Thoughts on the Future | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the Future

Why take the lesser qb?

That's how you end up with Ryan Tannehill.

You end up with Ryan Tannehill when you REACH for a QB and ignore all the obvious flaws in his game. There are many drafts with multiple QB prospects that are far better than Tannehill, and many times the best guy in the long run was the second or third QB drafted, so I don't agree with your argument.

No other QB at Bama has looked anywhere near as good as Tua. He consistantly makes NFL throws, has NFL arm strength and accuracy, has game changing mobility, and hes a great person. He's a true blue chip prospect like Luck.
Honestly, by the time the draft comes around, Tua might go down as the best QB prospect since Luck.

Honestly, by the time the draft comes around, Tua might go down as the best QB prospect since Luck.

Does nobody find cause for concern upon hearing this? At the end of the day, was "sucking for Luck" really worth it when the guy got so beat up mentally and physically trying to carry a franchise that wasn't good enough without him? That's what we're asking of insert QB people want us to tank for. I'm all for rebuilding and not paying veterans for mediocrity. I'm all for not worrying about stop gaps and half measures. But man, we're asking way too much to think that any rookie at any position is gonna come in and single-handedly turn around 59-10.

I think its ludicrous to cheer being this level of awful and then expect a QB from the most dominant college football program in modern football history, a guy who will probably only have a small handful of legitimately difficult games in his entire college career, and for the most part have chance for success handed to him on a silver spoon, will somehow be able to compete on a team that is historically bad.

If after the year it appears we need to go QB, and we've evaluated everything and he's the best QB prospect out there, and we have a chance to draft him, sure, go for it. But I'm not rooting for a season to be all about positioning to draft a player. I've seen the Sam Bradfords and Matt Leinarts and know that success in the NFL is never assured.

Since Don Shula retired … what have we really done that was exceptional? JJ gave us hope, then quit on us when he couldn't build a run-first team and a dominating defense. His legacy gave Wanstadt defensive greats Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas. They formed the basis of a very good defense, and Ricky & Ronnie gave us good running backs. But, we never had an exceptional team. Wanny rode Ricky into the ground just to get into the playoffs, where we repeatedly lost in the first round. One time we lost by being humiliated by the Jacksonville Jaguars of all teams. After those pretender teams, we didn't really have any success except the one fluke year where Brady was injured and we "won" the division title by tying with the Patriots and beating them on tiebreakers. Since then … nothing of consequence. We stumbled an injury-riddled Gase team back into the playoffs, but never had a chance.

Simply put, we've not been special since Don Shula retired. Now people are trying to reboot this thing by tearing it down to the foundation and rebuilding it stacked with resources. We've endured two decades of not being special. How is it that fans simply cannot endure a couple more seasons when the very real chance of becoming special hangs in the balance?

I am not interested in another year of mediocrity. I want a return to greatness for this once and future proud franchise. I'm ready to embrace the pain needed to work for a better future. If tanking gets us a good QB, I'm all for it.

Have read thro many of the threads over the last week or so, as I'm new to this forum but not in supporting the team from afar. One big concern I have is scouting. Grier as GM and Flo as coach lead the charge but who do we have as college scouts, what track record do they in regards results in drafting players? Obviously as the 59-10 score suggests we have a ton of holes and need a lot of the right talent. So my Thought on the Future is do have the right system and people in place to make the most of our draft capital?

I’m stunned by how many people are so freaked out. Everyone knew this team was going to be torn completely down and rebuilt from the ground up. That’s why they gave Flores a five year fully guaranteed contract.

Right now we are watching a glorified expansion team but with a ton of future draft picks and cap space. Remember people, we have the equivalent of two years worth of draft picks next year and something like $160 million in cap space. If they choose to use the #1 overall on a QB Or trade it for multiple first round picks then so be it. They have the draft capital to do whatever they want in ‘20 or ‘21 and they have the cash to rebuild. The price for that is the suck in ‘19. I for one would rather take one season of 59-10 losses than another 20 years of 8-8.

I realize there are no guarantees. We just don't know the extent of what Ross has instructed the F/O to do. We all know, The Tanking Mantra came about After Gase was let go. He interpreted it as Ross wanting to Tank. IMHO it's more of a Franchise Reset. Nothing was working before. So Ross decided it was time to gut the mediocrity and start fresh. You can't continue to wallow in mediocrity without change. Ross finally figured out, the manage by committee was bad for business, especially when you have a HC who's in over his head and a QB in Tannehill, who isn't the type who can escape pressure or even feel it. QB's like Tannehill needed perfection around him. The NFL isn't built that way. Move on!!! He allows Grier to stay on, who actually did a wonderful job of hiring Allen and McKenzie. But there are many questions to the exact extend he's responsible for the mess in the 1st place. I'm not sure Ross would have kept him if he thought he was the problem. Now we look to the future, a future that has lots of questions about the franchises' perception in the football world. Lots of work to be done and it ain't happening overnight. My guess and hope is by the 2022 season we fans start seeing results.

Its a good time to tank. The Pats are at the end of their rope. The Jets are very unimpressive and the bills aint much better.
Another season where New England is laughing at the the other 3 AFC east teams falling over each other with ultimate ineptitude.

Dolphins, Bills and Jets together was one big steaming pile today.

As I sit here today after the game I'm excited for the future.

Until Miami hits on a qb this team goes nowhere.

OL, DL won't matter until the guy under center is that guy. I don't care who it is, Tua, Trevor, Love, Fromm. I don't care. Just be good.

Gotta get that guy.

Again my fine friends … remember two things:

1. We're actively trying to tank, and
2. It's only one game and we just gutted the roster and changed every single scheme the team had.

Lol, just wait until next weekend. Brady torched the Steelers who are considerably better than us...

As I sit here today after the game I'm excited for the future.

Until Miami hits on a qb this team goes nowhere.

OL, DL won't matter until the guy under center is that guy. I don't care who it is, Tua, Trevor, Love, Fromm. I don't care. Just be good.

Gotta get that guy.

The “guy” will have a short career if the OL isn’t addressed. Even Marino had a OL.

The “guy” will have a short career if the OL isn’t addressed. Even Marino had a OL.

True. Miami has plenty of means to rebuild that unit and honestly the OL today wasn't the worst part of the team..Just get them better and see where it goes.

True. Miami has plenty of means to rebuild that unit and honestly the OL today wasn't the worst part of the team..Just get them better and see where it goes.

I definitely expect our trenches to be much better next year with the amount of cap and picks that we have. And there is a high likelihood that we win the 1st pick. F it, pick a QB 1st because none of our QBs on our roster will be alive after this season lol

I definitely expect our trenches to be much better next year with the amount of cap and picks that we have. And there is a high likelihood that we win the 1st pick. F it, pick a QB 1st because none of our QBs on our roster will be alive after this season lol

What the hell free agent worth his salt is going to want to come to the Miami **** show? We'd have to pay them triple of what they're worth to even get them to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom