Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft

As soon as I see the phrase, "we should have traded up for..."

I stop reading and go on to the next post.

I try to remain in the realm of reality... and avoid those who think trades are always available.

Trades may not always available but when you have 14 picks it would be nice to try and use them for our benefit.
SF said they were game to trade both of their 1st rounders. If we wanted Wirfs we beat that TB compensation all day long.
We are sitting at 56, you don’t think one team would trade with us?
I respect what your saying but neither of these trades were out of our reach or out of the realm of possibility.

I wonder what the overlap between the group of people who said “do NOT trade up for tua, we stockpiled all those picks for a reason” and the “we should have traded up for player X” is.

When talking about trading up in the top 5 that is expensive but when you get into rounds 2 and 3 and have secured 3-4 players that is when you open up that war chest and go to work.

Agree. Some here seem to think drafting is a simple 'I want him, I'll draft him.' Most of us know the strategy is FAR deeper. I want player X (WR) and there are two teams between us and and player X. One desperately needs a CB, the other has the league's best WR corp. The odds are, player X is ours. Oops. That's life. If teams moved up to insure they get 'their guy,' they'd trade up almost every pick. The player picked at #17 may depend on who's taken at #15.

Sometimes teams want to move up (I was expecting (wanting)) Miami to move up in R1 for a top OT. Didn't happen. Can't trade up without a partner.

We can all come up with additional scenarios. Thus, I get amused/annoyed at those saying Miami picked 'the wrong' guy,' when they could have moved up

I don’t think people are saying trade up on every pick. One or two trade ups in this whole draft makes a difference as does not reaching like we did after the 1st round. Quite frankly we reached on damn near every pick after Tua. The only value I saw after him was Weaver.

This draft was about accumulating special athletes and good character guys who, Miami feels, have more upside over a longer timeline. than some other guys. 2020 is getting fed to the lions again. Another sacrifice to draft in the top 10 next year still possessing good cap room.
Also, trades could be made between now and Labor Day. We could wind up with surplus in the secondary that matches with another team's surplus at tackle, guard or center.

I don’t think people are saying trade up on every pick. One or two trade ups in this whole draft makes a difference as does not reaching like we did after the 1st round. Quite frankly we reached on damn near every pick after Tua. The only value I saw after him was Weaver.

I'm not sure. Miami may have reached on your board. we don't know their board. even then, they may have preferred not to 'reach,' but the draft didn't allow them a choice.
No, I don't think teams should trade up every pick. I think we agree more than disagree (if at all), and, remember, I wanted to move up R1. I wasn't thrilled with all the picks, but I won't complain a lot. I wasn't in the room

Back
Top Bottom