Thoughts on Giovani Bernard? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Giovani Bernard?

Frank Gore is still a workhorse, but he is a rare one. I remember Giovanni playing here for St Thomas high school, I would imagine he would love to come home and play. We've signed a bunch of one year flyer guys lately, I would give him a look. Not like any of our running backs are that special, to be honest.

Would pass on him. In house guys just as good.

Washed up. Hopefully we learned from last season regarding veteran free agent running backs. We need fresh legs that only a rookie RB can provide.
He’s not washed up at all, but he is 30 and very similar to Gaskins.

Speaking of washed up Bengals RB's. Wth happened to Jeremy Hill?

I personally like Gio and if we didnt have Ahmed and Gaskin I'd like to take a look at him but we just don't have room for him.

At this point of his career might be ok for vet depth on a packed roster of a a serious contending team. I don't like him on the rostr of a young team still trying to grow and build a roster. Bernard is the ype of back a team Chiefs would bring in as depth and someone they can use in a 3rd down role.

With Gaskin, Brown and Ahmed we really only have room for a rookie.
While I like our backs to a degree too, the casual NFL fan, not tied to the Dolphins, would laugh at hearing a team say they're not interested in looking at any runningback because they have Gaskin, Brown and Ahmad. "You have who, who and who!" I think Miami drafts a back in the first 3 rounds and adds another late in the draft or maybe as a priority udfa. Honestly wouldn't be shocked If the final 53 man roster had Gaskin, Brown and two rookies.

While I like our backs to a degree too, the casual NFL fan, not tied to the Dolphins, would laugh at hearing a team say they're not interested in looking at any runningback because they have Gaskin, Brown and Ahmad. "You have who, who and who!" I think Miami drafts a back in the first 3 rounds and adds another late in the draft or maybe as a priority udfa. Honestly wouldn't be shocked If the final 53 man roster had Gaskin, Brown and two rookies.
Seeing that really made me realize how lousy our backfield is. Can't make a single rebuttal cause its 100 percent accurate. Lets hope we draft a beast because that type of player isnt on the roster atm.

Edit: it really frustrates me how so many people on this forum want to wait until 50 to draft one of the 3 great RBs in this draft. I hope Grier is smarter than the posters here and I think he is.

Last edited:
I think I prefer Ahmed to Gaskins to be honest. Seems to have a bit more burst to him.
Different style backs. Ahmed is the better runner, but Gaskin is significantly better as a reciever and pass blocker.

Gaskin's pace was over 600 yrds recieving over the course of a 16 game schedule.

Ahmed was a rookie last year, and Gaskin is two years older.

But unless Ahmed improves more than Gaskin does from last season, the skills Gaskin brings are more valuable and I would rank him higher.

Last edited:
Seeing that really made me realize how lousy our backfield is. Can't make a single rebuttal cause its 100 percent accurate. Lets hope we draft a beast because that type of player isnt on the roster atm.

Edit: it really frustrates me how so many people on this forum want to wait until 50 to draft one of the 3 great RBs in this draft. I hope Grier is smarter than the posters here and I think he is.
I don't know that I would say they were lousy, but I just feel like if one were to be lost for the season you could find a decent replacement for them on practice squads or maybe on the free agent market. I think they're each roster worthy backs, I just think they're each number three or four backs on a roster and not a number one or two. Each one has shown a little glimpse here and there, It should be an interesting training camp battle.

The knowledge of the casual fan is the worst barometer for determining which players are actually good. How many casual fans know who Van Ginkle is?

I remember having an argument with a "casual fan" that thought I was crazy for thinking we shouldn't sign Devanta Freeman.

I do think we should draft a RB on day 2. But I also don't think our backfield situation is as dire as some seem to. We have two quality backups. But it's definitely true that neither is going to be an average starter or a complete back.

Still, Gaskin and Ahmed are better than plenty of RB's that casual fans would think are better due to name recognition.

Last edited:
The knowledge of the casual fan is the worst barometer for determining which players are actually good. How many casual fans know who Van Ginkle is?

I do think we should draft a RB on day 2. But I also don't think our backfield situation is as dire as some seem to.

Gaskin and Ahmed are better than plenty of RB's that casual fans would think are better due to name recognition.
Here's of an example of a late day three type back, Maybe even an udfa that I think could challenge at least two of the three backs Miami has on the roster.

Justin Henderson is a 5'8 220 bowling ball. Backs like this often seem to come out of nowhere, land on an NFL roster and have an impact in a rb rotation. Not that LA Tech is nowhere, but it's a far cry from Alabama or LSU. Henderson is a no nonsense downhill runner. Not say he would make Miami's 53 man roster, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Duke Johnson is an example of a currently unemployeed rb that you you could easily sign and bumb a Gaskin of Ahmad off the roster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom