Tim Bowens one super happy camper... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tim Bowens one super happy camper...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this flew under everyone's radar or not...

But a little while ago I started a thread about the fact that Brendan Stai, who was signed by the Patriots to upgrade their interior OL at RG, retired suddenly. This would be the 3rd time in a row the Pats signed a RG to start over Joe Andruzzi and Mike Compton, and the guy has retired within weeks or even days of signing with Belichick.

Its becoming infectious.

Former Pro Bowl RG Tom Nutten (I believe he's been to a pro bowl a while ago) was signed by the Jets to replace the departed Randy Thomas, who was one of the many players Washington stole from the Jets.

He's now decided to retire.

JETS STRUGGLES CONTINUE

Though the New York Jets front office has managed (for now) to put behind it the mass offseason player exodus that included bungled tenders of Laveranues Coles and Chad Morton, the eternal wellspring of hope that accompanies even the worst of teams during the first few weeks is dissipating already in Gotham.

League insiders are pointing to the sudden retirement of guard Tom Nutten as further evidence of the fiasco that began with Coles and Morton and continued with the indefinite suspension of defensive tackle Josh Evans. Nutten was heralded as the replacement for guard Randy Thomas, a free-agent who was pilfered by the Redskins early in the signing period.

In the end, Nutten will never play a down for the Jets.

The questions aren't confined to the front office. Our sources are telling that us that Herm Edwards' decision to shut down training camp a week early is further evidence that he's too much like his mentor.

Edwards has "Tony Dungy disease," said one league source. "He's a pushover for his players."

It remains to be seen whether the Jets will be pushovers for their opponents when the real games start. All signs, however, are pointing to a big step backward in 2003.

This written by Pro Football Talk.

Tim Bowens now goes up against who...well probably former Dolphin Brent Smith! Smith has caught on up there and they say he looks good at guard. But he's no Tom Nutten, and lord knows the Jets can't count on Smith to stay healthy.

Things just got more interesting in the AFC East.

Next up...Bills starting RG Marques Sullivan retires after a short 2 year career.

CK, I thought that Brent Smith had beaten out Nutten for the starting spot. SO I don't think this affects the Jets as much as we like. I always thought that Brent Smith was a good Left Tackle in pass plays. I was never impressed with him on running plays and blocking down field. This bodes well for our 3 inside guy getting penetartion on Curtis Martin.

Smith had gotten ahead of Nutten. But Nutten's retirement shortly thereafter hints that his heart hadn't been in it for a while. Either way, the Jets took a huge hit in the depth department. At backup guard, they've got JP Machado (who backs up center), 2003 7th rounder Dave Yovanovits (who's a whopping 274 lbs), and 2002 5th rounder Jon Goodwin.

Not the greatest depth in the world.

I know it's the Jets but I don't think they will be too dangerous this year. I would rather see someone on the Pats or the Bills retire...

Originally posted by dolfan4good
CK, I thought that Brent Smith had beaten out Nutten for the starting spot. SO I don't think this affects the Jets as much as we like. I always thought that Brent Smith was a good Left Tackle in pass plays. I was never impressed with him on running plays and blocking down field. This bodes well for our 3 inside guy getting penetartion on Curtis Martin.

That might matter if he was in as Tackle, but he's in as Guard. The guy who should be happy is Zach because he might actually be able to get past Mawae for a change.

Let's get some over/unders then :lol: Tim Bowens 5 sacks...Over or Under...I say under :lol:

Originally posted by Prime Time
Let's get some over/unders then :lol: Tim Bowens 5 sacks...Over or Under...I say under :lol:

A better question would be over/under for the teams sack numbers. We did VERY well in that department last season, but I'll throw my homer cap on and say that we do even better this season...over.

I hadn't heard that Smith had gotten ahead of Nutten. What I heard is that Smith was doing really well and was putting pressure on both Nutten and Szott...making a case for himself.

Either way the retirement means that overall the Jets went from Randy Thomas at RG, to Brent Smith at RG, and they wasted lots of time and salary cap space in the process on Tom Nutten. The thinking up until now had been that the only guy the Jets lost that they had not properly replaced with someone comparable, was Laveraneous Coles...and I believe Pete Prisco said this himself.

Now add Randy Thomas to that list is what I'm sayin. What a disastrous offseason. A real rare disastrous too because it wasn't like the Jets had just bought their way into contending for a Super Bowl and were now faced with like $20 mil over the cap losing all their great players a la Baltimore (lost Starks, Sharper, Goose, Adams, McCrary, Sharpe, in like one or two offseasons). And I like how Jet fans just take it for granted that there's "no way" they could have matched Coles' contract. Yeah, they could have. I saw the figures, the base salary was low to compensate for the high bonus. This was a 3rd year WR who had just caught almost 1300 yards in a system without a good 2nd WR in it. Undisputed #1 WR, good size, and extremely fast. And now you've got the QB who can get him the ball, and instead of keeping your good player, you let him go like Keyshawn. If there was ever a player you could feel safe committing $13 million in bonus to, its Coles. They could have afforded it, but they made a bad decision...just like the damn near countless other bad decisions the Jets front office has made this offseason.

God why hasn't Terry Bradway been fired yet???

Smith had already beaten Nutten for the starting job and the speculation was that he was not willing to be a backup so he retired.

either way, the depth chart for the RG spot is a sight for sore eyes. teh question is not wether tim bowens gets 5 sacks or more, it is whether zgonina gets 5 or more.

Back
Top Bottom