Thoughts On Lamar Jackson? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts On Lamar Jackson?

Seems like a good kid and local but too many QB-related red flags of various types which don't necessarily preclude him from being successful but would certainly make him a relatively rare anomaly to risk an 11th pick on.

Conversely there are too many bona fide studs with "yellow jacket" potential who will fall to us because of the run on more highly thought of QBs. Allegedly Gase is in love with Rosen who is pretty far afield in a number of ways from Jackson so there's that too.

He's the quintessential "high risk/potential high reward" type player vs the several "low risk/high reward alternatives capable of impacting a game from their defensive positions from whom" we'll assuredly have to choose.

Someone will take him before this, but I would not be opposed to trading back in the 2nd for another pick and taking him if he were still available

Seems like he isn't getting any love like the other top QBs. I know college stats doesn't always translate. I have seen this kid play through our his college career. It was just see TV. Potential to throw a bomb or take it to the house on every position. All these other QBs could be busts but at least if he sucks he at least brings athleticism and speed to the team. I have heard he isn't tall enough, not accurate enough but I call bull on that. Other QBs with worst stats have been considered top picks,why not him? I would draft him,let him sit for a year. That kid can ball. I think he ends up best QBs in draft. Felt the same about Wilson when he came out. They didn't like him either.

Jackson and Wilson were 2 completely different QBs coming out with different questions.

Quarterbacks like Michael Vick, RGIII, Randall Cunningham, Tyrod Taylor and so on and so on aren't your traditional pocket passers, but their mobility and the threat they bring once they break the pocket puts stress on defenses and gives them bigger passing windows to throw at. I personally prefer the traditional passing qbs, but their have been a ton of highly touted pocket qb's that never had the success of some of the mobile qb's mentioned. For example Taylor making plays outside the pocket has killed Miami in recent years and has cause the Dolphins as much trouble as any other QB not named Brady. Those 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 10 runs for first downs are back breaking. Then your linebackers and safeties have to keep an eye on him and your coverage starts to break down. I'm so glad he's gone.

Seems like he isn't getting any love like the other top QBs. I know college stats doesn't always translate. I have seen this kid play through our his college career. It was just see TV. Potential to throw a bomb or take it to the house on every position. All these other QBs could be busts but at least if he sucks he at least brings athleticism and speed to the team. I have heard he isn't tall enough, not accurate enough but I call bull on that. Other QBs with worst stats have been considered top picks,why not him? I would draft him,let him sit for a year. That kid can ball. I think he ends up best QBs in draft. Felt the same about Wilson when he came out. They didn't like him either.
If you liked Russell Wilson, you're going to hate Lamar Jackson. Wilson had all of the traditional QB ckeckpoints, including what at the time was the highest rated QB season in college football history. Wilson WAS the prototypical pocket passing QB with the accuracy, ability to read defenses, etc. Really, his one and only problem was size. Lamar Jackon's best ability is his physical speed and size. These guys are opposites.

If you want the corollary to Russell Wilson, that would be Baker Mayfield. I think the success of Russell Wilson is one of the main reasons people are elevating Mayfield from a 2nd round gamble to a top 5 pick in the 1st round. Remember how I mentioned that Russell Wilson had the highest rated QB season in college football history? That season is now #3, because the top two are Baker Mayfield who had two even better seasons. I get how you make the argument for Russell Wilson. But that's the argument for Baker Mayfield, who is a less athletic but taller and more accurate version of Russell Wilson, and lots of GM's and Coaches are willing to make that gamble, because they've already seen Wilson succeed.

Honestly, the best comparable to Lamar Jackson would be Terrelle Pryor. I'd say that Pryor might be the more accurate QB and had better vision. Both were major projects. Pryor never made it as a QB, which I think is scaring off many GM's.

If you liked Russell Wilson, you're going to hate Lamar Jackson. Wilson had all of the traditional QB ckeckpoints, including what at the time was the highest rated QB season in college football history. Wilson WAS the prototypical pocket passing QB with the accuracy, ability to read defenses, etc. Really, his one and only problem was size. Lamar Jackon's best ability is his physical speed and size. These guys are opposites.

If you want the corollary to Russell Wilson, that would be Baker Mayfield.
I think the success of Russell Wilson is one of the main reasons people are elevating Mayfield from a 2nd round gamble to a top 5 pick in the 1st round. Remember how I mentioned that Russell Wilson had the highest rated QB season in college football history? That season is now #3, because the top two are Baker Mayfield who had two even better seasons. I get how you make the argument for Russell Wilson. But that's the argument for Baker Mayfield, who is a less athletic but taller and more accurate version of Russell Wilson, and lots of GM's and Coaches are willing to make that gamble, because they've already seen Wilson succeed.

Honestly, the best comparable to Lamar Jackson would be Terrelle Pryor. I'd say that Pryor might be the more accurate QB and had better vision. Both were major projects. Pryor never made it as a QB, which I think is scaring off many GM's.

I like Mayfield, but the athleticism difference between the two is pretty significant. Mayfield is closer to Brees in that regard.

Pat White was quite the athletic QB coming out of WV as well. The Steelers knocked the athleticism right out of him, along with a few of his chops. Knocked him right out of the league.
The Steelers don’t get near enough credit for being dirty.

I like Jackson, and have been banging the table for him. However, sadly, I am beginning to realize the timing probably isn't right. Tannehill is our starter, and if he can regain the form he had before he was injured, he should be good enough for us to win. Drafting Jackson would do a disservice to Tannehill and our team because essentially we would be starting over. Nobody is doing that right now unless Tannehill is reinjured. So instead, we need to get our defense straight. Take BPA at 11 (It's probably going to be a defensive guy anyway.) Shoring up the defense will also help our offense because they might be able to get off the field and not give up points which will put our offense in a hole. Surround Tannehill with some good offensive support and we should be good to go.

The Steelers don’t get near enough credit for being dirty.

Ike Taylor is a shithead, but nothing dirty about that play. A small player made a terrible decision to dive head-first into a planted defender.

Ike Taylor is a ****head, but nothing dirty about that play. A small player made a terrible decision to dive head-first into a planted defender.
He didnt dive he got tripped from behind... Nowadays they get suspended for that type of hit...

Although raw, he's such an exciting player, if he works hard the sky's the limit for that kid.

Pat White was quite the athletic QB coming out of WV as well. The Steelers knocked the athleticism right out of him, along with a few of his chops. Knocked him right out of the league.

White was like 5’8” and 150 lbs. lazy comparisons

He didnt dive he got tripped from behind... Nowadays they get suspended for that type of hit...

Eh, either way, nothing dirty about it. The fact that it would be a penalty today (didn't lead with helmet, so probably not a fine) doesn't make it dirty.

Eh, either way, nothing dirty about it. The fact that it would be a penalty today (didn't lead with helmet, so probably not a fine) doesn't make it dirty.
Fair enough... Dont think it was that much of a dirty hit, was more replying to the "terrible decision to dive head first" part...

Back
Top Bottom