------- Tie-Breaking Procedures: with NE | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------- Tie-Breaking Procedures: with NE

so doesnt that mean if ne goes 3-1 over the next 4, and beats buffalo, we have to go 4-0 to win the division? and doesnt baltimore have to lose 2 for us to get the wildcard because of confrence records? one thing we have going for us is NE is 1-5 on the road and they have to travel to buffalo and to houstan and they could lose both those games. if we take care of business and win out, we should be in the playoffs somehow. and with our ability to run the ball and stop the run, plus the way weve played vs. the top teams (indy, NO, NE), we could make a run in the playoffs. screw draft position, i want to see the dolphins win!

can u imagine if the tiebreaker came down to a coin toss lol. that would be insane, i wish it would be televised. i dont think though a tiebreaker has ever come down to a coin toss in football.

That...would...be...EPIC!

You'd see NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, and every major network for 15 minutes toon into the coin toss. You have Erin Andrews interviewing Tom Brady and Chad Henne about how they feel going into the coin toss, what is their gameplans, expectations, etc... You'd have Joe Buck and Troy Aikman giving their keys to the coin toss, and they'd show the highlight first thing on sportscenter and spend the first 20 minutes of the show analyzing important aspects before and after the toss has occured. We will discuss how there was a controversial "Hea...tails" and the referee blew the call and gave the division to the Patriots, and the NFL will be forced to give out a public apology and will have to replay the coin toss.

Sorry, my imagination runs wild sometimes.

because anyone I talk to who would want an answer is really going to sit there and listen to me attempt to ramble off all of that crap.

to me...
umad-1.jpg
Your powers of perception are unprecedented.
Try this instead:
or give them some of this:

The easy way to look at it is this. We win out and pats lose any game except panthers and we win division.

The easy way to look at it is this. We win out and pats lose any game except panthers and we win division.

Wouldn't we win also if Carolina beat NE and we win out? That would be another common opponent (Carolina) that we beat and NE Lost to.

I believe if we win out and NE loses any one of their remaining games, we win the division.

Right?

Example:
If two teams end with identical records, combine the records of the opponents in each of the team's wins and calculate the total winning percentage. The team whose opponents have the higher winning percentage wins the tiebreaker.

In Miami's 6 wins-to-date, our opponent's win % is = .345
In NE's 7 wins-to-date, their opponent's win % is = .410
(Note: Tampa Bay at 1-11 pulls this % way down for both teams).

So because it's the winning percentage of the opponents that we beat, then if Baltimore loses another game or San Deigo continues to win, that might be the difference, correct?

combine the records of the opponents in each of the team's wins and calculate the total winning percentage

do you have a break down of this?

also, does the jets sweep count as a common opponent since we beat them twice? I know they split with the Patriots, but is this factored into the calculation. (I suppose Buffalo cancels this out for New England since they swept Buffalo and we split). Just curious...

can u imagine if the tiebreaker came down to a coin toss lol. that would be insane, i wish it would be televised. i dont think though a tiebreaker has ever come down to a coin toss in football.

Bring on the coin!
Heads Dolphins Win
Tails New England Loses

I think this should be given a sticky and updated week to week...

Wouldn't we win also if Carolina beat NE and we win out? That would be another common opponent (Carolina) that we beat and NE Lost to.

I believe if we win out and NE loses any one of their remaining games, we win the division.

Right?

No.
If NE loses to Carolina, then yes, it's a common opponent, but they currently have 1 LESS loss than us vs. common opponents. So, a loss to Car would TIE us with NE for the LEVEL 3 tie-break. We go to LEVEL 4 (AFC record, which we'd also tie, so we'd go to LEVEL 5, strength of victory, which we'll most likely LOSE).

So, to recap, if we go 4-0, and NE only loses to Carolina, NE will win tie-breakers.

So because it's the winning percentage of the opponents that we beat, then if Baltimore loses another game or San Deigo continues to win, that might be the difference, correct?

Technically correct, but the NE lead in LEVEL 5 (Strength of Victory) is pretty large right now. A few wins/losses in our favor will not be enough to overcome the large lead currently.

Bottom line: if it gets to LEVEL 5 tie-break, we lose.

do you have a break down of this?

also, does the jets sweep count as a common opponent since we beat them twice? I know they split with the Patriots, but is this factored into the calculation. (I suppose Buffalo cancels this out for New England since they swept Buffalo and we split). Just curious...

As I explained in my first post, 14 games are "common games".
We only have 2 games different:
Mia - played SD, Pit
NE - played Den, Bal

All other 14 games count.
However, if we end up tied, then by definition, NE will lose 1 more game than us (ie, we go 4-0, they go 3-1).

Read my LEVEL 3 analysis for what happens.

because anyone I talk to who would want an answer is really going to sit there and listen to me attempt to ramble off all of that crap.

to me...
umad-1.jpg
if you don't wanna know don't read it, if you don't care then don't post about it. as it is see you in another thread because if you continue this i'm going to give you time off.

Back
Top Bottom