Tight Ends Played Poorly...all Of Them.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tight Ends Played Poorly...all Of Them..

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know DREW ROSENHAUS is going to take back his comment on the air tonight. Just last week...he stated that he thought that rookie TE RANDY McMICHAEL from Georgia would give JED WEAVER an instant battle for the starting Te position.
Well.....so far Te RANDY MCMiCHAEL...and the rest of his position-players....are off to a not so impressive start. This was the talk of the talk up there....the Te's not having a good day.

McMichael had at least 4 drops from my memory...and these were all catchable balls. He seemed not fluid at all....very stiff for a TE....and that is what we noticed. We did not see that atleticism that we saw on those films....he plainly looked lost out there.

JED WEAVER had trouble with his containment blocks...with some of the DE's overpowering him. Jed dropped at least 3 passes that I saw....and he was working with the first team. I have noticed that he has gained some bulk....but he needs to have that extra weight regardless. Just did not make enough plays...and he got lots of chances to get open....which he had lots of trouble getting open.

ALONZO MAYES.....A big dissapointement in the coaches eyes right now. You can use his butt as a Wide Screen TV right now...and after he catches a pass...he has no spark....you can see it. Mayes has ballooned his weight....and this....given the fact that the DOlphins gave him the chance of a lifetime...when they released HUNTER GOODWIN. That says it all as far as his motivation is concerned as a football player. MAYES is in WAnny's doghouse......and I believe he is there to stay. This is a guy who must get better and lose some weight before JULY.

ED PERRY....got very little work in any pass-drills....we all know what his role is on this team.

SHAWN DRAPER.....according to the beat writers....this guy is really not in the mix....and quite frankly...the team brass is not that high on. They really do not know what to make of this tweener. A very limited ball-player....who probably will not make the team....if he does not step up his game...in a hurry.

Overalll.......like I said. The TE position is literally up for grabs. This is early...there is no panic yet....but this group as a whole...in these sessions...were simply horrible. There were a few catches here and there....by both McMicheal and Weaver....yes.....it was not like a shut-out.....but in this offense....these guys need to find the creases and get the hell open...and then do something with the football. And this is the element that we did not see.......the Qb-TE's were simply not in any harmony or rhythym. It was bad....and it needs to improve.

Like I said....the Dolphins have contacted the agent for former Bengals TE.....McGee.....but WANNY and Spielman have different views.

DREW said that his client....ROB KONRAD has been told that he WILL NOT be tried at TE....by TURNER. He will be in that H-BACK role however....where he lines up behind the line of scrimmage as a reciever. KOnrad will be in motion quite a bit this season...so look for that.

The Dolphins have ZERO confidence in ED PERRY as a TE....according to both PERKINS and MARVEZ. And they told me...that they really don't know why. He is in very good shape...they say.

Lots of folks say that we should have brought in KEN DILGER...who apparantly had contacted the Dolphins.....but we never really showed much of a response.

I am not saying at all....that McMichael is going to be a bust or anything like that. But I was a bit surprised of his lack of making anything happen out there....I will say that.

Its going to be interesting to see what WANNY says about his TE play tommorrow.....like he said last week----its indeed wide open...
DCH

Well, it's like with everyone else in this new offense. This offense has a timing based passing game. Before anyone starts looking good, there will be reps upon reps upon reps. The receivers have to know exactly how many steps it takes them to run a certain route. Fiedler is going to have to have a clock in his head that knows how long it takes a receiver to run the route called.

I still think McMichael has a real good chance as long as he is willing to pay the price. For this passing game to be where we need it to be, the QBs and receivers are going to have to put in extra work after practices.

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
I know DREW ROSENHAUS is going to take back his comment on the air tonight. Just last week...he stated that he thought that rookie TE RANDY McMICHAEL from Georgia would give JED WEAVER an instant battle for the starting Te position.
Well.....so far Te RANDY MCMiCHAEL...and the rest of his position-players....are off to a not so impressive start. This was the talk of the talk up there....the Te's not having a good day.

McMichael had at least 4 drops from my memory...and these were all catchable balls. He seemed not fluid at all....very stiff for a TE....and that is what we noticed. We did not see that atleticism that we saw on those films....he plainly looked lost out there.

JED WEAVER had trouble with his containment blocks...with some of the DE's overpowering him. Jed dropped at least 3 passes that I saw....and he was working with the first team. I have noticed that he has gained some bulk....but he needs to have that extra weight regardless. Just did not make enough plays...and he got lots of chances to get open....which he had lots of trouble getting open.

ALONZO MAYES.....A big dissapointement in the coaches eyes right now. You can use his butt as a Wide Screen TV right now...and after he catches a pass...he has no spark....you can see it. Mayes has ballooned his weight....and this....given the fact that the DOlphins gave him the chance of a lifetime...when they released HUNTER GOODWIN. That says it all as far as his motivation is concerned as a football player. MAYES is in WAnny's doghouse......and I believe he is there to stay. This is a guy who must get better and lose some weight before JULY.

ED PERRY....got very little work in any pass-drills....we all know what his role is on this team.

SHAWN DRAPER.....according to the beat writers....this guy is really not in the mix....and quite frankly...the team brass is not that high on. They really do not know what to make of this tweener. A very limited ball-player....who probably will not make the team....if he does not step up his game...in a hurry.

Overalll.......like I said. The TE position is literally up for grabs. This is early...there is no panic yet....but this group as a whole...in these sessions...were simply horrible. There were a few catches here and there....by both McMicheal and Weaver....yes.....it was not like a shut-out.....but in this offense....these guys need to find the creases and get the hell open...and then do something with the football. And this is the element that we did not see.......the Qb-TE's were simply not in any harmony or rhythym. It was bad....and it needs to improve.

Like I said....the Dolphins have contacted the agent for former Bengals TE.....McGee.....but WANNY and Spielman have different views.

DREW said that his client....ROB KONRAD has been told that he WILL NOT be tried at TE....by TURNER. He will be in that H-BACK role however....where he lines up behind the line of scrimmage as a reciever. KOnrad will be in motion quite a bit this season...so look for that.

The Dolphins have ZERO confidence in ED PERRY as a TE....according to both PERKINS and MARVEZ. And they told me...that they really don't know why. He is in very good shape...they say.

Lots of folks say that we should have brought in KEN DILGER...who apparantly had contacted the Dolphins.....but we never really showed much of a response.

I am not saying at all....that McMichael is going to be a bust or anything like that. But I was a bit surprised of his lack of making anything happen out there....I will say that.

Its going to be interesting to see what WANNY says about his TE play tommorrow.....like he said last week----its indeed wide open...
DCH

DCH,

Thanks for the insight from minicamp. Even though it's not encouraging news at this point, it's still very early. I for one, want to hear honesty when it comes to a 'phin fan attending minicamps. I don't want to hear someone being totally bias and completely sugar coating the situation and overall play of the players. Keep up the great insight DCH, it's greatly appreciated by us all.;)

dch, tony mcgee signed with dallas yesterday...i am one of the people that said we should have gone after dilger...hopefully jay riemersma will get released because buffalo also signed dave moore or someone else will get released on june 1st...

THANK JD....HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!!

IF MCGEE DID SIGN UP WITH DALLAS....THEN YOU HAD SOMETHING THAT NOBODY SITTING UP THERE....KNEW ABOUT. GOOD JOB.

It's too bad that STICKM is outlawed, because if Ed Perry had that on his hands, Miami would have one helluva TE!! :)

McMicheals has a lot to learn, for one thing shutting his mouth, another would be watching some of the Wr's run their routes.

One thing I noticed about him on Friaday was that he can be fluid, and has potential, but if he is like advertised, and pretty much refuses to block then well.....we can only hope for something good on June 1st cuts!

the only positive thing you can is that the TEs sucked the last 2 years, too. So it is not like the position suddenly became a liability. We'll hoped that McMichael and/or Jed could step it up to fill their new role in Norv's O, but looks like that may not be true in 2002 :(

Norv will adjust.

If it takes McMichael a while to get things going, Norv will just use a lot of Rob Konrad in the H-Back role. Konrad may have 60 receptions this year, because I really feel he will be used extensively as a receiver once Norv can install the entire offense.

It's really too early to start worrying about McMichael. I hope you didn't expect him to be Shannon Sharpe immediately. It's going to take him a little bit to get used to what it takes at the NFL level. He'll be starting before the year is over, IMO.

Originally posted by KB21
It's really too early to start worrying about McMichael.
I am sure you're right KB, but I am more worried about Jed. I thought he showed a lot of promise as a receiver, but coaches were concerned about his blocking. If he struggles as a rec., I will be very disappointed. :(

We need someone on the team with a mustache like that:goof:

Back
Top Bottom