Thoughts on Giovani Bernard? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Giovani Bernard?

The knowledge of the casual fan is the worst barometer for determining which players are actually good. How many casual fans know who Van Ginkle is?

I remember having an argument with a "casual fan" that thought I was crazy for thinking we shouldn't sign Devanta Freeman.

I do think we should draft a RB on day 2. But I also don't think our backfield situation is as dire as some seem to. We have two quality backups. But it's definitely true that neither is going to be an average starter or a complete back.

Still, Gaskin and Ahmed are better than plenty of RB's that casual fans would think are better due to name recognition.
Well let's lay it out. 4.1 ypc is very mediocre. Out backfield on paper is very mediocre and that's really the beginning and the end of it at the end of the day.

Here's of an example of a late day three type back, Maybe even an udfa that I think could chalange at lease two of the three backs Miami has on the roster.

Justin Henderson is a 5'8 220 bowling ball. Backs like this often seem to come out of nowhere, land on an NFL roster and have an impact in a rb rotation. Not that LA Tech is nowhere, but it's a far cry from Alabama or LSU. Henderson is a no nonsense downhill runner.

Duke Johnson is an example of a currently unemployeed rb that you you could easily sign and bumb a Gaskin of Ahmad off the roster.

Duke Johnson averaged 3.1 ypc last year. And he's a small back that will be 28 next year. I'm always wary of any RB that is getting close to 30 years old and shows signs of a drop off.

Are you so sure he could easily bump them off? Kind of feels similar to when I was being told Freeman was better than what we had last year. Well known name, getting a little up there in age, signs of drop off.

I'm def not saying these two are guys that can't be challenged. I'm simply saying I believe they are quality #2 backs that aren't simply replaceable by random RB's pulled off the scrap heap. Though we honestly didn't get to see quite as much of Ahmed as I'd like for me to stand by any evaluation I have of him in particular.

Well let's lay it out. 4.1 ypc is very mediocre. Out backfield on paper is very mediocre and that's really the beginning and the end of it at the end of the day.
Well our line was one of the worst run blocking lines in the league. But purely as a runner, I do believe Gaskin is mediocre. His value comes from what he brings in the pass game.

And if I am saying our top two RB's are quality #2's then obviously i would agree our backfield is at best "very mediocre".

Last edited:
I have always liked this guy. He seems to have a great burst, good vision and has great hands. I think he is 29, but the Bengals just cut him. I would love for us to take a non guaranteed flyer on him to see what he brings to the table. The Bengals have always appeared to have terrible lines, but if we are strengthening ours, I think he could do well.
I think he is solid but we don't need him since Gaskin and Ahmed are perfect backs for the role Bernard plays. We need to add a RB who's the complete opposite of Bernard. Somebody's who powerful and can run between the tackles. I think it's very likely we'll draft a power back this draft.

Rookie & Brown as the power backs.
Gaskin & Ahmed as the pass catching backs.

That would be sooooo nice to see!

Back
Top Bottom