Three Dolphins Who Can Step Up Without Allen Hurns In 2020 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Dolphins Who Can Step Up Without Allen Hurns In 2020

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

The 3 are Ford, Grant, and Jennings, but I think this is a great opportunity for some guys who are UDFA's like Cole/Merrit. We know what Ford, and Grant bring to the table. Ford really stepped it up last season during the last few games.

WR Gary Jennings Jr.

Jennings is a former 4th-round pick from the 2019 NFL Draft. Miami took advantage of their low post on the waiver wire last fall when they were able to pluck him off of Seattle, who had cut him from their active roster. Jennings didn’t get much run in Miami but the catalyst of those issues was his health — he ended up playing just a handful of snaps before missing the end of the year. Something important to keep in mind for Jennings? He’s got explosive speed. He tested in the 4.3s in the 40-yard dash and has plenty of experience winning from the slot at the college level, where he played at West Virginia. Jennings is the sleeper to reap the benefits of Hurns’ departure for 2020 — but he’s well equipped to make a splash and create some chunk explosive plays that this team will desperately need.

I thought I read that Jennings was working out with Tua. If that's the case, maybe that gives him the inside track. I haven't given up faith in Grant either, although staying healthy has been his biggest challenge. I could see him emerging with Tua here. Maybe the big plays start coming more frequently and not just a few times a year. Hey, might as well dream a little. You just never know.

I think back to when Dan Marino was drafted. The Dolphins receiving corps was considered bottom third in the NFL, even though Mark Duper was on the roster before Dan was drafted. Mark Clayton was drafted in 1983 along with Marino. All of a sudden, with an amazing quarterback, the Miami receivers didn't look so bad.

Hurns might not have made the team anyway.

Wilson is a bigger story as his loss will certainly open up time for others, especially for Jennings in the slot.

With Miami likely to add a WR next Draft we probably have seen the last of both of them in Aqua and Orange.

I expect both Ford and Jennings to be given every opportunity to make the team. Ford showed he belonged in the final 6 games of the season. Jennings on the other hand, has potential, especially if he develops the way some people believe he can, after having such a stellar off season.

Like Travis said, this has become quite interesting now. We know the #1 and #2 were essentially locked up (I could actually see Preston snatch the #1 spot potentially), but after that WR wise, there's lots of opportunity. Hopefully Grant, Ford, Jennings and others have what it takes to seize the ample opportunity out there. I agree with others, that I think were going to see a trade happen for a WR in the near future...

I thought I read that Jennings was working out with Tua. If that's the case, maybe that gives him the inside track. I haven't given up faith in Grant either, although staying healthy has been his biggest challenge. I could see him emerging with Tua here. Maybe the big plays start coming more frequently and not just a few times a year. Hey, might as well dream a little. You just never know.

I think back to when Dan Marino was drafted. The Dolphins receiving corps was considered bottom third in the NFL, even though Mark Duper was on the roster before Dan was drafted. Mark Clayton was drafted in 1983 along with Marino. All of a sudden, with an amazing quarterback, the Miami receivers didn't look so bad.
He was, since Tua and himself were both injured, they had access to the facility while others did not.

I am pulling for jennings based on talent but ford could surprise. Neither has me excited

These opt outs are a huge opportunity for the young WR's, Jennings in particular.

He has a chance to make use forget we even had Hurns and Wilson.

I think we'll use a few different guys at slot. Ford looked like he belonged at the end of last year. They're scripted plays for Grant left over from Gase! Jenning is interesting if he can stay on the field. I think we have enough that we're fine. It should result in some increased play from Brieda in the passing game.

Back
Top Bottom