Tim Bowens--"You don't want this smoke." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tim Bowens--"You don't want this smoke."

Hoot

Keeper of the Old Code
Club Member
Reaction score
On getting drafted:
Shula called him and said he wanted him in Miami the next day. Start getting in shape. Bowens told him, give me about a week lol.

OJ remembers his strength:
Bowens would roll into weight room and rep 315 like it was nothing.

Bowens on Zach Thomas
"I remember him hitting Shawn Jefferson and he had snot coming out of his nose. I said, he ready. After that, Zach was the QB of the defense. Whatever Zach do to get us into position to make plays, so be it. But Zach always made plays. Always around the ball. Dissect plays before it even happened. A lot of people want to give me credit for Zach, but nah. He would tell you what's coming before it even happened. I respect him for that. He was always studying putting the work in."

Last edited:
Timbo and Gardener were the best DT duo we've ever had-- just excellent players...

...and I want to point this out for a reason.

BOTH of them had their careers derailed early because of back issues. Remember this when you see an available player who has a back issue... and stay away! Great players quickly morph into retired players when back issues strike.

Timbo and Gardener were the best DT duo we've ever had-- just excellent players...

BOTH of them had their careers derailed early because of back issues. Remember this when you see an available player who has a back issue... and stay away! Great players quickly morph into retired players when back issues strike.
I remember watching a game when I was young and dumb(er) and the announcers mentioning one of them missing the game due to back spasms.

I was like WTH? Work it loose and get in there.

30 plus years and a L5S1 herniation later and I can barely stand up straight at times let alone imagine playing a NFL game. 300lbs and back injuries are bad news.

I met Daryl Gardner once when i was like 8 years old; the guy was built like an oak tree.

On getting drafted:
Shula called him and said he wanted him in Miami the next day. Start getting in shape. Bowens told him, give me about a week lol.

OJ remembers his strength:
Bowens would roll into weight room and rep 315 like it was nothing.

Bowens on Zach Thomas
"I remember him hitting Shawn Jefferson and he had snot coming out of his nose. I said, he ready. After that, Zach was the QB of the defense. Whatever Zach do to get us into position to make plays, so be it. But Zach always made plays. Always around the ball. Dissect plays before it even happened. A lot of people want to give me credit for Zach, but nah. He would tell you what's coming before it even happened. I respect him for that. He was always studying putting the work in."

Gotta love it.

I'm generally surprised back problems to the extent that guys in the trenches have to call it a career doesn't happen more often.

It's brutal down there play after play. Bisons going at each other strenght on strenght..

Insanity!

Back
Top Bottom