Throwback Thursday: The Unblockable Jason Taylor: The Greatest Defensive End Of All Time! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Throwback Thursday: The Unblockable Jason Taylor: The Greatest Defensive End Of All Time!

BennySwella

We need better LB's
Reaction score

I will be completely honest and say that I did not appreciate Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas like I should have until it was too late. My problem was that I grew up as a kid watching them for the first time, so I didn't know hard it was for a defensive end to score a TD or to constantly be getting sacks every game all game long... or how hard it was to strip sack people and cause fumbles.

Now that we have arguably the worst DE production in all my time as a Dolphin fan I have gained tremendous appreciation for the great games he gave this team and me as a young fan. He was a juggernaut. His pass rushing technique is incredible. A perfect combo of speed and strength, spin moves and bull rushes throwing people aside.

Not to mention, that he is hands down the greatest coverage defensive end in the history of the game. He was better in coverage than any of our current linebackers.

I'm still trying to forgive JT for wearing a Jets uniform.

He didn't have to, and lord knows he didn't need the money. He started to lose some perspective near the end. Dancing With The Stars as another example. But.....he WAS awesome, and gave up his health for the game.

JT was about 2 hours from getting his leg amputated. He played a couple games with a hidden catheter running from his armpit to his heart, sometimes had to sleep on the stairs, standing up. Painkillers, injections, spinal epidural. Nasty stuff.

Zach on the other hand was more rooted. Loved when he displaced Jack del Rio in his rookie training camp. The world said WHAaaaaTtttttt? And JJ just said, "the kid is better than del Rio"

Last edited:
He’s certainly the most playmaking DE ever, really revolutionized the position for tall fast guys playing D-end rather than strong brutes.

Watching JT and Zach was so much fun.

Jason Taylor was certainly our best ever DE, but no way is he the best ever to play the position. But he is absolutely near the top.

Awesome video. .47 second mark was the best Dolphin game I attended with my daughter. Trailing 13-3 Jason changed the game on the last play of half. Dolphins went on to a rout of Bengals. Been looking for that clip for a while.

What a great player - and a nice video too. Cool to see Wake at the end getting an assist on JT's last sack of Brady too - in a way, almost a passing of the torch.

Jason Taylor was certainly our best ever DE, but no way is he the best ever to play the position. But he is absolutely near the top.

I’d still take Doug Betters over JT. He played in an era when there was less emphasis on the passing game and still had some big years, including playoffs.
As much of a homer as I am, I will admit that JT never showed up in big games and was a non factor when matched up against the better LTs. He feasted against average LTs.
He’s not in the same class as guys like Bruce Smith or Reggie White.
I can’t even recall JT getting a big sack in a playoff game. He was on the field in some of the most lopsided playoff losses in Dolphins history.

Last edited:
I’d still take Doug Betters over JT. He played in an era when there was less emphasis on the passing game and still had some big years, including playoffs.
As much of a homer as I am, I will admit that JT never showed up in big games and was a non factor when matched up against the better LTs. He feasted against average LTs.
I can’t even recall JT getting a big sack in a playoff game. He was on the field in some of the most lopsided playoff losses in Dolphins history.

You must be a young Miami fan and you sure aren't going to make any friends with the long timers.... like myself.

He's definitely the best we've ever had, that's for sure. A Miami legend. The best part of that video is seeing the days when we played games against good teams and caused them problems. Having leads in football games.....oh the good ol days :cheers:

Absolutely deserving of the HOF and proved to be one of the best pass rushers of all time.

Back
Top Bottom