I'd share this/Saints ruin Dolphins draft plans | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thought I'd share this/Saints ruin Dolphins draft plans

it was the receicer Aiyuk, we wanted not Ruiz. and time will tell on how it works out

Hey I don't know if we got all our picks right and opinions of many of the true draftniks I like to follow have opinions all over the place from really good to not so good except for Tua and they all agree we did good. That being said I feel confident that Flores and Grier were all in on these picks. I say this because as soon as our time came to pick there was no hesitation. As soon as the team in front of us made their pick our pick was in. So there was a plan, a backup plan and another backup plan without hesitation as there should be. Plus I will add do not under estimate the influence that Billicheat had on Flores and thus our draft this year. Billicheat accumulates picks very well but he has some boring drafts and a fair portion of those picks don't make the grade.

I hate to break it to you guys but Ireland discovered Taysom Hill

2249506980_6364e72844.jpg

We drafted who we drafted. All we can do is move forward and hope for the best.
This is basically my attitude. Every draft we have players that I really want at certain spots, and it is rare that we actually draft them. This year we got two of my guys in Tua and Weaver.

I can go down the list of how I would have drafted, but with Flores on board we actually have someone involved that I trust.

I went into this draft with 1 rule. I will accept whatever we do as long as we don't draft Herbert over Tua. Mission accomplished!

I hate to break it to you guys but Ireland discovered Taysom Hill

No, actually he didn't 'discover' Taysom Hill. Lots of teams were very aware of who he was. And Green Bay actually signed him as an UDFA first.

Furthermore, what has Taysom Hill -- who turns 30 years old in a few months btw -- accomplished thus far in his career to be touting Jeff Ireland for signing him off the waiver wire?

Riddle me that.

It's plainly obvious that many times players we should have drafted were picked up right before our pick. It's why almost every guy after Tua was considered a reach. I don't grade the FO that highly on this draft, them seem like amateurs who got outmaneuvered by real pros.

And your evaluation of who "we" should have drafted is valid because??

And who are the "real pros"? Jeff Ireland?? The guy everyone said was an amateur too during his time in MIA?

Truth is, fans get married to certain players they like or have read about then get upset when their team doesn't draft them. Then make snap judgements proclaiming the players they did draft as busts or wrong moves even though none of that has begun to play out yet.

Well done.

Like who?

The players HE wanted. And that other teams drafted instead.

I'll bet anything, like a large number of the other complainers, he rarely if ever saw any of the players (outside Tua) the Dolphins drafted other than highlight packages or an occasional game during their careers. Yet he's convinced he knows all about them.

I've been frequenting this board for damned near 20 years. There's probably less than a dozen regular members that really do deep dive player analysis on college prospects. And even the ones that do are far from being right all the time. But at least they are highly educated on the subject. And most of them don't go on tirades stating that they knew better right after the draft.

Talking heads with their mocks tell you a player should go at a certain spot......so you are convinced the dolphin's FO is clueless.

This is so very true. Weekend warrior fans fall into the trap of memorizing mock drafts and, aside from their personal favorites, tend to use those as gospel ratings. Same thing happens with college recruiting rankings. They see the number of 3,4,5 star players their program landed and believe they know how good the players are. But they usually have zero clue.

Case in point this draft, how many were bitching and complaining that the Dolphins didn't select a Safety over a tackle (Jackson) or CB (Igbinoghene)? Because a majority of the mocks had several of those Safeties going in the 1st round.
However reality is a lot of tackles and corners were drafted in the 1st while not ONE Safety came off the board.

Yet they'll still argue that it was the wrong move despite the fact that none of the other 31 teams made a move to draft one until several picks into the 2nd round.

So, again, they believe they are smarter and more in the know than all 32 GM's. Downright silly.

FWIW, I believe a couple of those Safeties will be good, maybe even great players. That's not the point. It about positional value relative to the talent of the available players. Clearly 6 teams felt the CB prospects available to them were more valuable than the Safeties. And the remaining teams with a pick prior to the mid 30's that didn't select a CB felt the same about the players they drafted.

No, actually he didn't 'discover' Taysom Hill. Lots of teams were very aware of who he was. And Green Bay actually signed him as an UDFA first.

Furthermore, what has Taysom Hill -- who turns 30 years old in a few months btw -- accomplished thus far in his career to be touting Jeff Ireland for signing him off the waiver wire?

Riddle me that.
I was jus keeding

Such an Ireland move. Pick a player to stuff up another teams needs based on intel, rather than picking a player that your team really needed. CB, LB and G/C were the needs. with LB being the biggest. Brooks and Queen still available. Well done Jeff.

No team gets every player they target going into the draft. Even if Ruiz was going to be the pick, the Dolphins obviously didn’t like him enough to use drafts picks to move up and ensure they could draft him. Personally I was hoping they would draft Ruiz but they didn’t and I can live with that.

Such an Ireland move. Pick a player to stuff up another teams needs based on intel, rather than picking a player that your team really needed. CB, LB and G/C were the needs. with LB being the biggest. Brooks and Queen still available. Well done Jeff.
Fortunately for the Saints, Mickey Loomis is the teams GM and not Ireland. Ireland proved in his time with the Dolphins that he doesn’t have a clue when it comes to building a team and he is best suited to being no more than an underling in an NFL organization. Which is exactly what he is with the Saints.

He’s only the assistant GM. Wasn’t his call.

Back
Top Bottom