Tight Ends... in general | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tight Ends... in general

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
Over the last two drafts, there have been 30 TEs drafted-- an average of 15 per year for those of you bad at maths.

This year's TE crew is considered to be very deep, one of the deepest in many years, and although Mayer is the only one predicted to go in the first round, there are at least 15 guys who show up on most lists of draftable TEs. When I look at their various ratings, one thing occurs to me... the gap between #2 and #15 (or so) isn't large. Then I add in the fact that so few TEs are worth a damn early in their career and I start thinking about value.

Who might slide down to our pick in the 6th round, and would we be willing to play a year with Smythe, Long, and Conner?

If you are believer in the value drafting game, I propose that this is a prime spot for this approach.

I don't want to go TE in R2 but I would be fine with them trying to find a sleeper who fits the qualities they are looking for later.

I also would not be surprised by a trade down in R2 to recoup some Draft capital, say the 2nd rounder for a couple of 3's, or a 3,4 and 5 type package.

They need some cheap bodies with the big contracts they are carrying not to mention the Wilkins extension and the possible impending Tua extension, which will be a huge decision for the team obviously.

While I agree with your line of thinking, I still know how much better this offense would be with a Kittle.
That's true, but Kittles are so rare... and even this year's top guy is generally described as more of a Jason Witten type.
I suppose that if our staff saw a guy whose skill set exactly matched what they envisioned as perfect, then I would endorse the pick, but wanting a guy like that to exist, when he may not will get you into trouble.

Remember all the people who were screaming for us to draft Kyle Pitts? Several people swore he was a top 5 kind of pick.
I always thought he had a slot TEs game... like Gesicki. I think I was right on that one.
Our offense is premised upon having a traditional TE type, but most of those guys don't have the requisite deep speed to become elite.

Last edited:
Remember all the people who were screaming for us to draft Kyle Pitts? Several people swore he was a top 5 kind of pick.
I always thought he had a slot TEs game... like Gesicki. I think I was right on that one.
Our offense is premised upon having a traditional TE type, but most of those guys don't have the requisite deep speed to become elite.
Neither of us were on the Pitts bandwagon. We need a guy that can really block. He also has to be an adequate receiver. Kittle is great at both. I’d be satisfied with a Freiermuth or a Witten. I think they are 3 guys in the draft that would fit what we need…Mayer, Washington, and Laporta.

Over the last two drafts, there have been 30 TEs drafted-- an average of 15 per year for those of you bad at maths.

This year's TE crew is considered to be very deep, one of the deepest in many years, and although Mayer is the only one predicted to go in the first round, there are at least 15 guys who show up on most lists of draftable TEs. When I look at their various ratings, one thing occurs to me... the gap between #2 and #15 (or so) isn't large. Then I add in the fact that so few TEs are worth a damn early in their career and I start thinking about value.

Who might slide down to our pick in the 6th round, and would we be willing to play a year with Smythe, Long, and Conner?

If you are believer in the value drafting game, I propose that this is a prime spot for this approach.
Interestingly enough, I've been looking at a few tight ends myself lately.

Neither of us were on the Pitts bandwagon. We need a guy that can really block. He also has to be an adequate receiver. Kittle is great at both. I’d be satisfied with a Freiermuth or a Witten. I think they are 3 guys in the draft that would fit what we need…Mayer, Washington, and Laporta.
I've never been especially high on drafting a TE early in the draft. It seems like a lot of them are self-made guys who might not be a stand out athlete.
Hell... Waller was a 6th round pick that took a few years before he finally arrived.
Kittle was a 5th round guy.
I think the high round guys are mostly slot TE types.

I've never been especially high on drafting a TE early in the draft. It seems like a lot of them are self-made guys who might not be a stand out athlete.
Hell... Waller was a 6th round pick that took a few years before he finally arrived.
Kittle was a 5th round guy.
I think the high round guys are mostly slot TE types.
You won’t find a better in line blocker than Darnell Washington. That guy blocks out the sun.

From what I've seen out of our three, this is how I see them.

Smythe: Decent blocker, but nothing special. Decent receiver, but again nothing special. Very average guy suited for career backup.
Long: Iffy blocker who has not improved due to lack of playing time and injuries. Marginal receiver without top speed or quickness. Looks like he'll top out at Smythe.
Conner: Pure slot TE. Gesicki type but without Gesicki's height or hands. I know the team likes him, but he looks like a big slot to me.

We are three deep in the depth department. Long might surprise, but Conner is too small for this offense. I completely agree that we need a starter, but I'm going back to the idea that VERY few rookie TEs are worth a damn, and drafting one while thinking he'll be our starter... is probably a longshot.

D.Washington is a 3rd tackle on the field.He is equally good in pass pro as arun blocker.
He can be used as lead blocker,backside seal anywhere.in addition red zone nightmare
watch his film
A guy like this could very well work in our offense, providing more of an available dump off target than as a first option in the passing offense.
Plus, he's so damned tall, he'd be a tough cover in the red zone.

Crapshoot whether or not he is still there by the time we pick.Ithink he would solidify
our off. and put us in top5.Iwould also try to sigm E.Moreau from Oak. solid all round tight end

Back
Top Bottom