Thought I'd share this/Saints ruin Dolphins draft plans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thought I'd share this/Saints ruin Dolphins draft plans

I know the draft is over, but I was scrolling around on my phone and read this and figured I'd share with u all.

Always fun to read this kind of stuff.

If the Saints traded back, the team that jumped up to 24 could have taken Ruiz.

Then the 49ers could have taken him.

Or the 49ers trade down, and the team at 25 could have taken him.

Or we weren't interested at all.

Always fun to read this kind of stuff.

If the Saints traded back, the team that jumped up to 24 could have taken Ruiz.

Then the 49ers could have taken him.

Or the 49ers trade down, and the team at 25 could have taken him.

Or we weren't interested at all.

I think it’s funny that Jeff Ireland thinks he had good intel on the Dolphins draft plans, especially considering nobody else seemed to know exactly they were going to do at any point. It’s pretty well known now that MIA did a great job masking their intentions.

To further that point, there are several insiders that claim Aiyuk was their target at 26. So, again, nobody, including Jeff Ireland, knows for sure.

TL;DR: The Saints were originally looking to trade down at pick 24 but picked C Ruiz after having "strong intel" that the Dolphins would take him at 26.

Maybe the Dolphins should have taken Ruiz at #18. I think Austin Jackson probably would have been available at #26.

Was thinking the same [Jackson at 26] but after 4 tackles went off the board they were probably keen to grab one, it was a position of need and he is mean't to have a high ceiling so may develop into a better player than some of the other T's that had already gone.
Perhaps the Dolphins like the Saints were aware that another team would grab him before 26 so had to make the play.

Last edited:
Ireland told donors to the Louisiana-Lafayette Athletic Foundation in a call last week that the Saints had “pretty strong intel” that Miami and Kansas City would take Ruiz, according to Underhill, who added that the Saints initially looked to trade back but called it off once they learned about other interest.

The sentence before in the article says they didn’t really have any strong need since they finished 13-3. I mean you would think the article would make more sense if the Saints wanted Ruiz all along and thought they could get him still by trading down...but realizes they had to take him.

Ireland told donors to the Louisiana-Lafayette Athletic Foundation in a call last week that the Saints had “pretty strong intel” that Miami and Kansas City would take Ruiz, according to Underhill, who added that the Saints initially looked to trade back but called it off once they learned about other interest.

Sounds to me as if Ireland fell for one of the many smokescreens the Dolphins sent out and panicked by possibly overdrafting a center when he already had one.

For all anyone knows MIA was targeting Aiyuk at 26 as several others have suggested.

But Jeff Ireland apparently has to try to convince others and himself that he’s smart and in the know even though he’s already proved otherwise over many years.

I bet there are hundreds of situations like this in every draft where the ripple effects of certain decisions mean teams are having constantly reassess where they are. For every time a team ‘foils the plans’ of another they have their own plans scuppered.

As for having ‘intel’, it shouldn’t have taken a ****ing genius to predict that Ruiz was in play for us, he was pencilled in to the majority of mock drafts with that pick for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom