Thoughts on sites such as Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DuderinoN703, Sep 6, 2015.

1. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

You've heard the commercials. Has anyone had experience on this site and made any money? I'm curious to hear your stories.

2. Dolfan81

Dolfan81 Pro Bowler

A guy I do a league with on yahoo did it last season on fanduel, a 5 dollar league he won 700 in one week

3. DuderinoN703

Did he play any other times? Or got lucky once and then said **** it?

4. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

It is fun, but easy to get carried away. Remember, don't bet more than you are comfortable losing..One tip if you decide to play is to target guys with the lowest salary cost per projected point.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

5. susser2000

susser2000 A True Fan

I played and lost money last season, but I had a friend make a bunch of money last season. He kept playing each week between $150-$300 per week and ended the season up about $1500. It's like any gambling site, you have to spend money to make money if you are playing consistently.

6. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

I play too, haven't won or lost any significant amount of money. I will say this its mainly about matchups and getting lucky on having one guy having a career day. But if you do your research you usually can finish in the top 3 most leagues give a taste to the top 3 guys. The first 3-4 weeks are little shaky because teams are still figuring themselves out so its harder to judge matchups, but some teams just have bad defenses and you kind of focus on those teams. So i try to matchup the worst run defenses with a good RB and same with WR vs. worst Pass def. etc. I am definitely taking the Dolphins defense week one lol, but I usually stay away from the Dolphin players if I can because of my innate bias but if the matchup is obvious like week 1 I'll use them. Kickers for me have always been hit or miss but the logic I use if the team is facing a good top 5 defense and they are weak in general on offense i'll use that kicker, I tend to hover around KC, Oak, SD for their kickers they seem to use them the most but that is anecdotal on my part. Anyway i would love if more one day fantasy guys got together, started weekly threads and compared notes on what players to spotlight. Stat-heads are usually good sources of info

7. DuderinoN703

I'd like to get into it for sure. I'd never throw down $150-300 a week though. I'd probably only try a $20-25 week once and see how I like it. I don't want to lose money monthly as if it's just another bill to pay.

8. Amish Pirate

Amish Pirate Well-Known Member

I got into playing on Fanduel last year. Put $100 in my account and said that is what I was comfortable losing, ended the year with just over $300. I mostly play the NFL but dabble in MLB and NBA. I hate college football and basketball on there. I played like $15 to $25 a week until I started to win and build up a system, then I played more.

9. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

Also Thursday games are friggin poison too UGH so hit or miss

10. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

I deposited $25 just to see what it was like. Entered the PGA Championship Millionaire maker several weeks ago for $20. You have to be in the top 25% to win your money back. You pick six golfers and watch your rating rise and drop throughout the weekend with every putt made or missed. It was well worth the entertainment even though I didn't win. At one point I was in the top 1% on Friday morning and my winnings would have been $125. But then 5 of my 6 golfers sucked it out the rest of the tournament and I ended up in the 30% range just out of the money.

I am entered in an NFL contest this week so it will be my first time trying the site for Football. Might be more interesting than the golf. Would recommend just don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

11. DuderinoN703

From what I've read so far it seems like it really isn't worth it. I may burn $50 at some point just to say I did it. We'll see. Thanks all.

12. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

The payouts are pretty lame depending how much you lay out per league, There are $1 leagues and $5 leagues all the way to 1K leagues etc. I usually stick to the $5 and $10 leagues. I used to do fantasy but its such a PITA, doing it every week constantly looking for injuries and waiver wire transactions. If I miss a week its not like my team is F'ed for the season

13. DuderinoN703

Ideally I'd like to play $25 and win $50 that week. I don't even give a **** about a million bucks b/c I'd never expect to get that. The one thing I don't understand yet is, say you're in a league with 24 other people. What if 5 of those folks, including you, have the same exact lineup (player by player) and it's the winning lineup. Do they split it up by 5 people?

It's probably unlikely to have a matching lineup like that but I'm sure it's not impossible.

14. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

They have all kinds of options for play. They have a Double your money contest this week for $25 entry. It is limited to the first 1356 entries. If you finish in the top 600 you win $50. No big payout just double your money if you are in the top 50%. Sounds like that one is exactly what you were asking for. If you have the same lineup as someone else then you both get the same points and share the same place. In this contest it wouldn't matter. You would both win $50 if your scores were in top 600. They also have leagues where you play with as little as 1 opponent. Winner takes all except a small cut for Draft Kings. They have leagues with 100 of thousand of entries that pay giant prizes. Lots of options.

15. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

i tried it out recently myself.... its been fun. i am not a gambler but something to do once in a while.

i been basically only playing the MLB ones... i once in a while do the 3 dollar moonshot ones when i can put together a roster i really like. once in a long time i also do the multipliers 3x, for 5 dollars, when i REALLY like my line-up i have. so far i am up like 35 bucks.

its sometimes lose a few bucks.. .win a few bucks. its not like you build massively i guess unless you hit big. but its fun once again.

lots of free ones to play too for tickets... i do that to mess around with other sports, but not sure what the tickets you could win do!!! lol