Tight Ends... in general | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tight Ends... in general

#52 is way too rich for him, I agree with Danny, he(or another TE like LaPorta)could be had in R3.

I don't think we have a more pressing need other than taking a TE at 52. Maybe a LG since we really do not have a LG, but it will be easier to find a LG later.
I would not draft a TE unless it's Payne Durham, right now. I do not see another TE in that range nor later who had 14 TDs the last two season with 100 catches and that size. 6-5, 255 and can block.

Indeed, the TE class seems to be pretty good. Darnell Washington would be awesome in round 2 but idk if he falls to our pick. Another option that I might look at in round 2 is Tucker Kraft. He has been flying under the radar but is finally getting some recognition. His draft stock is going to rise a lot. Although he ran fast at the senior bowl, I wouldn't even consider Luke Musgrave because he is almost a copy and paste of Gesicki. Sam Laporta in round 3 could be good, but his blocking needs a little bit of help. Payne Durham, who I think might be a little underrated, would be another excellent selection in round 3 as he is a beast at blocking. I haven't gotten to look at the later round dudes yet, but Noah Gindorff is another good blocker.

OP wants TE's that can block inline and might drop to rd6. Tough ask - most mentioned won't last to 6. Maybe Schoonmaker - and he can block. Maybe Ben Sims from Baylor? Big, good blocker - looks like he was asked to do a lot of frontside zone blocking for them, good routes, reliable. Not much speed, though. Maybe Davis Allen from Clemson -again looked well rounded, big, but not a great athlete. OK, though.

OP wants TE's that can block inline and might drop to rd6. Tough ask - most mentioned won't last to 6. Maybe Schoonmaker - and he can block. Maybe Ben Sims from Baylor? Big, good blocker - looks like he was asked to do a lot of frontside zone blocking for them, good routes, reliable. Not much speed, though. Maybe Davis Allen from Clemson -again looked well rounded, big, but not a great athlete. OK, though.
I like the idea of waiting on a TE, mostly because I just don't believe any rookie TE will move the needle all that much.
But I also like the idea of trading down a time or two in order to add more picks. If we do this, then making a TE selection in rounds 4 or 5 is a possibility.

Indeed, the TE class seems to be pretty good. Darnell Washington would be awesome in round 2 but idk if he falls to our pick. Another option that I might look at in round 2 is Tucker Kraft. He has been flying under the radar but is finally getting some recognition. His draft stock is going to rise a lot. Although he ran fast at the senior bowl, I wouldn't even consider Luke Musgrave because he is almost a copy and paste of Gesicki. Sam Laporta in round 3 could be good, but his blocking needs a little bit of help. Payne Durham, who I think might be a little underrated, would be another excellent selection in round 3 as he is a beast at blocking. I haven't gotten to look at the later round dudes yet, but Noah Gindorff is another good blocker.
Good call on Kraft. I really like LaPorta as well.

Any opinions on Josh Wylie? Haven't seen any discussion on him.

If TE is a need, and it is in Miami, you fill it in FA - not the draft. It's well and good to draft a TE to develop, but you don't go into a draft with needs at TE unless you think your team is a year or more away from competing.

I feel completely the opposite. The draft is where you get the TE because there aren't' good ones in free agency, and when there are they are expensive, unlike the defensive backs for example, or the running backs or the linebacker position.

I feel completely the opposite. The draft is where you get the TE because there aren't' good ones in free agency, and when there are they are expensive, unlike the defensive backs for example, or the running backs or the linebacker position.

I didn't say don't draft TE's. I said don't draft TE's to fill needs. DB's are more expensive than TE's, though.

I didn't say don't draft TE's. I said don't draft TE's to fill needs. DB's are more expensive than TE's, though.

Dolphins have the need for #1 TE, They do not have one on the roster. They cannot get one in free agency. They cannot get one in a trade. The best they can get is #2 or even #3 quality tight end, and they can get one by paying the price of #1 in a competitive marketplace.
Maybe having a couple of #2 TEs is good enough. Bama played with Cameron Latu and he is not #1 TE quality, and maybe that is good enough in our run and shoot offense, but it is not good to overpay for the position in free agency just because you need better tight ends because you will still have a void at #1 quality TE, you won't solve the problem and you will overpay in free agency.

#1 tight ends are rare, there is only one spot on offense for a tight end and there are only a few, a couple, one, none that can be selected in the draft each year. It's akin to QB position. There are 3 starting spots for corners, linebackers. Those positions are available in abundance in the draft and free agency.

I don't know how important TE is in our run and shoot. Maybe WR#3 is more important or even critical. But I would expect that we will run the ball and a TE is needed for blocking and as a passing threat in option reads; that we will run 2-wideout sets and a TE is important in the passing game in those sets. And I would presume that the #1 TE is needed to run all that rather than to mix and match peronnel and signal the play calling pre snap to defenses. In any case, we do not have #1 TE on the roster, and it is doubtful whether Smythe and Long are even good enough to be #2. We will not get one in a trade, and we will not get one in free agency, We need to draft one.
And to hit on one, they need to select one based on frame, athleticism, and production. All of it. Not just looking at the film and saying I like this guys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom