Tight Ends... in general | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tight Ends... in general

Two things separate the top TE’s in the league from their peers - physicality and change of direction. Those are the traits that separate Kelce, Kittle and Goedert.

It’s not catch radius or anything anecdotal like the traits Gesicki possesses. It’s things that are consistent and reliable play after play. They also have great hips and play with tremendous pad level.

The issue with Darnell Washington is that he doesn’t have great hips. He can’t separate and change direction like those guys.
I’m generally not one to dwell on missed opportunities, but goddamn I really wanted Goedert in that draft! If I ever met Adam Gase i would kick him in the crotch over that decision…

I’m generally not one to dwell on missed opportunities, but goddamn I really wanted Goedert in that draft! If I ever met Adam Gase i would kick him in the crotch over that decision…
I felt the same way.

Goedert was the better all around prospect but Gase wanted the big WR instead.

That was kind of like trading up for Liam Eichenberg instead of drafting Creed Humphrey. :DWN:

I’d like to take a shot on Jordan Akins from the Texans. He was a handful against us, fighting for extra yards. He’s a big bodied TE who might have a little something more than people realize.

He’s already 30 so he shouldn’t cost much.

He finished the season strong, catching the game winning semi-hail Mary TD and 2 point conversion that cost Houston the No.1 pick.

Over the last two drafts, there have been 30 TEs drafted-- an average of 15 per year for those of you bad at maths.

This year's TE crew is considered to be very deep, one of the deepest in many years, and although Mayer is the only one predicted to go in the first round, there are at least 15 guys who show up on most lists of draftable TEs. When I look at their various ratings, one thing occurs to me... the gap between #2 and #15 (or so) isn't large. Then I add in the fact that so few TEs are worth a damn early in their career and I start thinking about value.

Who might slide down to our pick in the 6th round, and would we be willing to play a year with Smythe, Long, and Conner?

If you are believer in the value drafting game, I propose that this is a prime spot for this approach.
I agree in general. But to me TE is far more valuable to Miami's O then most teams. Also while TE is deep our O requires a more traditional/all around TE. So a lot of these TE basically are off the board for Miami as they can't handle the TE position in Miami.

The importance of TE (a solid all around one) is huge in our O. Most NFL teams run 11 personnel a vast majority of the time. Miami is one of the few that doesn't. We run 12,21 and 22 a lot. So not only do we not have 3WRs on the field we may have 2 TEs. Look at most teams the top 3 WRs get a lot if targets, in Miami (SF as well) after the top 2 WRs the targets start going to TEs and RBs at a much higher rate.

We really need a all around TE. One that can block inline, block in space, and be a receiver. Smythe was a good inline blocker but below average blocker in space and below average receiver(slow as heck into his routes). MG well he was a disaster in preseason (a few early games) we asked to play that role. Long who knows showed so decent iline blocking but nothing else yet. So TE is a major need.

As I mentioned earlier while the draft in deep in TEs, a lot won't fit the TE position in Miami. I haven't look at all the TEs in this draft but a couple I like so far. Of the top guys (outside Mayer) I really like Washington. Maybe the most physically gifted in the draft. He has length and size. He also as good feet and quickness Good inline blocker in pass pro, and good run blocker in space. Has shown to be a good receiver when targeted (played with Bowers). Biggest weakness is he doesn't have the high gear so wouldn't draw much safety over the top help. Though that really isn't huge as that is Hill and Waddles job. I think he would have huge upside in our O. But would need to use 2nd round pick and if he tests good may not even drop to there.

Another guy like (michigan fan so have seen a lot) is Shoonmaker as a later round guy. While nit amazing at any one thing, he is all around solid. Got plus length and solid pass pro blocking. Solid hands and toughness over the middle. Played a lot in a NFL heavy TE O at Michigan, so learning curve should be less. Big knock on him is also lack of second gear, so not a downfield seam TE.

Dalton Kincaid is right there with those guys
Question with Kincaid is can he handle the physicality inline at the NFL level, especially in Miami's O. A lot of people believe he is close to maxed out at 240 on his frame. They list him at 6'4 but I really think he may be like 6'3. Reminds me of close to Charles Clay type build.

@Feverdream
How do you feel about?
  • Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa
Very, VERY green. Another year of college would have really helped him.
He has the size I'm looking for and he's had decent production, but the lack of experience pushes him down my board.
3rd round maybe.

I agree in general. But to me TE is far more valuable to Miami's O then most teams. Also while TE is deep our O requires a more traditional/all around TE. So a lot of these TE basically are off the board for Miami as they can't handle the TE position in Miami.

The importance of TE (a solid all around one) is huge in our O. Most NFL teams run 11 personnel a vast majority of the time. Miami is one of the few that doesn't. We run 12,21 and 22 a lot. So not only do we not have 3WRs on the field we may have 2 TEs. Look at most teams the top 3 WRs get a lot if targets, in Miami (SF as well) after the top 2 WRs the targets start going to TEs and RBs at a much higher rate.

We really need a all around TE. One that can block inline, block in space, and be a receiver. Smythe was a good inline blocker but below average blocker in space and below average receiver(slow as heck into his routes). MG well he was a disaster in preseason (a few early games) we asked to play that role. Long who knows showed so decent iline blocking but nothing else yet. So TE is a major need.

As I mentioned earlier while the draft in deep in TEs, a lot won't fit the TE position in Miami. I haven't look at all the TEs in this draft but a couple I like so far. Of the top guys (outside Mayer) I really like Washington. Maybe the most physically gifted in the draft. He has length and size. He also as good feet and quickness Good inline blocker in pass pro, and good run blocker in space. Has shown to be a good receiver when targeted (played with Bowers). Biggest weakness is he doesn't have the high gear so wouldn't draw much safety over the top help. Though that really isn't huge as that is Hill and Waddles job. I think he would have huge upside in our O. But would need to use 2nd round pick and if he tests good may not even drop to there.

Another guy like (michigan fan so have seen a lot) is Shoonmaker as a later round guy. While nit amazing at any one thing, he is all around solid. Got plus length and solid pass pro blocking. Solid hands and toughness over the middle. Played a lot in a NFL heavy TE O at Michigan, so learning curve should be less. Big knock on him is also lack of second gear, so not a downfield seam TE.

Agree with most of this, and Shoon is a guy that I look for in mocks... not early, but if he slides a bit, I could be tempted.

I completely agree that we need a Y-type TE, to maximize what we do, so I don't even look at the lighter guys; there's no point. We have Conner for that. The fact that we stashed him all year means the coaches see a role for him.

I don't want to go TE in R2

I would go TE at #51. I see TE as the #1 need of the team with the loss of Gesicki. We do not have the #1 TE on the roster and we will not be able to sign a top TE in free agency because budget is tight. In addition, other contenders have top TEs, like the Eagles and the Chiefs.

Looking at the depth chart, I do not see a more pressing need that the TE. There are needs at linebacker and running back but those can filled in free agency.

1675870301721.png

It would depend on who is there when the Fins pick.

IF Washington was somehow there I would be all for it.

I don't think there will be a good value TE on the board at #52.

Kincaid is not a good enough blocker to be a scheme fit and he will probably be gone anyway.

LaPorta might be a good fit but I am not over drafting him just to fill a need.

The way you feel about Washington, I feel that way about Payne Durham. Id take him at 51 and fill the pressing need.

The way you feel about Washington, I feel that way about Payne Durham. Id take him at 51 and fill the pressing need.
I like Payne Durham a lot but no need to take him at 51.....he'll be there in round 3.......I agree we need to draft one and it has nothing to do with Gesicki leaving.....he was never a TE-1 anyway

#52 is way too rich for him, I agree with Danny, he(or another TE like LaPorta)could be had in R3.

Miami has enough needs to be able to go BPA at #52 and get a good player who will contribute early.................or trade down a bit to recoup some mid round or future picks.

Back
Top Bottom